debarkation time from ship

C

cruisetogo

I'm leaving on my first cruise and was wondering if someone could tell me how long it takes to debark when the ship returns to port and what I have to go through. I want to make sure I have enough time to catch my plane back home. Thanks!

Navigator - Aug. 21/04

D

defritz

My debarkation process took over 2 hours. But, we had issues with the luggage line and it was very disorganized. Hopefully, you won't experience the same thing I did.

M

Mbandy

You'll be off the ship by 10:00 to 10:30 in most cases. You'll leave your suitcases outside your cabin door the night before the cruise returns. The porters will take the bags down in to the storage area that night. When the ship docks, your bags will be inspected by officers of the U.S. Custome Service. After Customs clears the ship they will allow passengers to disembark. This is done by groups. You will be issued certain colored baggage tags for getting off the ship and will be allowed off by color. People with early return flights will be issued tags with colors that will be called to disembark first. After you're off the ship you'll pass through immigration where you'll need to show your passport (or citizenship papers). After you're done there you go to the area where you will claim your bags. After you have your bags you will pass through customs (with the customs form you have already filled out). After customs it's off to the airport.....until next time, that is. I'v usually had no real problems disembarking. Just have another cup of coffee, be patient and you'll do fine. ENJOY the Navigator...I recommend CHOPS if you get a chance. It was great!

Happy Cruising,

Michael

C

cantw82cruz2

Yes, I would say be patient, bring cards or a book. We were out of the room by around 7am, had breakfast, then sat around and waited until 10:30 or so. And we were some of the first to be called off the boat!

S

Searcher

On the Grandeur, out of NO, we were off at 9:05 and back at the hotel by 10:00. Out of Port Everglades or Miami, God only knows as security is... well it just is.

K

Ken_2001

Well for me if they ask me to debark, I just simply tell them I'm still waiting for the ship to pull out! :Oh, but I insist sir, I don't believe this ship ever left! :lol

S

sailboat

17 cruises (and counting!) and we had a problem with debarkation only once--the time we made our own air arrangements! After years of letting others handle stuff for us, I guess we just weren't as savvy as we thought and hadn't fully considered the amount of time we'd need to leave to get to the airport. We screeched up to gate about five minutes after they closed the plane doors.! Fortunately we were able to get seats on the following flight so it turned out okay. The cruise lines do a great job of collecting, sorting, and delivering baggage and getting folks off the boat in a timely fashion. Keep a good book, crossword puzzle, or cards handy to help you through the wait. Most lines debark passengers needing wheelchair and, those with priority (early flights, club status) first.

The only "don't" I can think of is "Don't sit on the steps or on the floor!" I've seen folks do this even when there are plenty of lounge seats that are far more comfortable.

L

Lisa

I have to agree with sailboat....don't sit on the stairways!!!!! EVERY cruise I have been on address this during their debarkation talks and request that you do not sit on the stairs as it impedes others trying to get off....but guess what? It seems MANY PEOPLE DO NOT LISTEN!!!!! Have you ever tried to navigate your way down a staircase blocked by people sitting where they are NOT supposed to be? It is difficult and it slows down the debarkation process for EVERYONE! But you cannot tell these people anything -they only think of themselves.

K

Ken_2001

After a couple in front of me asked some woman sitting on the stairs on Voyager to please sit somwhere else, she gives the couple a dirty look.

Here's where I come in. BANG!!!! OOPS!!!! Sorry ma'am, but my suitcase is really big. Hey you wanna be a stinker? HA!

K

Ken_2001

After a couple in front of me asked some woman sitting on the stairs on Voyager to please sit somwhere else, she gives the couple a dirty look.

Here's where I come in. BANG!!!! OOPS!!!! Sorry ma'am, but my suitcase is really big. Hey you wanna be a stinker? HA!