• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Afternoon in the ER with PizzaBoy

L

Lisa63

PizzaBoy took a nasty spill today and landed squarely on his chin, resulting in a 2- to 3-inch gash. After spending 3 hours in the ER, we're now home. Thankfully, he didn't need stitches, although it was being considered. The doctors decided to go with a medical superglue instead, and now we are just hoping it heals properly. I know this is minor compared to what many are going through, so any good thoughts that can be spared will be appreciated.

As for PB -- he seems to be acting like his old self. And, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep him from touching his chin, please let us know. (Bandages aren't working -- he pulls them off.)

H

herb

OMG......... glad to hear that PB is okay. I'm sure he's all shaken up about that now, not to mention his parents. Hope the healing process will go quickly.

S

ShipMaven

Lisa - I'm very sorry to hear about PizzaBoy's spill, but relieved it wasn't worse than it is. :( Please give my buddy a big hug. That had to have been a terrible scare for you and Neil.

Pucci suggested putting an Elizabethan collar on him, but I explained that those collars are not for humans!

Seriously, Lisa, I hope all will be well, and I'll keep PB in my prayers - especially when I go to church this evening.

{{{HUGS}}}

T

The Cruiser

Yikes Lisa. =eek. Tell Pizzaboy(man) that Auntie TC to keep the bandges on. Hope PB feels better soon.

H

H2O babe

Will keep the whole family in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry to say I don't have any ideas for you regarding the touching situation - hopefully he'll get tired of picking at it!!

K.

D

debowah

Glad it worked out quickly and without stitches. Maybe the threat of a serious infection and ensuing scar on his handsome face will keep him from playing with his wound. Or the threat of a "Hello Kitty" bandage???

B

BostonsJ

Oh Lisa I'm sorry Pizza Boy took a spill. It is so scary when our kids get hurt. You will be a wreck while he seems to be recovering. Tell Pizza Boy not to touch the area because he has germs on his hands and he needs to let it heal without an infection. Hugs.....

S

seamom

Oh the worries that give us gray hair! Glad he's on the heal. We've seen the ER a few times and glad nothing worse than a broken arm once. Hope he heals quickly and your heartbeat returns to normal soon.:)

J

JANPEP

Oh how awful, glad it wasnt any worse. Tell him you will splint his arms so they wont bend to reach the area.
Prayers & good thoughts are on the way from MN.
Keep us updated on the touching.

L

Lisa63

Thank you all for your concern and good thoughts. PB is doing well this morning, and I will be after taking a nap to make up for my own missed sleep last night. :)

ShipMaven, I love Pucci's suggestion, and even mentioned it to Neil while we were in the ER. :)

PB was still pulling off the bandage before falling asleep. It's fine for it to be uncovered during the day, but with all the moving around he does at night, it's better if it's covered while he sleeps. So, before he went to sleep, I finally got the idea to do a super-bandaging job -- I put the gauze on his chin, and then wrapped tape around it, circling around the back of his head a couple of times, as well. After he was asleep, concerned that this would be a strangulation risk, I removed it all and replaced it with a new piece of gauze and a small strip of tape. I also put his gloves on. (Thanks, S&M! :thumb) When he awoke this morning, everything, including gloves, were still in place.

The wound still looks ugly, yet we were told it would be about three days until the redness disappears. He's carrying on as normal and his appetite is great.

Thank you all again.

M

maw

Lisa sorry for his fall and banged up chim-hard to convince them to leave things alone. Good Luck --fast healing wishes.

G

GloBug

The parent in you wants him to leave it alone and let it heal without infection or much scaring, the kid in him wants to mess with it and feel it and show it off to his buds, and he isn't too concerned about a scar. (It might even be a bit dashing as he gets older.) I would think that the superglue should close it up better then stitches would, so I wouldn't be too worried. The night time pressure on his face though would be a concern. Maybe just negotiate with him... protect it at night, and during the day, well, just keep it clean and TRY to not mess with it.

Pizza every morning for breakfast he leaves the bandage on all night!

C

Calgon1

Lisa63 said:
if anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep him from touching his chin, please let us know. (Bandages aren't working -- he pulls them off.)
The idea of a shock collar comes to mind. The one with a remote control, so you can Zap him from across the room !

C

Cruise cutie

=hug Lisa.. and may it be a LONG time till you and Neil see the inside of a Hospital for the Pizzaboy ..:grin..mittens are my best recourse..we cannot use them in Rehabilitative Homes as it's "dignity" issue..but since it's in your Home, and you *OWN* him.. go for it!!..it'll be a very small scar eventually.. but in the meantime..sigh... Good thing God invented L'Oreal!!..:)..Joanne

L

Lisa63

Thank you again, everyone. His "scratch," as he calls it, continues to look better (or, less worse). There are no signs of any of the bad stuff we'd been asked to look out for, and he's doing a good job of leaving it alone. It just so happens that he has a routine follow-up visit on Friday with the surgeon who operated on his hamstrings two years ago, so I'm sure he'll check how the scar on his chin is healing, also.

Thanks again for your good thoughts and suggestions.

B

bostongal

Lisa - Sorry I didn't see this earlier but am glad to read that it is healing (and that PB is not touching it constantly).

=hug

Meg