Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gayle V Guest

Sitting in the emergency exit row - good or bad?

Am I remmebering this correctly? Do the emergency isle seats on airplanes not recline like the others do? (That's not to say that the other seats actually recline :grin )

And is there some restriction on putting your camera bag or small carryon under the seat when you sit there?

Any other plus or minuses about those seats?

Charles Guest

Re: Sitting in the emergency exit row - good or bad?

Gayle,

The seats stay upright. There is much more leg room. And a camera bag should be fine. A larger carry on is problematic.

Charles

welove2cruise Guest

The exit rows do offer far more leg room than standard coach class seats.

red stripe Guest

Gayle,
    to find the best seats.. and any drawbacks to them.. go to this site and enter in the type of aircraft you are thinking of. As you highlight each seat, it will tell you all about it.

http://www.seatguru.com/

lizardstew Guest

On the larger planes, there are two exit rows. The first row (along with the row of seats directly in front of the exit row) does not recline. The reason for this is because they don't want the seat backs in the way in case of an emergency or evacuation. The second row of the exit does recline. If you're in a smaller plane, there is only one row which should recline, but the one in front of it will be stationary.

DB is 6'6", so we sit in the exit row as much as possible (and we both worked in the airline industry for several years, me for a few different airlines.) There is about 4-6" more room between the seats. There is as much room under the seat in front of you as in any other seat, so you can stow the same sized carry on that you could put anywhere else on the plane. The area near your feet should be completely clear, no matter which row you're sitting in....sometimes the flight attendants get lax about this. If you see someone propping their feet on their rolling bag...the bag technically is too big to be there and could hinder the evacuation process.

On some configurations, the second exit row window seat does not have a seat in front of it at all....this is a plus if you're very tall and want to stretch your legs, but a minus because there is no room to stow anything except in the overhead compartment.

The only other minus I can think of is that you WILL be called upon to help in an emergency if you sit in one of these seats, so you must be able-bodied enough to do so. (Although some people think this is a plus, because they want to have some sort of control if something happens.) You also must be able to speak, read and understand English to sit here.

Gayle V Guest

Thanks for the input everyone, and to Red for the link. I'm going to take a look at it now.

BobTuck Guest

I prefer to get the exit row whenever possible for the extra leg room. They are considered premium seats by many and I have seen them blocked out for frequent flyers on airline websites. In my opinion there are more pluses than minuses.

Thanks for all the extra info LS, I did not know most of that. I'll be looking for the second row availability first from now on ---

Beryl Guest

The airlines do not generally pre assign exit row seats. If you want one you have to check in very early and ask for one. When you make your booking get an assigned seat and ask if you can change it when you check in. Same applies for bulkhead seating!

lizardstew Guest

Beryl, that is true in most cases...the airlines want to make sure that the people sitting in the exit row "qualify" so they usually hold them for airport check in.

However, DB and I flew to Seattle on Delta for Thanksgiving last year, and were able to assign ourselves the exit row online! I was amazed....and so glad! :)

Beryl Guest

I bet you were lizardstew! As a passenger though I would prefer if the airline "qualified" the person before they assigned the seat! I would hate to be aboard to find an elderly person, a child, or a disabled person sitting in one of those exit rows. This is not discrimination but a safety issue. Perhaps the airline gives you the "once over" when you check in to make sure you qualify and if you don't they would change your seating.