• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1-2-09 YOU’RE GONNA SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!

M

MARIPOSA

Ever since I saw the Christmas Story this year that phrase kept running through my mind. My eye doctor has been monitoring the growth in my eye and we were ready to try a bold experiment. He injected a shot of Avistan right into my eyeball. This was already one of the drugs in my current chemo cocktail. He has only used this drug to treat Macular degeneration in diabetics and we figured it might be effective in absorbing the fluids and the tumor that are now clouding my vision. He numbed my eye so well that I actually did not feel the needle penetration. The side effects were that my eye felt like it was made of cardboard for several days, and the numbing drops and antibiotic stuff were rather irritating, like dust in my eye. But, heck, if that’s the only discomfort, bring it on! If this does not do the trick we will explore a radiation method in several weeks.

Since my immune system is very impaired right now I caught a wicked cold that soon turned into Bronchitis and beginning on Christmas day I was flat on my back in bed for several days waiting for the antibiotics to kick in. What a bummer, absolutely no energy!. I only got my chocolate chip oatmeal cookies baked this year, no fudge or fancy cookies. But I’m finally well again and back to work. Now, where did I hide those chocolate chips from hubby? I’m still craving fudge. LOL

If you recall, I cut my hair very short right before the chemo effected any hair loss. I chose to not shave it this time, but take a wait and see attitude cuz it’s just plain cold here and I need all the insulation I can get to keep this brain warm! LOL It’s very thin now, and it seems that the darker hair has all fallen out and what I’m left with is the light and silvery hairs along with a couple small bare patches. Weird. Wonder what will grow back in, hope it is nice and curly like the last time. I’m glad I saved most of those warm crocheted hats that I made when I went through chemo several years ago. Last year I sent a couple of my favorite hats and scarves to a few young cyber buddies that I met on Elliotts’ caring bridge web site. I never thought I would ever need them again. This time I only wear them when I’m traveling around town and I’m freezing.

The chemo treatments have made a big difference in my ambulation (walking skills). My hip is no longer weak or painful and I am very steady on my feet again, Thank God. I still have a walker standing by, just in case I need it, but so far this hasn’t been necessary. The next step in my treatment is to have a full body scan in a couple weeks to see if any of the metastasized cancer has diminished or if it has gone into my bones. If that is the case the oncologist will add a third medication to my chemo. The treatment plan will be finalized after those tests are done and I’ll find out then how long my chemo will last. My big trip to Ohio to see my brother and daughter will depend on that time frame. Currently I’m going to the infusion center once a week, with the 4th week being for labs. I am so grateful for this port that is taking the agony out of the “can we find a good vein†routine that I suffered last time. I put the numbing cream on the area of the port an hour before the infusion begins and I’m good to go. No pain when the needle is inserted, hurrah! I recommend this fantastic procedure to anyone facing chemotherapy. The surgery to implant the port (the mechanical device that accepts the tubing from the drip bags. I call it my porthole!) was a little daunting, but once it heals it is fine and no one even knows it is there in the front of my shoulder.

My sister ordered a Jack LaLaine juicer for me, can’t wait to receive it. Hope I can get more fruits and veggies this way, thus feeling more energetic. Sometimes I’m just too tired to chew. LOL

On the home front, I seem to have bursts of renewed spirit to get many of my sorting and organizing projects completed. (I usually get these energy spurts around midnight when I have insomnia. LOL) We donated several large pieces of furniture and odds and ends and I am now planning on building several doll houses for my nieces and am having a blast looking through all my mini treasures that will go into each house. My next big forage is into the garage where I will finally haul out all of my college notes that I have so faithfully hung onto ~ just in case~ for so many years now and just plain dump them all. That will clear up lots of space out there.

I’m sitting here looking around at my lovely Christmas decorations and have decided that I’m not taking the tree down till it actually turns brown and starts dropping it’s needles. I love this Christmas mood and it’s going to stay around here for quite a long time. Maybe even until both of my daughters can come visit me in a couple months. LOL It will be funny when I start adding Valentine Day stuff as well. Maybe I’ll just add hearts to the tree ornaments! What’s next? Maybe Easter eggs and Fourth of July stars??? LOL LOL

My new philosophy, if you don’t like or use somethng-get rid of it NOW. If something gives you pleasure, display it, use it, love it while you can. Life IS beautiful and “the mere sense of living is joy enoughâ€Â. (Emily Dickenson)

Hugs, Mariposa

P

popcorn

Re: 1-2-09 YOU’RE GONNA SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!

Good to read that you are still so upbeat! My rule (with clothes) if I haven't worn it in two years, out it goes. It helps that Alf & I have moved several times during our marriage and things get tossed with every move.

Keep on plugging along.

Liz

E

ewheelock

Glad to see you posting, I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing.

C

Cruise cutie

=hug Ronda.. and may your tree last for the different Holidays.. before Mark, and I were together..one year his kids trimmed it to be an Easter Tree..=eek.. that changed AFTER I came along.
He was OK with putting it up..it's taking it down he's bad about..
May all your treatments be to the max for work, and so good to know you got some cookies..keep us updated, prayers continue..:daisy..Joanne.

K

KathyC

Great news that the hip is better; hope the meds help with the eye too. So glad that you are once again planning to build doll houses & that you are in such good spirits.

S

seamom

Hoping that eye fixes up really fast! Good to hear from you. Juice on! :)

J

JANPEP

Glad to see you posting & that you are doing fairly well. Hope the treatments work well without 2 many side effects.
Prayers & good thoughts continue from MN.

M

maw

Mari you always make it all seem easy but know it isn't. Your attitude is as great gift for you. You really should pull you postings together for a book. Even though I don't have cancer it does encourage me to make the most of what I can do. Hugs.

C

Corky

Mariposa - you astonish me on your bravery. I know this is so hard to be going through. =hug to you and I wish you the best for 2009 and that you have this all behind you soon. :daisy

S

ShipMaven

Ronda - may you always keep your upbeat attitude, and may you come through this ordeal with flying colors! =hug

H

H2O babe

You remain in my thoughts and prayers. It's nice to read updates-thanks for posting.

K.

K

Karry

I always "forget" to check this forum, but this morning I am so glad I did. What a beautiful attitude and outlook you have...your post really brought tears to my eyes. And I say, keep that tree up just as long as you want. We have 2 gorgeous trees-real one in the living room and a beautiful fake tree in my kitchen. I have so many special ornaments, that on some branches I have to hang one by the tree trunk and another on the same outer branch. They are just exquisite. I took the real tree down last night crying the whole time that I was wrapping those ornaments...:( I think I will leave the kitchen tree up for a little longer and enjoy and treasure the splendor of it. May 2009 be a GOOD year for you and may you find a big box of fudge under your tree the next time you peek! :grin Thank you for sharing your wisdom and joy of life with us.

T

tango55

I'm another one that only checks this forum sporadically. Glad I checked it this morning. Always so good to see you posting, and encouraging to read your stories with your upbeat attitude!! Keep up the good work!

Here's hoping things clear up soon for you!

Terry

K

korinalacount

Wow you are a eye opener girl,thought I would check this area today as in a lot of pain again and you made me feel ashamed of myself girl! Trying to look at my damn legs with a more positive outlook after reading your post,you inspire all of us,many hugs and love,Korina