Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Choice_Front or Back of Ship??

Margie Downey Guest

Cabin Choice_Front or Back of Ship??

Hi,just wondering what past experinces anyone has preferred in the front or back of boat?Which would have less movement?Pros and cons? We're on the Grandeur in July,,,and had always had midship lower deck..this time we're in front,may change location.Thanks Margie

Sunshine Guest

Re: Cabin Choice_Front or Back of Ship??

I always find it is bouncier toward the forward part of the ship. I prefer the aft or midship.
    JMO.

Einstein Guest

Motion should be the same for both the front and back. The back however on some ships allows easier access to other decks and on Princess it is Gr8 for getting to the aft pool and hot tub area and the Horizon Court Buffet.

just2classy Guest

If your not prone to seasickness, I wouldn't worry about motion. What is more important to me is what is directly above, as I don't want to be below any area that generates late night or early morning activity. It is a convenience to be fairly near an elevator and to be near the pool area or dining room. I have been both all the way foward and all the way back and the motion was not an issue.

sail7seas Guest

Most people think that mid-ship, mid-height is the absolute smoothest ride.

Right in the middle of the ship!!!

Richard Guest

Given front of back, I go with the front.

The back (stern) of the ship tends to have more yaw motion than the front -- i.e., that side to side motion, as contrasted from pitch (up & down) and roll.

paulfredo Guest

I take aft whenever I can... Like to watch the wake disappear into the distance, and can see port and starboard, as well as aft. I don't worry about motion, it's not a factor in our calculations... we like some motion... and if it gets really rough, we have Relief Band if there are any symptoms. I also like the aft location for getting to the things we like to do.

paulfredo

CruisingBryan Guest

May I be allowed to disagree with the theories about forward versus aft cabins and the motion thereof. The bow is where the the ship meets the sea, therefore it will "pound" if the sea is rough, also it will "dive" in the trough if the swells are long and then "porpoise" up the other side. There is no pounding at the aft and the motion is much smoother. Since the aft is joined to the fore, physics will tell you that it cannot move from side to side more at one end than the other.

There is no question that the smoothest ride is at the fulcrum, or dead center of the ship, measured fore and aft and from top deck to keel.

Here endeth the first lesson!!

Benita Guest

I would take the center of the ship, but try to be near a staircase. We were on the Grand Princess and took a cabin right in the center - the problem is there is no access to stairs in the middle - long waits for elevators or hikes to the front or back for the stairs. We did find the crew's staircase, behind a door in the middle and ignored the "crew only" signs and used that for access.

Kathy Atkins Guest

Midship for me thank you! And no where near stairwell's or elevator's, or near dining or reccreational area's. Guess I'm not to hard to please, huh?! :grin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast