Close

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    lfite Guest

Carnival Tipping Guide

I am going on my 1st cruise on October & wondered about the tipping.
    I know they charge $10 a day per person for gratuity.
    However my sister tells me I should tip the head waiter and the steward.

Can anyone tell me the estimated amount to tip each, when and where do I leave it?

Also does anyone know how much I should tip for the formal night $70 spa treatment?

ashxoxo89 Guest

Re: Carnival Tipping Guide

Hey!

The 10/day is optional. They automatically charge you it unless you change it. When you get to the ship you can tell them you want to change it to either no gratuity ( and tip on your own) or just do a less amount. Last time I went (my first cruise) we didnt know this and did the $50 per person (5 day cruise) so anextra 150. We also pre-tipped the guy who "serviced" our floor/room and the servers at dinner. The waiters took EXCELLENT care of us however the steward or whatever they are called, lol, did nothing extra special and we regretted slipping him that extra money... Just remember that the 10/day is optional. Don't forget, everytime you buy a drink on the ship they automatically charge you 18 or 20% gratuity also!! Good luck.

lfite Guest

Thank you so much for this information - I did not know it was optional.
    All the information I was getting was I had to pay the $10 a day + tip on the last night also. Was getting a little worried.

Mbandy Guest

Just to clarify, while the $10 per day is "optional" it is customary. You don't want to "stiff" the service personnel. The $10 per day covers your waiter, assistant waiter, cabin attendant (steward) and the head waiter. It is so much easier to just leave it on the ship board account and let the cruise line divide it up. I usually tip a little extra in cash too because the service is always great.

speedboatermama Guest

do you go to dinner in your hometown
    and not tip the waitress? geez.(td)

Cruizer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lfite
    I am going on my 1st cruise on October & wondered about the tipping.
    I know they charge $10 a day per person for gratuity.
    However my sister tells me I should tip the head waiter and the steward.

Can anyone tell me the estimated amount to tip each, when and where do I leave it?

Also does anyone know how much I should tip for the formal night $70 spa treatment?
    The steward is included in the $10 per day. Carnival does not have "head waiters" (Royal Caribbean does). There is an assistant waiter, a waiter and then the maitre d'. The maitre d' is a management position and there is no need to tip him or her unless (s)he does something for you (beyond saying hello).

Here is Carnival's tipping policy ...

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

Here is a link ...

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

lfite Guest

Ok - so I have the $10 a day gratuity that is automatically charged to my credit card every day (per person, so $20 a day). I guess I am confused - do I tip on top on this gratuity charge or is this charge covering my tipping. I understand and will tip above this if it is expected (or I get great service). I just want to make sure I have enough cash on me if I need to tip more than the amount already being charged me.

Cruizer Guest

Ok - so I have the $10 a day gratuity that is automatically charged to my credit card every day (per person, so $20 a day). I guess I am confused - do I tip on top on this gratuity charge or is this charge covering my tipping. I understand and will tip above this if it is expected (or I get great service). I just want to make sure I have enough cash on me if I need to tip more than the amount already being charged me.
    You are not required to tip above the standard amount. However, there are a couple of exceptions:

1) You can tip extra, if you want, if you believe someone deserves extra. In such a case, tip that person directly in cash.

2) You tip extra for those not included in the automatic tips. For example when you purchase a drink an automatic 15% tip will be added to the bill. Once again, if you wish, you can increase this amount. Ordering room service is another example where you would tip extra (the food is free - tip $1 or $2 to the person who brings you your order).

SandyBeach Guest

One other tip you may want to know about is for the baggage handler at the port...I believe the going rate is at least $1 per bag although we usually give more.

I don't know whether it will matter to you or not, but they generally charge the $10/pd/pp when you board (for all the days you will be on board). Should you decide that your service isn't worth the small sum they charge...then consider having it changed. I have a maximum extra amount we can afford to give set aside for great service. Sometimes I end up dividing it differently depending on the service we get. I ask our room steward for extra envelopes a couple of days before the cruise ends and put the extra cash in there. I leave the room stewards in the room the last night and hand the other theirs. They do ask for tips for the Maitre'd, but as someone else said - unless they do something for you other than say Hi you could probably skip this one.

Mbandy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cruizer
    You are not required to tip above the standard amount. However, there are a couple of exceptions:

1) You can tip extra, if you want, if you believe someone deserves extra. In such a case, tip that person directly in cash.

2) You tip extra for those not included in the automatic tips. For example when you purchase a drink an automatic 15% tip will be added to the bill. Once again, if you wish, you can increase this amount. Ordering room service is another example where you would tip extra (the food is free - tip $1 or $2 to the person who brings you your order).

I also always tip my dinner time cocktail server a little extra than the 15% built in to the price of the drink at the end of the cruise.