Emerald Princess - Give me all of her secrets!! :)

C

Corky

Ok - so my hubby and I are going to run away in 2011 aboard the Emerald for 20 delicious days!
And, of course I have a few questions. I have started my spreadsheet for excursions at each port, my clothing spreadsheet, and am now working on the Ship.

What should we know, do, see, etc on the ship?

Which Specialty restaurant is the best...Sabatini's or Crown Grill?

We picked Anytime Dining because for 20 days we want a lot of freedom at dinner time...I would like to try Sabatini's but am afraid that there is just too much food...does Sabatini's still offer a lunch? That would work better for me if they did. Ha!

Who has done the Chef's Table? Did you enjoy it and if so, would you do it again?

And, what about the Balcony Dining...how is the food? How is it kept warmed if they bring it all at once and then just serve it to you as you are ready for that course? If you did it, did you enjoy it and if so, would you do it again?

What type of food is served in the Cafe Caribe restaurant?

Where is the sushi? :D

Thnx for your help!! =sailor

B

Beryl

Ooooh Corky....the Emerald Princess is a winner!

What should we know, do, see, etc on the ship? Here is the link to the first of the diaries of the cruise addict group cruise on this ship ...you'll find a load of info if you search for Gr8 ESCAPE..... http://www.cruise-addicts.com/forums/read.php?1,1288266,page=1

Which Specialty restaurant is the best...Sabatini's or Crown Grill? I've never done the Crown Grill...I hear it's very good. Sabatini's will be a lovely change if you are sailing for 20 days....try both! I think the location of Sabatinis on the Emerald is wonderful...and don't miss having a pre dinner cocktail at the Adagio Bar while you're there! Many people never find this lovely lounge.

We picked Anytime Dining because for 20 days we want a lot of freedom at dinner time...I would like to try Sabatini's but am afraid that there is just too much food...does Sabatini's still offer a lunch? That would work better for me if they did. Ha! You know, I have no idea...perhaps on sea days???

Who has done the Chef's Table? Did you enjoy it and if so, would you do it again? I've done the Chef's Table twice...different ships! It was a wonderful experience. I have to say that from my experience and what I have read I don't think I will do it again. The experience was pretty much the same the second time around and the menu was almost exactly the same! I did it the last time because my husband had not yet experienced it! If you plan on this take closed toed shoes...they do not allow open shoes for the galley portion.

And, what about the Balcony Dining...how is the food? How is it kept warmed if they bring it all at once and then just serve it to you as you are ready for that course? If you did it, did you enjoy it and if so, would you do it again? I have never done the Ultimate Balcony Dinner but we did the Champagne Breakfast (courtesy of our wonderful TA) on our last cruise. I loved it and would probably choose that over the UBD...it was so relaxing and romantic...I felt like a newlywed all over again :grin !

What type of food is served in the Cafe Caribe restaurant? Evening at Cafe Caribe offers a variety of dining choices. Our trip on the Emerald offered a Seafood Buffet, Rijstafel Buffet, Bavarian Bierfest Buffet, Madras Buffet, Italian Trattoria Buffet, etc The buffet offering for each evening was listed in the Patter.

Where is the sushi? I have no idea...I hate the stuff! Keep in mind that there is no raw fish in the sushi aboard...health concerns I guess.

One of the dining options that I enjoyed most on this ship was the International Cafe....especially at lunchtime. They have lovely small sandwiches and salads and delicious pastries....A very tasty way to avoid too much food in the dining room or in the Buffet.

20 days 'eh......Colour me GREEN!

C

Corky

Beryl - Thank you so much for all of your help. I am putting all of your information into my spreadsheet. Hints like the Adagio Bar are what I am looking for and the info on all of the specialty dining will help us decide what to do. That breakfast on the balcony sure sounds romantic. May have to try that as well. :thumb

I bought the cutest little black woven wrap today at Maurice s at the Mall. It will come in handy and will dress up a lot of outfits. I wanted different colors, like Caribbean colors, but they only had black, gray and maroon. So I only got the black one. I can't believe I am shopping already...I have 565 days to go! :lol

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. :)

W

Whimsy

We loved the Emerald Princess.

If you decide to have dinner at Sabatini's reserve a table by the window and try to plan your dining time around sunset. Trust me, you won't regret it. The food is wonderful but go hungry. It really is a lot but so good if you love dining.

We really liked stopping by the International Cafe and having a light bite to eat. I couldn't get my head around this concept until we actually were on board and experienced the delicious cookies, the gelatto, the salads, etc. I also got a coffee card, the coffee bar was right there and it was a great place to unwind. DH would also sit there and visit with other cruisers while I would catch up on the internet.

You can get an olive sampler at Adagio's and the other martini bar. Not be missed! The other martini bar, can't think of the name right now, was a great place to people watch on formal night. We met a great group of people on board and we had the best time on the second formal night, sipping a drink and checking out the beautiful gowns, tuxes, etc. everyone was wearing.

You are so lucky! 20 days on the Emerald sounds like a dream come true!

C

Cruise cutie

Hey Girlfriend..:girly...:grin..we got so that the waiters at Crooner's every night when Mark and I were on board our 20 dayer..smiled, waved, went to the bar poured Mark a Capt and Diet Coke, and me a tempting frozen Dirty Banana some awful TA got me @ddicted to!!..=twobeer....they got his card and processed it..:lol..the one time, never needed it again..we tripped in there after the first few days, and ambled back every night..
Marie is right it's *THE* perfect people watching spot pre-dinner!!
we don't do Sabatini's..not my cuppa for the taste and yes I know I am Italian!!..=shrug..
BUT we spent 4 glorious nights at the Crown Grill..=eek..it was stupendous!!..:chef..I still hear the steaks calling my name..:grin..it is a MUST do..and worth every nickel..my husband Mark melts at the thought of their menu...hehehe..
the night we went to Dinner with Michigan - Parrothead Jeff & his DW Kari..we all swore we would not need food for days!!..

we also had an every day ritual of the international Cafe for cappuccinno ...Michael, and Deb sucked us into that habit a few years ago..talk about relaxing!!it really is vacation
um we do NOT do sushi..Blech!!..you go girl..it was at the Horizon Court a LOT of days ..you can have both our shares!!

another victim of the Champagne Brekkie from a TA of note..:grin it is divine...!!..
we also went to the Wheelhouse bar, and for jazz, and Dinner dancing music it was ideal at night..Happy planning Sistah Corky..:kisses..
I got a new sparkle top for the sailing too.to go with my Black Chiffon Pilazzo's... the other day....clearance at Kohl's!!.see it must be Sistah telepathy!!....
see you on board..!!!.she will *NEVER* be the same again.between Ginnylou Who/ Snowblower's/ us!!!.. etc.
they dragged our sorry *sses off kicking and screaming after 20 days..it's why we will gladly do it again!!.....:grin..hehehe..Joanne

C

Corky

Whimsy - thank you so much for taking the time to let me of of "your" secrets. I've made a note of a "window" for Sabatini's. Do you remember if they served Lunch on a Sea Day? When we were on the Golden Princess they served lunch...which for me is better to eat in a place like that during the middle of the day. If not, then we will be going at night.

Also, 2nd vote for Adagio's...you and Beryl...so that is on my list. Olive sampler...yummo!!

Well, I always wanted to do a long cruise for 2011 since it is my husbands 60th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary...how THAT can be I just don't know!! :D But come the end of last year and the beginning of this year we didn't think we'd be able to. Now, we have the Emerald booked and barring any unforeseen problems, we are going!!

We are going to try to hit all of the different dining venues and options on this cruise. We've only ever been in one Specialty restaurant and that was on the Jewel this past Feb., so we are looking forward to this special treat.

Thanks again and Happy Thursday!!

W

Whimsy

I did not see anything for Sabatini's for lunch when we cruised in October. I think it would be great place to have a leisurely lunch on a sea day.

