Close
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    cruzship Guest

Retiree Makes Permanent Home on Cruise Ship

<HTML>
    LONDON (Reuters) - A retired British woman has decided to sail round the world permanently on a luxury cruise ship because it costs no more than staying in an old people's home, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

Beatrice Muller, 82, only pays 55 per cent of the official brochure price for making her home on the QE2 due to loyalty bonuses from five previous world cruises.

Muller chose to make the liner her full-time home after the death of her husband two years ago. She pays 3,424 pounds ($4,818) a month to reside in Cabin 4068.

The very basic, minimum cost of living in an old people's home in London is about 2,000 pounds, she told the Sunday Express.

And while her fellow pensioners while away their hours in a retirement home in Britain's damp climate, she travels the high seas, stopping at sunny destinations, playing bridge and dancing with handsome stewards.

``This is where I live and I love it,'' she told the newspaper. ``I don't have to do any shopping, I don't need to do any shopping, I don't need a car and there aren't any gas or phone bills.''

She enjoys films from the ship's cinema and communicates with her family by e-mail from the computer room.

``I would have to pay around the same to stay in an old people's home and it wouldn't nearly be as much fun as here,'' she told the newspaper.</HTML>

Mermaid Guest

Re: Retiree Makes Permanent Home on Cruise Ship

<HTML>She's got the right idea.</HTML>

Judi Guest

<HTML>I like it, I LIKE it!

There was a rumor many years ago that Helen Hayes had "permanent" residence in one of the suites on one of the Delta Steamboats.

I never did hear whether or not it was true!

~~~~~~~Judi in Hamilton NJ~~~~~~~
    Wishing You Blue Skies & Calm Seas</HTML>

cruzship Guest

<HTML>On long Island, that is cheaper than one of the better Assisted Living Homes!!</HTML>

KathyR Guest

<HTML>What a great way to retire, sure hope I can retire that way.

Happy Cruising,
    Kathy R</HTML>

DougH Guest

<HTML>Sounds great for the future but I see that I now need to take at least 5 world cruises before I retire! At least now I have a goal to shoot for :)

Doug</HTML>

CruisinPat Guest

<HTML>What a great idea!</HTML>

Seawall Guest

<HTML>Ms. Muller is one smart lady!!</HTML>

judy Guest

<HTML>There was a story on 20/20 or something like it about a California woman who is doing the same thing aboard a Princess(I think) ship. Sounds like it would be great.
    Smooth sailing
    judy</HTML>

dizy Guest

<HTML>Read about Mrs. Muller in this morning's paper. Great idea. There used to be a lady who stayed on board a HAL ship for most of the year. Nice way to spend your retirement. Certainly better than in a "home".</HTML>