Allure of the Seas repairs

jeb2006

Water Sports Instructor
My wife and I are scheculed to cruise on RCL Allure of the Seas - Jan. 26 to Feb. 2, 2014.
Noted on the web site the note for Allure, "Please note: The sailing for February 23, 2014 has been cancelled due to scheduled repairs."
Although this does NOT affect our cruise at end of Jan., should I be concerned about us going on a ship
that is needing repairs at end of Feb.??

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
If it's scheduled there is nothing to be concerned with. It's the unscheduled ones that cause all the concern.
enjoy your plans and run up to the cruise.

jeb2006

Water Sports Instructor
What I saw online concerning Allure of the Seas repairs:
"Allure of the Seas has been experiencing excessive and unanticipated bearing wear in one of its three propulsion motors. All three motors are fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, since the rate of bearing wear is directly related to ship’s speed, we have had to limit the ship’s top speed. This has reduced the rate of bearing wear and will ensure that all of three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed.
We have explored numerous repair options. Regrettably, there is no satisfactory solution that does not involve taking the ship temporarily out of service."
So, with the above statement I wonder how concern should I be about going on cruise on Allure on Jan. 26?

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
See my above response. If you are booked you are past your final payment and there is little you can do anyways except lose money and cancel. Engine problems (bearings) are quite infrequent but not an unheard of issue.
Sounds like for once a Company is being upfront about some issues they are having. There is no safety concern or your Coast Guard would have shut them down already. You might look at it this way. If the cruise is affected by the issue you may win the lottery and be refunded and given a "FREE" cruise.

Now all that may seem a little glib to you but as a pax on a ship that had cause to "Cancel" a cruise during a sailing and being dropped in a kinda out of the way place and all the grief that went with it...if you are booked there is just no sense in getting all worried. Ship does happen. You at least have a bit of warning for what that is worth. AND you are just off in the Caribbean a bit.

good luck