Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GloBug Guest

So what exactly does TOP RACK DISHWASHER SAFE mean???

DH and I were "teaching" my DD and her BF how to load a dishwasher tonight, and we started discussing what it meant when something said TOP RACK DISHWASHER SAFE.

In particular, we were talking about the top to a plastic pizza container, think Rubbermaid. Ok, the water temp is the same, so what is the difference? Water force that hits the dishes? Would that matter for plastic?

What are your views?

Edited to add that the only other thing we can think of is the heating element at the bottom of the dishwasher???

Gayle V Guest

Re: So what exactly does TOP RACK DISHWASHER SAFE mean???

This is just my guess, but I think it has more to do with the heat in the drying cycle. I think the heating element is usually in the bottom of the dishwasher and less durable items may melt if too close to it.

Cruizer Guest

Gayle V Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > This is just my guess, but I think it has more to
    > do with the heat in the drying cycle. I think
    > the heating element is usually in the bottom of
    > the dishwasher and less durable items may melt if
    > too close to it.
    >
    >

This is correct.

belgique Guest

Never put a cat in the top rack.

Don't ask.

rhen33 Guest

When in doubt wash by hand. My DH says I`d put the stove in there if I could.

Corky Guest

I say wash all plastics by hand. :grin

Actually, I'm the only one allowed to load plastics into our dishwasher. I know which ones can go on top and which ones can go on the bottom. D still doesn't even know, after 25 years, where to put the items in the cabinets after they are washed, much less find them to use them. So I have to rearrange the dishwasher before it is run anyway. Does this sound like a control issue??? :lol

sage Guest

It is the heating element at the bottom of the dishwasher. You put a "top rack only" piece on the bottom rack, and it may never look the same again. I learned this through experience.

iluvcruzin Guest

Gayle is correct. I taught my kids how to load the dishwasher when they were much younger so they could learn to clean up after themselves. Plastics on the top rack.

H2O babe Guest

Glo--

If it says top rack only I just wash it by hand. I've had too many things warped even putting them on the top shelf.

I always look before I run my dishwasher if one of my boys has loaded the thing. They try to put everything in there! I'm like Corky---it's a control issue!

K.

Chippsetter Guest

I put most things in there. I hand wash my non-stick coated pans though as they always seam to get the coating scratched.