Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT-How do you get axle grease out of clothing?

12Cruise Guest

OT-How do you get axle grease out of clothing?

I am sick, I just walked outside to get some mums from this lady that I work with and I got axle grease from the trailer hitch on the back of her truck, on my skirt!!

Any ideas on how I can get it out?

It is one of my favorite skirts, too!! It couldn't be on a solid black skirt could it? Nooooo, it is on a blue and white checked Ruff Hewn skirt that I have had forever but never seems to wear out or go out of style. Ouch!!!

Signed,

Sad Rag (because if I don't get it out, that is what this skirt will be!)

Nija Guest

Re: OT-How do you get axle grease out of clothing?

hmmm you might try dawn dish soap......good luck

red stripe Guest

take it right away to a good dry cleaners.. do not try to do anything to it yourself.

Gayle V Guest

If the skirt is washable Lestoil will get it out. Rub a generous amount of Lestoil right on the grease and rub some of your dry laundry detergent into that. Then wash in warm water. Rarely, you may have to do it a second time. (And maybe even another washing just to get the Lestoil smell out of it. )

Before I learned that Lestoil works on grease I used to use (believe it or not) Crisco and hot soapy water. ( I learned that in chemistry class.) The crisco has emulsifiers in it. The oil base of the crisco allows it to mix in with the grease, while the emulsifiers break up the grease and allow it to mix with the water to be washed away. It does work.

If it's not washable in warm water, go back to the dry cleaner idea.

2TallMike Guest

Working with greasy cars all day, one of my laundry staples is WD40, spray it and wash it, that's all it takes. Assuming this is washable fabric, if not off to the dry cleaners.
    Also works well on tar, and duct tape residue.

Citygirl Guest

Gayle V, just curious, what is Lestoil and where do you get it?

Gayle V Guest

If you can't find Lestoil and decide to try the crisco, be sure to rub the dry laundry soap right into the crisco and grease and wash right away. Same with the Lestoil, wash it right away. Lestoil seems to dry rather quickly and the dry residual on the fabic does not work the same. ( Again let me say this needs to be a washable item of clothing.)

Gayle V Guest

Lestoil is a liquid household cleaner. It's usually in the floor cleaner section at the store, near the Mr. Clean and the Spic-n-Span. It's not a new product, actually has been around for years. Good luck.

debbi Guest

When we lived in Houston and went to Galveston often, we would get grease and oil on bodies and clothes. We used baby oil to get it off. It was suggested by boat owners there. That is how they got it off their boats.

nieciez Guest

I have used Lestoil to get gum out of upholstry, rugs and hair when the kids were young and careless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast