Good morning everyone,
Cold front erases East heat
Kevin Roth, Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
Jun .21, 2012 4:46 am ET
- Very hot temperatures continue across the region today.
- Temperatures will be 10 to 20 degrees above average with a few records possible.
- From Virginia to southern New Hampshire high temperatures will be in a 95 to 100 degree range this afternoon.
- Across the remainder of the region highs should be in the 80s to middle 90s.
- The only chance of cooling thunderstorms today is near the mountains from Maine to the Virginias, but they will be few and far between.
- A cold front moves through the region with better chances of thunderstorms tomorrow.
- Some thunderstorms may contain strong wind gusts and hail, especially from northern Virginia to Connecticut.
- More importantly the cold front will lower temperatures back into the 70s and 80s for the weekend.
- Even cooler temperatures are likely early next week.
- The heat erasing cold front moves through the Great Lakes, middle Mississippi Valley and Ohio Valley producing showers and thunderstorms today.
- Some storms may produce gusty winds and small hail in the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley.
- Temperatures remain hot with highs in the upper 80s to middle 90s east of the cold front in southeast Michigan, the Ohio Valley and southeast Missouri.
- Slightly cooler temperatures with highs mainly in the 80s occur from Kansas to central Michigan.
- Highs will be mainly in the 70s to lower 80s from Nebraska to northern Michigan.
- A few showers or thundershowers are possible this afternoon in eastern North Dakota and northern Minnesota.
- Much of the region will be dry with seasonably hot temperatures.
- Thunderstorms capable of producing heavy rainfall occur in western and southern Florida.
- Other scattered thunderstorms are possible in northern Florida and from northwest Arkansas to the Texas Panhandle.
- A few of the storms from Arkansas to Texas could produce hail and gusty winds this afternoon.
- Thunderstorms will be scattered about southern Texas again today.
- Some pop-up thunderstorms occur in eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina and extreme northeast Georgia this afternoon and evening.
- High temperatures should mostly be in an 85 to 95 degree range, although a few upper 90s and lower 100s are possible in southwest Texas.
- Dry and hot conditions for most of the region today.
- Isolated thunderstorms bubble up late this afternoon near the mountains of central Colorado and New Mexico.
- A few storms develop this afternoon near the mountains in western Oregon and northern California.
- Those storms may survive into northern Oregon and central Washington overnight.
- Showers or thunderstorms are also possible in the mountains of central Idaho later today or tonight.
- Temperatures should be 5 to 15 degrees above average from the Sierra and Cascade Mountains to the Rockies today and Friday.
- High temperatures mainly in an 85 to 100 degree range today.
- Cooler 60s and 70s occur along the coast and in western Washington.
- Deserts should swelter with temperatures of 105 to 120 degrees.
Current Storm Warnings and Watches
Current Weather Fronts:
Heat Index Forecast