Close

View Poll Results: Is it fair or correct that crew can smoke in cabins and inside bars?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

22 41.51%
  • YES

31 58.49%
Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Smoking - Did you Know?

I just had this confirmed this week and found it fascinating.

All crew can still smoke in their cabins, crew bar, wherever they want.

So, that begs a few questions about the policy.

1) Fire hazard? Sorry, hundreds of inside cabins with smoking cancel that one out.
    2) Allergies - Health Hazards? - These cabins are on the same deck as passenger inside cabins. Perhaps that accounts for the "I smelled smoke" complaints I read elsewhere. I bet if you told vehement non-smokers this was going on, they wouldn't believe you. The mind is quite good at tricking itself.
    3) Ethical issues - how it is fair to put all the cruise crew "at risk" and not us? On the flip side, how is it fair that crew get to smoke in their cabins and we can't?

Just find the whole contradiction very interesting. This information is current as of today on all Celebrity ships, incuding Solstice class.

Thoughts?

Re: Smoking - Did you Know?

Very interesting, I do not smoke so I really don't care if we can smoke in our cabinets, But I do get the point

Hi Jeanie, thanks for getting the contradiction. I do smoke, never had a problem with separate areas of the ship, etc. but when they did the total ban (let's face it, a few tiny OUTDOOR pool areas hardly constitute accomodating smokers on large ship - especially on formal nights! LOL - that was it for me on Celebrity. I'm not going out onto a windy deck several decks up or down in a dress while I'm trying to enjoy myself and have a good time.

Which is my I'm hitting the Meditteranean on Princess in a few days. Less hassles.

So, all the reasons people give to applaud it kinda go out the window (excuse the pun) when crew is all smoking in comfort and peace. Just like they used to do with pax cabins, they are "Febrezed" and the new crew members taking the cabin don't notice at all.

I've made some great friends with the crew over the years, and we stay in touch. Obviously, Celebrity doesn't point this contradiction out to the public. Most officers smoke as well...in their cabins.

I could have even lived with the cabin ban (although I thought it was silly when they've allowed smoking for 50+ years), but no bars with smoking or relaxing indoor areas, this Elite had to book elsewhere. Burns me up...LOL

I recommend:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheet6.html

I for one am glad that guest smoking inside X ships has been eliminated, and I wish crew smoking was also eliminated. The CDC says that 21% of US adults over 18 are smokers (see http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/smoking.htm). Clearly there are nearly four times more of us who have chosen not to smoke, and do not want to inhale someone else's second hand smoke.

Ted, this thread wasn't intended to start a smoking debate. Just thought people would find the policies surprising and ironic.
    Last edited by Conniemc; Nov 1st, 2009 at 02:17 PM.

I averaged a pack-a-day for 37 years (Yeah, just think how many cruises that could have paid for!). My take is that ...

1) Passengers can be very critical of cosmetic damage to the ship's interiors. If unrestricted smoking were allowed, how long would if be before we started seeing posts about burn marks on the taple/counter tops, holes in the carpeting, smoke stains on the curtains/walls, etc? If the crew messes up their home, that's one thing. But, today's passengers (rightly or wrongly) demand "perfection" in the ship's appearance. If additional crew were hired, solely to repair/replace damaged items, the cost of crusing would go up to compensate for the expense of salaries and materials.

2) Passengers can smoke (fairly) unrestrictedly ashore. Not all the crew has the optin of diembarking in every port.
    Last edited by Calgon1; Nov 1st, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

MisterD21 is offline If you take me serious, it's your problem

I think we all know what Ted is smoking and it isn't tobacco....

For every study done to say second hand smoke is harmful there is one saying there is no correlation to seconhand smoke and medical ailments, or there is no health risk.

If he would like to complain about poor air quality via smoke, perhaps he should lobby his local governments to impose a environmental air quality fee for his local coal-fired power plant. One coal-fired power plant belches out more tons of carcinogens into our air than all the smokers combined. Or perhaps, they should do away with cars that emit noxious exhaust.. the exhaust from cars is as, or more harmful for you to inhale than the air of any bar filled with cigarette/cigar smoke.

No... it's far simpler for him to demonize smoking because it is already linked to carcinogenic compounds that have been suspected of causeing cancer(again there is no hard evidence to make a definite link between smoking and cancer). Having said that i must say there is no safe cigarette and smoking does indeed cause emphysema. Plain and simple... if you're susceptable to getting cancer, you are just as likely to get it from smoking as you are to living in an area which has a coal-fired power plant, or in a dense city where air can stagnate, and vehicle exhaust can linger.

I used to smoke. I am not one of those militant ex or non smokers though :)

When I did smoke, I was always considerate of those who did not. I never smoked in my apartment or anyone else's home because while I enjoyed having a smoke, I hated the smell of stale cigarette smoke.

I think the big difference in the guest vs. employee smoking policy is the crew cabins are where they actually live, their "home" for the duration of their contract. So, if they are allowed to smoke in their "home" and choose to, I think it is OK. On the other hand the guest cabins are the guest's home for only a few days to a week or so then somebody else moves in. So, to me, the difference in policy is understandable.

Exclamation Re: Smoking - Did you Know?

The issue here, as Connie re iterated is concerning crew being allowed to smoke in their cabins, crew lounge areas, and other crew areas of the ship vs. passengers are not given the same options or privileges of being allowed to smoke in their cabins or at best some lounge areas, or specific interior areas and are forced to go on deck. Is it right or wrong? is it fair from a passenger standpoint?

The issues that are not at hand in this thread are virtues, health, health risk, health risk by association, or the demise of human existence caused by the demon leaf.

If we keep this on track it can be an interesting discussion.

No pointing fingers MisterD.................

BSeabob is offline Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change
    Deep in the Fraser Valley of Beautiful BC, Canada

Sure it's fair they have to work on the ships and we don't have to go as passengers unless we want to.

I have recently enjoyed the =X= changes they have made about smoking.
    We are all here...cause we are not all there.
    Next Cruise: Dry Dock

Last cruise: NOV 2014 Panama Canal east to West on the Celebrity Infinity