Worth upgrading from a BC outdoor balcony to a Mini Suite?

N

NJRonbo

Have booked a BC (Outdoor Balcony) aboard GOLDEN PRINCESS for May.

Have the opportunity to upgrade to a Mini Suite for about $200 per person.

Are the Mini Suites that much larger/better than the regular balconies?

Bathroom more spacious?

What extra anemnities (if any) are included to those that get a Mini Suite?

Is faster check-in available for mini suite bookers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

D

DebraK

I guess a lot depends on what deck you are on. If you are on the Caribe deck now, I wouldn't trade the oversized balcony for a mini-suite. Or, if you are inclined to use your room a lot, then maybe a mini suite might be better for you. Or, if you need the larger bathroom area - the showers in the regular rooms are pretty snug :)

$400??? Hmm, I'd have to be really convinced to pay that much more.

L

Lady Jag

An "outside balcony"? Where else would the balcony be? :lol :lol
Sorry, just had to pick on your for that! :lol :lol

Seriously though, $400 is a lot for the upgrade. They usually run specials for $100 per person. We've had mini-suites and the extra space is nice and I like having a tub instead of a shower with a shower curtain that sticks to your well, you know. :grin The minis also have 2 TVs too. Other than that, there are no perks whatsoever. If you don't like completely exposed balconies, then the minis aren't for you either. Personally, we love them, but not everyone does.

I'd wait until the price came down and then move up or stay where you are. The Caribe balcony cabins have the largest balconies out of the reg. balcony cabins and would also be a good move. :)

S

Snowblower

Room larger - yes definately. Bathroom larger, better - yes, Lady Jag says it all. We would take an "A" category room over a "B" category every time. We are on vacation, we want comfort, space and a place to spread out and relax. The mini also has a couch sitting area and much more space to put things away (drawers, etc.). If you are not a Princess Platinum member or better the mini will allow you to go check-in in the Platinum check-in line which is usually much faster. We hated standing in line for a long time with the rest of the cattle and are now very happy to use the Platinum check-in every time we go.....

F

Frank Black

You are paying $400 extra for a bathtub and about an extra 6' by 10' feet of space. I'd rather spend that money on spa treatments, a shopping spree, etc. How much time do you really spend in the cabin?

N

NJRonbo

We spend 80% of our total time at sea in the room.

When we have sailed with RCCL we have always
stayed in a Junior suite or larger.

We are room people. We love our balcony time
and would rather hang there than poolside.

So, you can see that a larger balcony and roomier
cabin is at the top of our list.

I'll call Princess and see if they are running any specials.

AS FOR EXPOSED BALCONY....

Just how exposed are the balconies?

Can people above you see your entire balcony
area completely?

F

Frank Black

I guess if you spend so much time in your room the extra space is nice. Many of the balocnies are quite exposed on the newer Princess ships. I had a very large and private balcony off the aft of the Star Princess.

H

higavin

It depends on which deck you are on as to how exposed the balconies are.

On Grand class ships on Caribe deck, the balconies are partially overhung by Baja deck above so there is an area that is not exposed to view. The balconies on other decks are open to the decks above to look down on.

P

pockets

Hi Everyone
We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in May. We are booked on the Baja deck, could someone please let me know how exposed the balconies are on theis deck. This is our first cruise and we really don'r know what to expect.
Thanks

S

Snowblower

The "extra 6' by 10' feet of space" is not exactly correct. The "Ocean View Double with Balcony" which is the "BA-BF" category staterooms is approximately 214 to 257 square feet, including the balcony. The "Mini-Suite" which is the "AA-AE" category staterooms is approximately 323 square feet, including the balcony. The difference in sq. ft. on the "BA-BF" category staterooms are solely dependant on location and type. There are a handful that have larger balconies because they are situated next to the full-size suites on the rear of the ship (i.e.: dolphin Deck). There are also some that are for the physically disabled that have been made larger to accommodate wheelchair access. Bottom line is that the majority of the ocean view double balcony staterooms are 214 sq. ft., more than 100 sq ft smaller than the Mini's.

As for the balcony exposure the pic below says it all. This one is of the Sapphire Princess but having also sailed the Golden the balcony layout is just about the same. The lowest deck where the balconies protrude is "Dolphin". Next is Caribe, then Baja, Aloha and finally the highest and closest are on Lido. The balcony staterooms on Lido are only at the front of the ship. Where the ship protrudes out is the start of the common area. You can make your own decisions from this....

The Caribbean Princess has one more deck with staterooms than the Sapphire so it not configured exactly like this but probably pretty similar. The Caribbean is the only Grand Class ship we haven't sailed on so I can help much.

Hope this clarifies things.

sapphire4.JPG

P

pockets

Thanks Snowblower
It was very helpful. I am pleased with the balcony. Looking forward to the cruise.

D

Digger

Hello!

My wife and I are on the Grand Princess - Baja Deck, aft / back of the ship (PS / Suite w/ Balconey) - for a Med cruise this season.

First time for us - both very excited. Curious though:

Balcony expsoure to Terrace Pool deck and other close by (above)?

Noise from same?

Any hints, suggestions? :)

Thx & Rgds

DM & NM

N

Nanni-B.

I don't know about the Baja deck, but our balcony on the Carib deck C523 was OUTSTANDING! Mother in law and I could hang out all afternoon visiting and sipping wine, and some can sit in shade and some in sun. This was the biggest bonus on a cruise we have had yet! It was mildly irritating when someone from one of the above decks threw oranges, whipping cream, ?pudding, among other things onto our balcony, and the completely exposed balcony below us. Some womans black formal gown was out on their deck airing out I suppose and had this whipping cream goo all over it. What a shame!