C

Corky

Bummer...well, maybe by 2011 they will be doing lunch in Sabatini's again. I can hope, right. :)

C

Corky

Cruise Cutie ...too stinkin' funny...on the 23rd you and I both posted at 5:40 AM....I'm just now seeing your post!! =hug

Thanks for all of the info on the Emerald...you Know how pumped I am...PUMPED!!!!

Crown Grill....a MUST...pick a night, your choice, matters not to us...as long as we go with You!! :thumb

I'm dying to go to the International Cafe...I've read nothing but good about it and thanks for reinforcing what I've read. Can't wait!!

And the Balcony Brekki...how decadent is that!! :couple Definitely an At Sea day kind of thing to do. :couple

Let me tell you...I just don't know how I am going to contain myself between now and then! I am black and blue with all of the pinching I'm doing. :D And, I am wearing the Emerald pictures out on the internet that I have found, and the ones you all sent us. I'm going crazy!! Oh well...at least it is a short trip! :lol

Ok - back to reality and cleaning the fridge out before our party tonight. Chores...hate 'em!!!

3728jwl44444

Shore Excursion Manager
Sabatini's and Crown Grill comparison

Both are great, but should not be compared because they are just too different from each other.... Try them both !! Allow plenty of time for Sabatini's ! For a special evening for two, i.e. an Anniversary,etc. Crown Grill has those dark, table for two areas, tons of personal service, great chops, steaks, seafood...elegant and wonderful. NOTE: It's a good idea to book Crown Grill and Sabatini's as soon as you can....!

Snowblower

2nd Officer
Corky,
The Crown Grill is a MUST... Sabatini's is not one we would go to, takes too long and way too much food. The International Cafe is the best and I can park myself in front of that venue all day. Only issue we had was breakfast in the buffet, either go early or head to the dining room. It can get very crowded in the mornings. This was the only thing I didn't like about the ship. We plan to sail this ship someday again. Enjoy your 20-days!!!!

Corky

Staff Captain
Thnx Snowblower...since we have 20 days I am sure we will hit the Crown Grill twice, once for each 10 day, the International Cafe all of the time :D and Sabatini's once ~ maybe, we never have because of the amount of food they serve. I wish they would open back up for lunch at sea days like they used to, then you have time to walk it off the rest of the day...or take a nap one. LOL

We also plan on doing the balcony breakfast one of the 10 days and the balcony dinner during one of the 10 days. Kind of mix it up. ;)

Hope to see you on board one of these days!!

JimandJerry

Shore Excursion Manager
Ok - so my hubby and I are going to run away in 2011 aboard the Emerald for 20 delicious days!
And, of course I have a few questions. I have started my spreadsheet for excursions at each port, my clothing spreadsheet, and am now working on the Ship.

What should we know, do, see, etc on the ship?

Which Specialty restaurant is the best...Sabatini's or Crown Grill?

We picked Anytime Dining because for 20 days we want a lot of freedom at dinner time...I would like to try Sabatini's but am afraid that there is just too much food...does Sabatini's still offer a lunch? That would work better for me if they did. Ha!

Who has done the Chef's Table? Did you enjoy it and if so, would you do it again?

And, what about the Balcony Dining...how is the food? How is it kept warmed if they bring it all at once and then just serve it to you as you are ready for that course? If you did it, did you enjoy it and if so, would you do it again?

What type of food is served in the Cafe Caribe restaurant?

Where is the sushi? :D

Thnx for your help!! =sailor

Here is a great site (http://www.beyondships.com/Princess-EP-Profile.html) that will give you an excellent look at the Emerald Princess. We will be sailing on her again Sunday Nov. 1st B2B. If you would like something from the ship, let us know?

Jim

Corky

Staff Captain
Thank you for the info. We cancelled the Emerald and booked the Grand for a month earlier and only 14 days vs 20 days. But the site you provided is awesome and I appreciate your help. :)

JimandJerry

Shore Excursion Manager
We're happy you all enjoyed the "BeyondShips" web site. Even though we have cruised many times, we still enjoy this site. It just gets the juices flowing even more!!!! CAN'T HARDLY WAIT!!

Jim