Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chats

Taxi fare from LAX to San Pedro terminal?

Hi there. Trying to figure out if it's better to rent a car for a day, having to return it to LAX then take a cab to the cruise terminal, or just take shuttle from airport to hotel, then taxi to pier in morning?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Terry

Chats

Re: Taxi fare from LAX to San Pedro terminal?

Taxi will run about $50-55, one of the shuttles like Supershuttle,to San Pedro will run around $30-35 (I think it is about $18pp and you take your chances on how long it takes depending on other passengers) Last month we took a cab and it was around $60 with the tip, we stay at the Vagabond right in San Pedro and they have a free shuttle to the pier Sat morning, about a 10 minute ride. If you are staying at a hotel near the airport you will still be looking at about $50 something for a taxi.
    Forget the rain, the snow, the cold and everything else that goes along with winter.
    Think about fun, sun, the warm Caribbean waters.

Think about joining the Cruise Addicts Friends

December 7th, 2014 and let the good times roll.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
    is that none of it has tried to contact us."....Calvin
    Go Green, Recycle Government

Click here for smaller, more creative and better priced ShoreTrips on your next cruise.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by tango55 View Post
    Hi there. Trying to figure out if it's better to rent a car for a day, having to return it to LAX then take a cab to the cruise terminal, or just take shuttle from airport to hotel, then taxi to pier in morning?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Terry
    Terry,

Bunch of questions:
    When are you getting to LA...what time? Which Airport...LAX?
    Do you expect to do any sightseeing or just lounge around and relax?
    Which hotel are you staying at?

Renting a car can be done two ways...one is the return to LAX...in which case, you still need transportation to the hotel/pier...The other is a "one-way" rental...which, in LA, usually involves a drop-off charge and can get expensive...and you have limited choices...and may have to drop it off in Long Beach and get a taxi to San Pedro from there...

If you have limited time in LA, you probably aren't going to fit in a lot of touring and it's probably not worth dealing with the car...

bob is correct... the shuttle services (Super Shuttle, Prime Time Shuttle, etc.) are usually the best alternatives, value-wise...though taxi would be easier...

The big question, really, is where are you staying...
    Hopefully, you've reserved either the Crowne Plaza San Pedro or the Doubletree San Pedro...either of those hotels will shuttle you to the cruise terminal and no taxi is needed...just the transportation LAX to the hotel...
    Up next:
    November 23, 2014 Golden Princess, Baja--3 nights
    ...and then:
    July 2, 2015 Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos w/Quito--10 nights

Chats

Thanks for the info. At the moment we're reserved at the Courtyard in El Segundo, near the airport. That can be changed though!

We only fly in the day before the cruise - so not a lot of time. But might want to drive to Malibu or some such thing.

Are there any hotels that offer shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise port?

Thanks again, Terry

Chats

Terry - if you book the Marriott at LAX through Princess, the tariff will include transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to pier, including luggage handling and gratuities. I'm not aware of any hotel in the LAX area that offers complimentary shuttle service to San Pedro. I would suggest you calculate what your independent hotel and transfer cost, then compare it to what Princess charges.

I always stay at the Doubletree Cabrillo Marina (San Pedro) - they offer complimentary shuttle service between hotel and ship.

Sapphire Princess is a beautiful ship. Enjoy your cruise.

Mary Ann & Pucci

Chats

Thanks Mary Ann, I will check it out.

Terry

Chats

It's 20 miles between LAX and the cruise terminal, so no hotels offer a free shuttle to both...
    There are LAX area hotels with free airport shuttles ...and there are San Pedro hotels with free pier shuttles...but, either way, you will nned to pay for transportation between the two areas....

As MaryAnn noted, Princess often has that deal for the LAX Marriot which includes the transfer...it's not a bad deal so long as you arten't planning on leaving the hotel...It definitely limits the logistical worries...

El Segundo is okay...not really convenient to much except the airport...sort of an industrial town highlighted by oil refineries...In fact the name, "El Segundo", Spanish for "The Second" came from it being the second oil refinery owned by Standard Oil of California...If you do rent a car for pick-up and return to LAX, it works as a "base"...

Again, the question is one of exactly how much time you have...whatever time your flight gets in, add a couple of hours to walk through the airport, retrieve your luggage, pick up a rental car, drive to the hotel and check in...If you are getting in, say, 2 pm or later, I'd write off driving through Malibu...Venice Beach and Santa Monica are interesting deastinations and closer...

Another LAX area hotel I prefer is the Radisson Culver City...which puts you North of the Airport rather than south...closer to Santa Monica and Malibu and in an area with a lot of shops and restaurants...and with a free LAX shuttle for those without a car...

The reason I advise a lot of folks to just stay in San Pedro at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree is this:

If you foly in just the day before, it is always relaxing to just get to the port area ahead of time...so that, in the morning, all you need to do is to roll out of bed with no logistics to deal with...A lot of folks are tired from the travel and staying at the Crowne Plaza, for example, means you can take a shuttle there directly from LAX, relax a bit at the hotel, wander out at dinner time to one of the many area restuarants (I prefer the San Pedro Brewing Company--withing two blocks of the hotel), get a good night's sleep, even sleep in the morning of your cruise and then have the hotel shuttle you right to the ship...it is, logistics wise, the easiest way to do the thing...

If one wants to do a bit of sightseeing, OTOH, I recommend spending at least two nights, if not more...and staying in Santa Monica or in the Universal City area, depending on one's interests...Renting a car is always of benefit in LA, but, if one is without a car, those are the two locations which work the best due4 to the number of attractions in close distance and the existing of public transportation options, HOHO buses and organized tours...

I rarely recommend the LAX area except for those with very short visits and the need for convenience to LAX--perhaps those with an early flight out...
    Up next:
    November 23, 2014 Golden Princess, Baja--3 nights
    ...and then:
    July 2, 2015 Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos w/Quito--10 nights

Chats

On our last Trip out of San Pedro we rented from Hertz and dropped the car off in Downtown Long Beach and took a 5-minute cab to the ship terminal. We stayed at the Hilton which a sweet deal too and a short walk to the Hertz Car drop off. We booked the room through Priceline for a whopping $25.00 per night. I swear we got the room for $25.00 plus taxes and it was at the HILTON!!! Really. What I did was the "name your own deal", picked 3 and 1/2 Star rating, choose Long Beach Area 1 and bidded $25.00 which was accepted. I think, but not sure that the Hilton is the only hotel in area 1.

We also try to fly into Long Beach vs. LAX which is a smaller airport and so easy to get in and out. If you choose to fly in to Long Beach, be sure to reserve a car as they can run out of cars.

I agree with the other posters that El Segundo does not have too much to offer a tourist.
    [B][

HAPPY NEW YEAR....

NEXT UP - OOSTERDAM CAN'T WAIT TO SIT ON THE BALCONY AGAIN FOR A WEEK OF SUNSHINE!

Chats

Oh, I see that you live in Vancouver...literally one of my favorite cities --> I'm jealous :D

Chats

The reason we're flying into LAX is we're using our Airmiles, and that was the only option. Also I'm trying to use points at Marriott and the hotel in El Segundo was the cheapest one that offered a shuttle to the airport.

We get in at 11:00 am on Tuesday and cruise out Wednesday. I think we will still rent the car (as I have a $50 coupon for that as well) - can you tell we're trying to do this on the cheap??? We just returned from a Caribbean cruise - and the money is tight!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Terry