Close
Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    John Guest

Sad to announce that Barbara Carter has passed away.

I recently was notified by her Husband Wes Carter that his wife Barbara has passed away on January 24. He wrote "For all the friends we’ve cherished for just a few or many years..... my beloved wife and lifelong companion of 36+ years died this evening,
    after a courageous battle with ovarian cancer. She was with me, close
    relatives and friends when she passed on. Her tremendous pain and
    suffering are over. She was my life; she was my soul.... I will miss
    her dearly.... as will all those she touched. Wes".

My condolences to Wes and his family. Barbara's passing was very big suprise to me as I'm sure to many others who will be reading this for the first time. Life is surely a river that continues to flow and stop for no man until it reaches the sea of heaven.
    God Bless.

Obituary Notice

Barbara Carter, Local Business Owner, Loved People, Cruise Enthusiast

OLD ORCHARD BEACH, ME - Barbara Carter, who co-owned a beachfront motel for 16 years with her husband, died at home at the age of 56, on Friday, January 24, 2003, after a long, heroic battle with ovarian cancer. She was also co-owner, with her husband, in a cruise travel business.

Mrs. Carter is predeceased by her mother, Lydia Jane Slater, of Southington, CT. She is survived by her loving husband of 36 years, Wesley Carter, of Old Orchard Beach, ME, her father, Harold Slater of Southington, CT, brother and sister-in-law, Harold and Melissa Slater, also of Southington, Ct., sister and brother-in-law, Kathleen and Robert Scott, of Callawassie Island, SC, an uncle, Robert Slater, of New Britain, CT. She is also survived by her father-in-law, J. Wesley Carter, of Bristol, CT, sister-in-law, Donna Carter, also of Bristol, CT, and sister-in-law and brother-in-law Lisa and David Kwiatkowski, of Sumter, SC. Barbara also leaves behind 6 nieces and nephews and one great-nephew.

She was born on July 12, 1946, graduated Southington (CT) High School in 1964, and received a B.S. degree from Central Connecticut State University in 1968, and several years later, a Masters Degree from the same university. Having met her devoted husband during high school, and attending college together, they were married in 1966. After graduating CCSU, Barbara taught high school English in the New Britain (CT) school system for 18 years, first at Pulaski High School, where she was also a yearbook advisor, newspaper advisor and cheerleader advisor. Upon the closure of Pulaski, she spent the remainder of her teaching career at New Britain High School, where she was the acting head of the English Department, for a short time. She will be missed and remembered by her former colleagues and students.

Moving to Old Orchard Beach, ME in 1985, after purchasing a small, family run motel on ‘The Beach,’ she ran a successful business and expanded her client base. Over the years, Barbara met hundreds of wonderful guests, who she considered not as just customers, but more like part of her family. She helped form a group of special guests, nicknamed the A.G.O.s (Aquarius Golden Oldies), who were senior citizens, that enjoyed life and vacationing at her establishment, and the special attention she gave them. They will sadly miss her, as well as the many others that she has had pass through her life. Barbara established a strong and long-term relationships with them as well as many others who vacationed at her establishment. She was also active in the business community, having served for many years on the Board of Directors for the Old Orchard Beach Chamber of Commerce.

Barbara was a very active women, not letting any dust collect under her feet, She enjoyed cooking and attended many cooking classes. She also took pleasure in digital photography and working with her computers, as well as being an avid reader, and Maine day-tripping. Barbara was also a member of and contributor to many charitable organizations. Her biggest passion later in life, were cruise vacations. She had cruised 17 times on medium to mega-sized ships, mostly to the Caribbean. That is how she got involved with her second business, because of her desire to help others enjoy the cruise experience.

Barb was especially fond of and grateful for the support of her life long friends, Betty and John Grabowski. Mrs. Carter was a strong willed woman with charisma. She fought many medical challenges in her life with grace and great inner strength, never gave, up, and overcame every one of them. Barbara was the most kind, loving, and caring wife and human being, and will be dearly missed by her husband, family, and good friends.

Wesley Carter would like to thank Dr. Tarraza, Arlene O’Rourke APN, and the entire staff in his office, as well as MMC, both in Portland and Scarborough, and Nancy Houlihan, of VNA, for the special and thoughtful care Barbara received through the most trying time in her life.

According to her wishes, there will be no visitations or service. Remember her in your thoughts. In lieu of flowers, contributions in her memory may be made to one of the following: Hospice of VNA, 15 Industrial Park Rd., Saco, ME 04072, or The American Cancer Society, New England Division, 1 Main St. Suite 300, Topsham, ME 04086

----------------
    personal information:
    Person placing the obituary:
    Wesley Carter
    125 Portland Ave. #27
    P.O. Box 92
    Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064-0092
    207-934-1143
    fax: 207-934-0028

Funeral Home:
    Old Orchard Beach Funeral Home
    36 Portland Ave.
    Old Orchard Beach, ME
    207-934-2698
    Director: Roger Tousignant

sail7seas Guest

Re: Barbara Carter has passed away.

How very sad. Thank you for sharing this unhappy news with us, John. May she rest peacefully after her long illness.

Post Edited (01-27-03 11:46)

hstrybuf Guest

Re: Sad to announce that Barbara Carter has passed away.

Very sad news.

Kristina Guest

I am so sorry. This is a horrendous disease. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Rest in peace Barbara.

Hucc Guest

so sorry to hear of this loss

DeniseZ Guest

How sad.....our thoughts and prayers go out for Barbara and her family.

Seawall Guest

So sad to hear of this bad news.

logcabin Guest

Thoughts and prayers for Barbara, Wes and the family.

Wes Carter Guest

Barbara's Board name was "Luv2Be@Sea," and thank you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

CruiseDiva Guest

Very sorry to hear this sad news.