Close
    time2sail Guest

What happens if they cancel due to bad weather?

What happens (RCI) if your cruise is cancelled because of bad weather?

Also, have there ever been cruises that weren't cancelled but instead stayed at the Port and continued on even though they didn't sail?

red stripe Guest

Re: What happens if they cancel due to bad weather?

Good question....
    Usually there are alternate routes that they can take. But if the weather was so bad that it was deamed not safe to go out of the harbour.. and if this arose on the day of sailing.. then my guess is that the cruiseline would say that it was not safe to be on the ship, and there would be one mad scramble for hotels :lol

BUT.. if they did allow you to board.. I can see it being one heck of a party :grin

time2sail Guest

LOL. Having never before been on a cruise, I ask this because even if they didn't sail I wouldn't mind joining the party on the ship! Hey a bad cruise must STILL beat work right?

Dolphin Guest

There is no such thing as a Bad Cruise!!! LOL :)

BobTuck Guest

Its also a good idea to purchase travel insurance in case the trip is cancelled. Its a small investment with big dividends! :thumb

iluvcruzin Guest

There have been times where the ship was stuck in port. In New Orleans the river was blocked for about a week. Some ships that were supposed to come into N.O. ended up at Gulfport. There was a ship that ended up staying in New Orleans for the week and never left port. I forget the name of ships and I believe it was during Mardi Gras. Lori and Barry were on one of them I think.

Travel Insurance is a good idea but buy it in advance and not when there is a tropical storm coming off the African coast. In that case the insurance may question any claim because it was a known event.

As far as bad weather, the cruiseline can decide to change the itnerary at any time so if they know a storm is brewing they have the option of going somewhere else.

Cricket Guest

If at all possible, the cruise lines will find some answer beside totally cancelling the cruise. It would mean big bucks lost, even for one week! I have been on quite a few cruises where the ports were cancelled due to weather conditions. It was somewhat upsetting, but totally understandable and no one should get mad at the situation. It definitely is for the saftey of the ship and her passengers!

Jim Guest

If you are speaking of a hurricane. The ship WOULD NOT remain in port if the hurricane was targeting their location.

Ships get bashed when tied up (think about the wind hitting the side of a 1,000 foot long vessel. They would either;

Not return to port and wait until the danger passed, in this case the cruise line usually make accommodations for those waiting to board.

If it makes it into port but knows it has a tight turn time, they leave early or exactly on time then alter course to avoid the storm.

Travel insurance...which many folks feel is like burning a $100 dollar bill comes in very handy when mother nature, personal illness, flight delays, etc enter into the equation.

Cricket Guest

To answer your question time2sail, at least part of it anyway, if a cruise line cancels your sailing due to such terrible weather or a major problem with the ship, they will refund your money in full, or offer you an alternative ship to sail on if possible, or take another sailing date. Sometimes they even give you extras due to your inconvenience.

JohnG Guest

They don't always get underway. Last month when the hurricane was coming up the west coast of Florida headed toward Alabama/Florida Panhandle, the Carnival Inspiration was scheduled to get underway from Tampa for a 5 day W. Caribbean cruise. After boarding on Saturday, they decided it unwise to get underway with the storm coming up the coast, and stayed in port, with the guests on board until Sunday 10pm before getting underway, after the storm had passed.