Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

A few London questions....

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lady Jag, May 3, 2004.

1. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Can anyone tell me how far it is from London to the port at Southampton?

Also, can anyone recommend a nice hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise?

Thanks for the help! :) :wave :) :wave

2. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Guest

Ladyjag, it is about 60 miles from London toSouthampton. There is a good train service but it is not normal to find porters to help with luggage.

Can't help with the hotel I'm afraid. I live only 25 miles or so from London (on the way to Southampton) so have no need to stay there.

Cnnamon

3. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Thanks, Cinnamon, I appreciate it. While looking around, I found a couple car companies that transfer from London to Southampton, but the prices were double the train costs. Unfortunately, the train has a 1:15 PM return time and I'd rather get to the airport ASAP after the cruise. Looks like we'll have to bite the bullet and fork out the 350 pounds (round trip) + tips for a driver I guess. :( Thanks again for the help! :thumb

4. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Lady Jag, might you be able to purchase transfers from the cruise line? We had a pretty nice 2-hour bus ride from London to Southampton last year.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. James. It was a beautiful hotel with great service and a magnificent breakfast buffet. The hotel is in a great location near Buckingham Palace. We also walked to Trafalgar Square and other sites, although it wasn't exactly nearby. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

5. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Hi Lisa! :wave Funny you popped up here, 'cuz I was just re-reading your review of your Cunard cruise yesterday! :lol Yes, I suppose we could purchase transfers from the cruise line. We plan on doing a pre-cruise stay and the St. James is my type of hotel! :grin

I'll have to find out what the cruise line charges. I just hate being herded with a bunch of other people and that's why I was looking for alternatives. To me, part of traveling is experiencing a country's transit system. I kinda like being out on our own learning how the natives travel around. :) Thanks for the help and the great review! :thumb

6. Marie Hamrin

Marie Hamrin Guest

350 pounds is way high. That is over $600. Call the agent you booked the cruise with and have them help you. Actually you should have done a package with 2 nites hotel and gotten a reduction on your air.

7. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Lady Jag, thank you for the kind words. You are very welcome. :)