Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Olga Guest

What does your son-in-law/daughter-in-law call you?

Cricket had us going with the grandchild thing, so a logical follow up would be:

What does your son-in-law/daughter-in-law call you?

We definitely didn't want to be Mom and Dad to someone else's kid, so I requested ours call us Olga and Roger. My parents were Oma and Opa (after the grandchildren were born), but before that they were ummm, he never called them by name!

I call my DH mother, Edna May, and everyone called his stepfather Mr. Renzo.

Cricket Guest

Re: What does your son-in-law/daughter-in-law call you?

My SIL calls me Kathy, and my hubby Rich. My daughter just doesn't use a term for her in laws. She doesn't mention names, but instead just looks at them and makes immediate conversation. She did say she would call them by their first name if necessary. I called my in- laws mom and dad, and sometimes POp-Pop, or Grandmommy..

conniecat Guest

My dil calls me connie to my face, who knows what she calls me when I'm not there, lol. I called my inlaws by their given names, and my ex called my parents by their first names, also. (We all had a few other names we called him when he wasn't looking.) =crazy

marleejean Guest

My dear DIL calls me "Mom"....my son calls me "Maw or "Maude". My SIL calls me by my first name. Both of my kids call Kirk (their step-dad) "Dad"........which says a lot of how they feel about him. (sigh)

iluvcruzin Guest

My DIL calls me Mama just like my Son and Daughters.

jmz Guest

My son in law just kinda gags a bit. I can relate I'm the same way with my mother and father in law.

connie seabee Guest

I have to laugh when I saw this post, as I too can remember when DH and I married......what to call my in laws? That was almost 40 yrs ago. :grin

I left it up to my son n laws to call me what they felt comfortable with. My oldest daughters DH calls us by our first name. My youngest daughters DH calls us Mom and Dad. I love them both.....just as long as they are good to my girls, and they are. :grin

Cinnamon Guest

My son's fiance uses our first names. They had been dating for 2 years before getting engaged, so we knew her quite well. I don't think she will call us anything different after the wedding in August!

Having 2 sons, I am so looking forward to having a DIL.

Cinnamon

Calgon1 Guest

Both DIL and SIL call us "Mom" and "Dad". Same as we call SunFlower's parents and my mother.

The ex-SIL used to call me" George". May explain one of the reasons he's an "ex", since my given name is "John".

Beckiep Guest

I call my inlaws Mom and Dad. Hubby stumbles over my mother. Both of us call my step-dad by his given name. Never thought to do it differentl. Then again, we've been married longer than they have. I have no contact with my father and his wife.
    Part of the thing with hubby and my mother is she was never clear what she wanted to be called. My inlaws were mostly clear with me, but I was their fourth daughter-in-law, too. He was my mother's first. He has taken to calling her mom, when he has to call her something, but only because my brother's wife calls her Ma. (My brother and I got married 3 mos. apart and dated our spouses the same amount of time.)
    Extended family? His grandparents were Grandmother and Grandfather--exactly as he called them. Andy and Kate for his father's sibs. and Aunt Barbara & Uncle John for his mother's (He uses Uncle Andy, but the uncle doesn't really care. Kate passed away last year, but had the same feeling.)
    My family is pretty easy. I use Aunt & Uncle so he does too. My grandmother was Plainy to everyone, even the nursing home staff called her Ma or Grama.