Can I bring my own food on the ship? First-timer!

E

evelinany

Can I bring my own food ont he ship? What about drinks? Alcoholic drinks? I read on this forum that 1 bottle of wine per person is allowed... is that true? Has anyone ever done that?

G

Gayle V

You know, I don't think I've ever run into someone who wanted to bring food onto a ship. =huh I had to stop to think: why on earth...?

My first thought was that you might as well bring along a little extra seawater for the ocean. Second thought is that, you must have allergies or some health issues that require a special diet ? Is that it? They do ask you about special dietary needs when you book, and they try to accomodate them . At least I've seen them provide specially prepared food for a diabetic at our table.

If that's not it, trust me, you will NOT go hungry !

As for bringing drinks: yes true about bringing the bottle of wine. Lots of people do. As reasonable amount, like a 12 pack, of soda is usually OK too. Liquor is not supposed to be brought on, but I hear lots of talk from reliable sources about people doing it. We don't. It's not worth the effort involved. IMHO

L

LHP

You can bring one bottle of wine per person. No liquor...other than wine.

Yes, you can bring food if you would like. When we were going through security in Tampa last month, they opened a huge grocery bag I had. They thought it was beer. It was a dozen cans of Mini Ravoili for my friend in Cozumel. (he loves it and they can't get it there) The Security guard was shocked...until I told him why.

K

Kruzr41

You could take packaged food on the ship. Like taking a baloney sandwich to a banquet, but each to his own. Don't know if you can take food like a sandwich or any "opened" food aboard, and again, don't know why you'd want to. They feed you every 20 minutes or so and there's room service and the pizza place available for the tween times.:)D

What you cannot do is take food OFF the ship, in ports OR when you arrive back in the US. Even fruit loaded on in the US cannot be taken off when the ship returns. Has to do with introducing possible noxious pests into the agricultural system. Similar laws in the islands and in the US. Sometimes enforcement is lax in the islands, but pretty tight in the US.

Booze must be smuggled in your checked luggage and I think its a cheap trick. But you decide for yourself. The cruise line has spent about half a Billion dollars building a ship with a dozen or so attractive bars. I think they deserve the business.:)o

Dan

B

Boyconny

They will take the alcohol from you if you buy it on one of islands, and give it back to you at the end of the cruise

D

Don B

I have brought on treats that are not available on board (like Oreo cookies) and chewing gum, but not much else is needed!!

M

mlzangel78

On every cruise, I always bring on powdered coffee creamer.. i am an avid coffee drinker, and am not a fan of the rm service coffee on the ships.. the creamer helps a lot... I also bring on crystal light single serve tubes for when im on the islands sometimes its easier to have them handy for a bottled water than buying juices and such.. other than that, i have never once gone hungry on a ship.. or had the need to bring on food from home. but taking those two things makes for a much more pleasant cruise for me..

M

Mbandy

Another thing to consider is that ships (except Disney) do not provide baby food which you need to bring on board.

If you have a baby that is :baby

K

K2play

[quote evelinany]Can I bring my own food ont he ship? What about drinks? Alcoholic drinks? I read on this forum that 1 bottle of wine per person is allowed... is that true? Has anyone ever done that?[/quote]

I've brought both. Last time I had an extra plastic bag from packing and brought a bagel with lox and cream cheese with me back to the airport. We were in rush to leave and I didn't have time to eat breakfast. Usually, when I carry liquor, for that final nightcap, I bring vodka and put it in a water bottle. My Mom thought I was stupid to bring it once when we went together. It was so stupid that we laughed and talked all night and had to buy some more in Key West the next day- ha, ha! You can bring water, some sodas - they're $2 each on the boat - and any snacks. It says so in the rules. Juices are free on board and you can have them delivered to your room for free. They're usually there within 20 min of calling and if they're behind they'll tell you. You can also purchase items at port and bring them on if you find that the boat doesn't have something you want. They are really pretty lenient just so things aren't obvious. I usually carry my "water" and sodas in my carry on, but I hear that lots of people have put larger amounts in the luggage they drop at the pier that's delivered to them. Now I have also heard on the boards that some people have been sent to pick up their contraban in the "naughty room" but you just refuse it and go about your cruise. That's never happened to me or any of my other cruise mates and that's a lot of cruises between us. I think that's very rare. You'll be fine. =COOL

L

larsfun

If you have some dietary restriction discus it with your agent. I am positive you will be allowed packaged or processed food to accommodate. However do not take it off the ship as some ports may not allow foods and other agricultural products into their country. I am sure you will find a way to enjoy either your or the ships cuisine.

Have fun

lars