How do you stop a wound from throbbing?

GloBug

Senior Flea Coller Tester
I cut my thumb deeply on April 9. This weekend I realized while the outside was healing, the inside hurt like heck and had a green pool in it. I ended up at the dermatologists this morning. She numbed up my thumb, and dug waaay deep into it to clean it out. She said it was so deep that the outside healed first, and the damaged cells inside just basically liquified. Ugh! No infection, but it was causing me to develop some pain and sensitivity to touch. It was ugly to watch her clean it out, and see how deeply she was going with that scalpel. It doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would, but the constant throbbing is awful! Anyway to minimize that?

Whimsy

Staff Captain
Not sure but maybe keep it above heart level? I don't know why but that is the first thing that popped into my head.

Hope you feel better soon.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Glo - any reason for not taking a pain med such as Tylenol, Advil, Bufferin, etc?

Marie gave you a good suggestion. How about crushing some ice in a bag, and keeping it on a few minutes/off awhile, on/off...

Pucci said he's sorry you have an "owie".

GloBug

Mama D, I took some Ibuprofen last night before I went to bed, and I slept comfortably, kinda.

The throbbing doesn't seem to be position dependent, and is ok this morning. If it bothers me during the day, I'll be calling the medical office. Donna, I think your suggestion might help with the throbbing, but it won't help my sleeping! LOL!

KathyC

Staff Captain
Sorry about your injury & don't know how to stop the throbbing but you watched the dr dig into your cut??? When I'm having something like that done, I never watch!.

Gayle V

Cruiser's Compass Editor
Keep it elevated above the heart, take an anti-inflammatory pain reliever (Motrin or Aleeve is best, Tylenol is not anti-inflammatory, aspirin might increase the bleeding), keep the bandage not too tight, and apply cold (for not more than 20 minutes out of each hour. Twenty four hours after the debridement change that to warmth, instead of cold.

Even if you don't think the throbbing is related to position, keep it elevated above the heart anyway. Throbbing is always related to your heart beat. It's merely feeling of your pulse in a tender area. If you don't believe it, just try counting your pulse along with your throbbing. They will be the same rate. (possibly not perfectly synchronized, but the same rate.) Also, elevating it will reduce (and prevent the increase of) the swelling. The more swelling the worse the throb.

Last edited:

NiteStar

Safety Officer
Okay...now my finger hurts from just reading about yours! And there is no way I could have watched the doctor dig into my finger. Even if I'm completely numb.....if I can see it or hear it.....I can feel it! :biggrin:

I hope you get better soon......and whatever you did to cut it....don't do that again! :biggrin:

GloBug

Keep it elevated above the heart, take an anti-inflammatory pain reliever (Motrin or Aleeve is best, Tylenol is not anti-inflammatory, aspirin might increase the bleeding), keep the bandage not too tight, and apply cold (for not more than 20 minutes out of each hour. Twenty four hours after the debridement change that to warmth, instead of cold.

Even if you don't think the throbbing is related to position, keep it elevated above the heart anyway. Throbbing is always related to your heart beat. It's merely feeling of your pulse in a tender area. If you don't believe it, just try counting your pulse along with your throbbing. They will be the same rate. (possibly not perfectly synchronized, but the same rate.) Also, elevating it will reduce (and prevent the increase of) the swelling. The more swelling the worse the throb.

Oh, I absolutely know it's related to the heart beat, Good point about keeping the swelling down by keeping it raised. I'll need to tape it to my shoulder!

Where do I apply warmth? (it's been over 24 hours.) Over the bandage? With a heating pad? One of those microwave gel pads?

Gayle V

Cruiser's Compass Editor
Yes, over the bandage. And KK is right, moist heat is always better.

And Calgon, you are so bad. :smack:That sounds like you just suggest she go suck her thumb?