Concierge Class on Celebrity?

F

Figee17

We have booked a cruise on the Celebrity Infinity for July of '09 to Alaska. This will be our first trip on Celebrity (and to Alaska) and chose Concierge class for all the added amenities they claim comes with it. Also, the price difference was so little from a regular balcony cabin, it was silly not to.
I was wondering if the amenities that they claim come with the "CC" class actually happen or if its worth it. (We're not changing our reservation now, so thats not a problem, but I am curious).
Is there a noticeable difference with the "Early embarkation and debarkation"?
Do you actually get "Daily fruit selection
• Fresh-cut flowers
• Daily hors d'oeuvres" ?

Thanks for any info you can provide for this skeptic!

B

BSeabob

Yes you get what they say but sometimes the timing of delivery is not convenient. The hors d'oeuvres for example . They are tiny and cute and we did enjoy them with a pre drink, drink in the cabin but you need to work out with your room "Guy" how and when they arrive.

Your third sentence covers it really for us if the price is right would go with a CC and that is it. CAbins are generally the same and actually the history of the CC program was to make the less desirable cabins and area's seem a bit better than they really were. Under noisy deck etc. So caution is also needed still although the newer ships don't seem to have many negative area's.

You will enjoy Alaska and in all likelihood =X= as well. We do.

Have fun planning and if you have any Q's let us know I suspect you are leaving from either Seattle or Vancouver ? on the Mercury or Infinity or are you doing a one way on the Mille ?

F

Figee17

We are sailing round trip out of Seattle for economic reasons (we are using reward miles to fly there). We would have loved to do a cruise tour but don't have the money or the time at the moment. I am sure we will be back to Alaska in the future.
We are looking forward to trying Celebrity, as the lot of us have tried Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and many NCLs (plus a few defunct cruise lines as well). We are booked on deck 9, which is of some concern to us (noise from above and blocked views?), but I believe we'll manage just fine. We've had some "interesting" cabins before, so I am sure we won't have a problem with these.
Thank you for the info...we are really looking forward to our trip. Do you have any recommendations for shore excursions? Unfortunately some in our party are NOT fans of small planes and helicopters and our budget is on the tight side anyways.
Thanks again!!!

B

BSeabob

Juneau ..Check out the city bus anyone will tell you where to catch it. About an hour or so going around the complete valley. With a transfer you can go a bit Northwest too. Staying on the main line you get to within 1 mile of Mendenhall Glacier... if the weathers good you can walk to it easy. Bus rides to the glacier are available right onthe dock and are pretty cheap too.

Ketchikan. You dock right downtown and you can walk to a few tourista things. City Bus here will take you around also.

Sitka. Walk through town (East I think anyways follow the shore to the right :) ) and into the Park enroute you pass a fish hatchery..depends on when you are there what's happening. donation only. Other side of park and a bit north is the Raptor center. Cost is a not too bad if you haven't experienced the birds.

Love the Infinity I'm sure you will. Deck 9 is not too bad unless you get right under the Buffet where they run the chairs up and down for cleaning. It does have a bit of an overhang which will limit your sun (it's Alaska anyways right !!) It'll keep you dry. At the glacier the captain will turn the ship if ice allows and youwill eventually get a view from you balcony but sometimes it's not equal so I recommend planning on getting out on deck.
Enjoy your planning.

Flying or driving to Seattle ?

F

Figee17

Thank you for all of the great advice. We are flying to Seattle by using our skymiles. We wanted to use skymiles, so you can see how a one way cruise would not work for us. We have a good friend who lives in Seattle and we are spending one day on each end of the cruise there so she can show us around.
We can't wait to experience Celebrity, we have always wanted to try it!

C

CAPinBoynton

Figee17, if you would like to see what the inside of the Infinity is like and where you will be going in Alaska, go to <http://www.thepreismans.com/> We have been on the Infinity twice (both times with BSeaBob) and enjoyed the Concierge Class. I hope you enjoy our review.

S

salathe3

The information provided by users is wonderful! Thank You!
We are booked on Celebrity Infilnity July 03 leaving from Seattle 2 adults and an 11year old. Concierge class room. We chose the room with the help of American Express. It has just enough room and a balcony. Thanks to
users we are learning how to make the most of the ammenities in the cc room. RSeabob and CAPinBoynton seem very educated on cruises so I hope to hear back!
How is the Infinity for kids? We are smokers...will it be difficult on this ship? Is it as formal as people are saying? Any suggestions on land excursions? Thanks again!

B

BSeabob

salathe3 said:
The information provided by users is wonderful! Thank You!
We are booked on Celebrity Infilnity July 03 leaving from Seattle 2 adults and an 11year old. Concierge class room. We chose the room with the help of American Express. It has just enough room and a balcony. Thanks to
users we are learning how to make the most of the ammenities in the cc room. RSeabob and CAPinBoynton seem very educated on cruises so I hope to hear back!
How is the Infinity for kids? We are smokers...will it be difficult on this ship? Is it as formal as people are saying? Any suggestions on land excursions? Thanks again!

see your separate post for answer

P

Parrot Mom

[large]We have cruised Celebrity three times trans-atlantic and only once with out a CC category and at my age.. I love the rose in the bathroom and the desk the arrangements of flowers btw the little arrangement can be bought to take home), the stationary.. the fruit is fine.. you can tell the room steward which fruits you p refer.. I think next time I'm going to see if I can get a cheese platter instead of the stale appetizers.. We sailed last time on deck 8..near the library on the Constellation... and our room steward was incredible.. the cruise before was not CC and left much to be desired.. I finally went to the Pursers desk to have something replaced. The steward on the Connie.. did something I had never seen before.. each night a napkin was put at the side of our bed where our feet would be..our luggage was put away promptly after we unpacked.][/large] I wouldn't cruise Celebrity without that category anymore, especially if the price is right

C

Conniemc

Honey, EVERYTHING on the ship and in the cabin is for sale....LOL.

I think you caught a lucky fluke, which is great (a great steward can make or break a cruise), but no, you won't get the stale appetizers substituted...you COULD, however, order the cheese platter from room service a half hour before you'd like it.

E

earl_m

I am booked on the Equinox next year. SV cabin . are there any perks with that Cabin

B

BSeabob

earl_m said:
I am booked on the Equinox next year. SV cabin . are there any perks with that Cabin

Just off the Solstice and I'd be hard pressed to say there was any difference in ANY of the non suite cabins at all. Mater of Fact. Other than the middle cabins across the back in SV cat the balcony's are smaller (Just by inches mind you) than those in 2B where we were. I measured them with my croc's :) And unless you are really really hung up on the aft you have a hike and a half to the aft bank of elevators. Take a lunch earl. :)

K

Kwattro

I found CC to not really deliver for me personally. The fruit was OK the first day, but really we have soooo many food choices onboard it usually went uneaten, plus the term "fresh" fruit on a cruise ship at sea... The hors d'oeuvres were gross, period. Stale crusty pucks that you have no idea how long they've been out, and again sooooo much food on the boat that they usually went uneaten.
We don't drink so the free bottle of booze was gifted to someone else, and why would I want to sit around in my room drinking anyway. We got flowers the second day and a rose in the bathroom during the last week.

Our stateroom was on deck 9 right in the middle, views were awesome. The room size was good though a little crammed with the glass coffee table, everything was looking quite worn though clean. The bed was terrible. The bathroom was better than expected. Our stateroom attendant (Santano) was awesome as were everyone else involved with keeping out room tidy. Priority dis/embarkation wasn't used due to out flight time incoming, and a broken unloading crane upon leaving, not a big deal for us either way. Television set was a joke. No insuite internet was a piss off, especially at those prices. Having that balcony was worth the extra money alone.

If I could have got a balcony room in the middle of either 3 top decks and skipped the CC perks I would have been just as happy. It could be a different story now since the ship is getting a refit.

Moderator note: This post refers to the Millenium

M

mikecho

Wow! I am on the CC for the Seattle July 03, 2009 departure. I hope it was a good choice. This is our first cruise; so any recommendations are helpful (e.g., tipping, arriving, debarking, things to do, deals!). My main question is; do people really dress up for formal night?? Would I be ok with just a sport jacket? We are taking the seven day cruise and then going to Vancouver for four days so I don't want to over pack with all the tuxedos. Also, I thought of bringing a light wind breaker Northface jacket and maybe a sweatshirt. Again, I want to stay away from the entire wardrobe (i.e., summer, winter, and business attire). We were planning on just bringing some nice fine dining clothes but mainly outdoorsy Northface type of attire.

Can you bring booze in your suitcase? An tips for having our laptop with wireless internet? I heard something about getting this discount coupons on board? Kinda like happenings coupon books. Does anyone know anything about obtaining this?

And Tips for not losing our luggage on the ship for the boarding and debarking?

I use tripadvisor.com which has descent reviews…I wonder if there is another website that has traveler photos of this ship…

Thanks,

Mike

B

BSeabob

Hey you first timer welcome.
First of all you will be ok on formal night with a sports jacket. You may read some negative thoughts about that in various forums from old time cruiser's but with air these days and weight bringing everything for a cruise can be a problem. Now if you did want to get dressed up a rental tux works great I use the service sometimes.

Luggage and keeping track of it: Make sure you have your name on the OUtside, secure and to where it should be going. To the ship and then again in reverse.... home or in your case do you have an address where you are going in Vancouver after the cruise. This will help but all though on and off the ships is normally not an issue.
ALWAYS HAVE YOUR NAME AND ITINERARY ON THE INSIDE ALSO.

Tips on cruising... well check out our various forums here. There is a search button on each forum.... just plug in a topic or place you might what info on. There are some great reviews available and links to other websites with more info. Look around and enjoy.
Specific questions are best for us to answer.

C

CRUZINQUEEN

Planning a CC cabin on the Century in February. Good and bad reviews here. I LOVE having a drink in my cabin, getting ready, before my afternoon nap. The amenities really appealed to me. Have sailed in about 12 balcony cabins, and only one Junior Suite with RCI, really looking forward to my first Celebrity cruise. I would like to hear more from others.....,:loveya