Top Three excursion/Places to Visit in Alaska ??

K

kokosmo

I would like to know the top 3 excursions/places to visit while Alaska. Thanks, KOKOSMO

Y

Yukon

It depends on what you're interested in - "best" for me may very well not be best for you. Mine are anything that includes a flight, the WP&YR railway at Skagway, and whale watching at Hoonah (Icy Strait Point) or Juneau.

Murray

H

H2O babe

We enjoyed the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway. We enjoyed the helicopter/glacier trek we did in Juneau. We enjoyed the whale watch in Juneau. We enjoyed the float plane to the Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. In other words..........I can't really say what my top 3 would be --- we are going back again and this time have added a week pre-cruise so we can explore interior Alaska. We're headed to Seward and Homer and may also get up to Denali.

K.

P

pj103

We just returned from Inside Passage on the Star Princess. All of our excursions were great, but the best by far was Skagway on the White Pass & Yukon Railway. No one should miss this excursion.

J

jmafor20

cfi_countdown.php

C

CarrieNAustin

I just got back from a 7 day cruise on NCL's Pearl and the number one thing I did was the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan. Totally cool experience! The fishermen, the sealife and the bald eagles made this a once in a lifetime experience.

Number two was this little restaurant in Skagway called Starfire....found some of the best Thai food I have ever tasted! After several days of decent, but bland, ship food, StarFire was a revalation!

You should also definitley go whale watching at some point during your cruise...we saw a mother and a calf fully breaching along with sea lions and orcas...also very cool!

Bring a rain jacket and dress in layers and most of all...enjoy!

P

pj103

Train in both directions. I don't remeber seeing anyother option when I book my excursions.

B

booksmadebymedotcom

My husband and I are considering this exact excursion. Can you tell me the pros and cons of it? Its a bit higher than we wanted to pay for 1 excursion but I am trying to justify the cost! you can email me at well at booksmadebyme@yahoo.com

TucsonGuy

Deck Crew
I just got back from a south bound on Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver. We did a trip in all ports except Icy Strait. In Juneau, the helicopter trip to Herbert glacier was the hightlight of the trip. I can't remember the name of the company, but there are several to choose from. Also did whsat I would call a whale glancing trip. We saw whales but they were quite a ways off. Still worth it I guess. A Flight to Misty Fjords on a sea plane was good even thought we went through some clouds and it rained a bit. Other pelple went on wildlife excurstions and they talked very highly of their experiences. So, it depends what you are interested in. There is a logger show in Ketichican(SP) and city tours in all ports. Then there are the Zip lines if you are into some excitment. Hope you have as much fun as we did. Almost forgot about the Yucon rail and bus trip. We went all the way to Emerald Lake (BEAUTIFUL), had lunch at a lodge and went on a trip on a summer sled pulled by huskies. OUTSTANDING.

Last edited:

PH8

Staff Captain
My all time fav excursion of all time happens to be in Alaska!!

Dog sledding in Skagway..........we took the helicopter to the top of the glacier to the dog camp.............pricey but the best ever! We booked thru TEMSCO helicopters..

we also did the Float plane in Ketchikan......that was fun too............

cfrieday

Youth Counselor
We just returned and we did Whale Watching with Weatherpermitting and it was wonderful. Capt. Gregg was great. His wife traveled with us. I would definitely do a whale watch. Also look up Weatherpremitting they were just wonderful. They only do one trip a day and will do what ever time works for you. They also dropped us off at Mendenhal Glacier after we were done.....

wave runner

Lecturer
I agree with H2O babe in that my top three would be the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway. The helicopter/glacier trek in Juneau. The whale watch in Juneau.

Other favorites are just walking around Creek Street in Ketchikan and taking the public bus that circles Ketchikan and the public bus in Juneau that goes to Douglas Island.

Wave

AShann

Deck Crew
I would like to know the top 3 excursions/places to visit while Alaska. Thanks, KOKOSMO

Are you booking through a cruiseline? Don't see which one, but here's some suggestions... these are all good

• Holland America offers a Denali Excursion by Helicopter, priced at $319 per person. This 1.5 hour excursion (50 minute flight) offers a bird’s eye view of the famed Denali National Park and towering Mt. McKinley.

• Princess offers the Whales & Glaciers Citizen Science Adventure, lasting 3.5 hours and currently priced at $189. “Citizen scientists†collect water samples, net plankton and record humpback whale and other marine wildlife behavior, to document variables that affect Alaska’s marine ecosystem.

• Carnival Cruise Lines offers a 3.5 hour excursion for fans of the Discovery Channel’s “Deadliest Catch†program, $170. The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour, visits the waters of Southeast Alaska in the F/V Aleutian Ballad, the vessel featured on the second season of the Discovery Channel's “Dealiest Catchâ€.

cruisen4life

Deck Crew
IMHO, in Juneau the Mendenhall Glacier and the whale watching double excursion is my all time favorite excursion! Between the bears, salmon, eagles, butterflies, seals, sealions and the awesome views there is no comparison. The visitor center and gift shop at the glacier is a don't miss.

Calgon1

Awaiting results of mental evaluation
Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Here are a few more to consider ...

White Pass & Yukon Railway (seeing a trend here?)
Zip lines
Denali
Whale watching
Anything that includes panning for gold
Dog sled & musher's camp
Victoria - Buchard Gardens / Orca watching
Vancouver - Olympic Park

Just my opinion; then again, I am a Sourdough (I lived up there for a few years).