Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Heidi Guest

Penalties for smuggling in Cuban Cigars

<HTML>A friend of mine and I were having a discussion as to what the penalties are for trying (and failing) to smuggle Cuban Cigars into the United States. He seem to think that you are thrown in jail and I just think that you are fined. Does anyone know what happens to people who are caught doing this?

Thanks!

Heidi</HTML>

Ali Guest

Re: Penalties for smuggling in Cuban Cigars

<HTML>I tried to find my information on that from the last cruise, but I must have dumped it. I think it was $50.00 a cigar for the fine. I don't think jail time was involved. If I can come up with it, I'll post it again.</HTML>

Seawall Guest

<HTML>Whatever it is, I really don't think it's worth the risk. JMHO.</HTML>

The Bensley's Guest

<HTML>U.S. European Command Customs Executive Agency

Customs News Release

Treasury warns against Cuban cigar imports: By Robert Szostek, USEUCOM Customs PAO

Mannheim, Germany - The Treasury Department reports more people are trying to import Cuban cigars into the United States. However all Cuban products are banned from the USA and officials warn that penalties for attempted smuggling include confiscation of the items, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and, in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and imprisonment.

A military spokesman said U.S. personnel in Europe are specially at risk to falling foul of these laws. "There has been a recent revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking in Europe," said Norman Kaucher of the European Command’s customs executive agency, "and many Europeans buy Cuban cigars because they are traditionally considered to be among the best." Cuban products are not banned in Europe, he continued, and are therefore openly on sale in many places. Also, many Europeans now vacation in Cuba which may lead Americans stationed in Europe to think the U.S. embargo has been loosened. "This is not the case," Kaucher emphasized. Americans on shopping sprees to the Czech Republic or Poland should also be wary of buying Cuban products. These former Communist countries have strong trading links with Cuba and sell Cuban merchandise such as the cigars and rum.

A Treasury official said only people returning directly from Cuba after a licensed visit there are permitted to bring Cuban cigars into the United States, provided the value of the cigars does not exceed $100 and the cigars are not for resale. The prohibitions on Cuban goods are part of the economic sanctions against the Cuban government in place since 1963.</HTML>

Einstein Guest

<HTML>Definetly not worth the risk of the fines involved.</HTML>

Jim Munkittrick Guest

<HTML>When you are caught, and folks do get caught, you are asked..twice, if you would like to change yur declaration....hint, hint.
    If after tow times, customs will inspect luggage, etc and lo and behold, if they find "stuff" you are either: retained, fined or made to sail on Carnivor Curse lines during college semester break.

Ps. they use dogs. the dogs have got really great noses. AND, I am a cigar smoker, Cubans are very overrated..Buy a few, smoke them during the cruise. BUT be sure they are not stale! The inventory tends to sit around for awhile adn the locals may not utilize a humidor.

If you Cubans come in those Aluminum tubes..inspect them before you leave the sotre... watched a lady sream and yell when she discovered taht she had bought 20 EMPTY aluminum tubes in Cancun.</HTML>

Jean Guest

<HTML> I wouldn't do it not only because of the fine, but also because of the reasons they are not allowed into our country to begin with. I would not buy them on that principal alone.</HTML>

Toto Guest

<HTML>That is a huge fine for a few old stoggys, I don't think it would be worth the chance!</HTML>

Bibb Guest

<HTML>I can't understand why you would want to risk it.</HTML>

sail7seas Guest

<HTML>I can't think why anyone would put themselves at such a risk. If you want to sample a few while you are outside of the U.S., that's legal and okay. It is not legal to import them. It's breaking the law.

:ribbon</HTML>