Close
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How much money do cruise ship workers make?

time2sail Guest

How much money do cruise ship workers make?

I am very curious about this and thought I would ask it here because surely someone here knows. I know they can't make much. But I was wondering how much that steward who was so immaculate with our room 2x a day on RCI made in one week. NOT counting tips. Thanks for the info.

dezertcruzer Guest

Re: How much money do cruise ship workers make?

Last I knew, and it varies from company to company, workers who earn tips; waiters, asst waiters, stewards, bartenders, etc, make about $50 er month salary.

Jim Guest

I can tell you this....a couple we meet on the Zaandam have put 4 of their kids through college back in the Phillipines.
    Cruise Directors make serious $$$$..Somebody gets the "vig" from the shops they send you to at every Port briefing.

tutak Guest

I'll bet that the Captain makes more than I do.

GloBug Guest

Tutak, he probably does, but he has to cruise all the time. Would YOU want to do that?

Cruizer Guest

tutak Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > I'll bet that the Captain makes more than I do.
    >
    >

The captain has a LOT of responsibility. If you are home in bed and your kid crashes your car, you don't get blamed. But if the captain is asleep and the 2nd officer crashes the ship, it is the captain who gets blamed.

Also, you don't make captain simply by knowing what H2O stands for.

nvcruzaholic Guest

We were on the Ryndam last year and one of the sound engineers struck up a conversation, the wages he said were very dependant on the job but for example, the crew who were doing the maintenance on the hull, he said made about $200 per month plus their room & board but they are responsible for buying all their personal items (shampoo, toothpaste, off-duty clothing, etc...) He went on to say that while that sounds horrible and it IS not great, it is more money than most of the employees could ever make in their home countries.

It made us very humble and grateful for all our blessings!!! We are proud and honored to be an American but ashamed of all those you take our great country and freedoms for granted!

MortgageChick Guest

Cruizer , I'm not sure where you live, but where I live I would be responsible if my kid smashed up my car. The registered owner and the insured (ME) would be paying. That is why when DD was 17 I bought her an old car , put it in her name and paid to put insurance in her name only. Sweet kid, but I am not up to losing my house and life savings based on her driving habits.

As for the topic at hand. If they paid them a real wage, none of us could afford to pay the price of cruising, no matter what we make, nor would we want to.

I agree the wages are low, but for many, I believe the conditions are better , food more plentiful and the money far better than their home country. I don't feel sorry for them in the true sense as they are there or their own volition and with the exception of a few seem quite happy. It's like any job, you have to have the right attitude.

marvholly Guest

Thjis question has come up at least once a year for the last several years.

Personally, I wonder what business of ours another person's pay is. I have no clue what any of you earn. I have no clue what the checker at my local grocer earns, the counter person at the dry cleaner, the ticket taker at the local movie theater , the checkout or reference desk person at the library and so forth.

And iit is NONE of my business.

Cricket Guest

Actually, I see nothing wrong in being inquisative. In fact, this question could enlighten those who stiff these workers who work hard for their money. If they do their job right and work hard for you, then it is important to give a tip. As far as everyday jobs here at home goes, most people have an idea what they get paid. This question doesn't direct it at one particular person, but overall. I think it was interesting to see the difference it was between pay for a cruise director and for a room steward.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast