• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Alaska packing

C

cruisinprincess

I am taking my first Alaskan cruise on the diamond on July 2nd. Does anyone have some important suggestions on packing, I have always been on warmer cruises.

F

flexoman

just got back weather was great was supposed to be overcast bring warm jacket for windy decks
bring umbella or some kind of raingear we didnt need it much but we did a little. Rained a little in Ketchikan got a pretty good deal on a local cab ride tour GINA cab driver sourdough cab co ask to go to Herring cove lots of eagle cost me $55.00 for the hour and a ten dollar tip same price for one person or six.

G

gothicreader

I keep looking going to www.noaa.gov and checking out the forecast in Alaska. We leave on our trip from Vancouver on Monday.

We packed both warm and summer clothes. Plus, got a poncho for me and my hubby.

Bring tennis shoes and lots of warm socks, long sleeve blouses (silk/knit) and comfortable jeans/sportwear pants.

Light weight jacket that is water repellant.

Oh, don't forget the mosquito repellant.

F

flbratt

We just got back from Alaska. It wasn't too cold at all like 62 and windy. I have long hair so putting it in a pony tail helped me.
And we didn't have any rain and I didn't feel a mosquito either.
But with Alaska definitely have some kind of rain jacket.
You will love it there...we did!

P

pegleg

We're going on June 24th. My wife packs everything but the bikinis. Along with our Frogg Toggs, we bought 6 or 8 checp ($1) ponchos at Wal-Mart. Use them once, chuck 'em. No sense dragging a wet piece of plastic around.

C

cruisinprincess

Great idea with buying a bunch of the throw away ones! I am excited, I can't wait.

J

Jeana

Also, if you are going to buy souvenir sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc. don't bring any casual t-shirts from home. Just buy and wear in Alaska.

Can anyone tell me if they purchased a tour at the dock in Ketchikan? Been there before but can't remember!

C

Cruizer

It can rain in Alaska. Pack for rain. Bring clothing that you can layer (no parkas). The dock at Katchikan is across the street from stores that sell tours. We took a private tour (not through the ship) and enjoyed it (for about 1/2 the price of the ship tour doing the same thing).

C

Chippsetter

Alaska is so big that we have a diverse variaty of weather. We even have weather warm enough for bikinis. It all depends on your stops. Even just here in Anchorage we can have Hi-60's in one part of town and low 80's in another at the same time. Cruizer was right, pack for layers. That way if you need to add you can and if you get too hot you can take something off.

BTW, you can't tell how you will feel just by looking at the numbers. Alaskanpeach moved up last fall from Arizona (lived there 21 years) outside of Tucson. She felt as hot here at mid 60's as she felt there in the 90's.

C

Cruizer

Chippsetter - I have been in 60 degree weather and 90 degree weather. There is a BIG difference. Also, the mosquitos in Arizona are one third the size of the mosquitos in Alaska.

C

Chippsetter

Cruizer, Alaskanpeach (grew up in Wyoming) thought the same thing until she got here. Now about the mosquitos, Arizona ones are smaller then that. LOL

L

lbeck

Please don't write me off as a sexist, but I found that packing for Alaska was more of a problem for my wife and the other persons of the feminine persuasion. For us guys, it was sufficient to have just enough clothes to be sure that we didn’t get too smelly before we could get our clothes re-laundered. For the women, it was the necessity of having several pairs of shoes to match outfits, and then several coordinated wardrobes. You know, 5 uppers (blouses, sweaters, jackets, etc.) to go with each pair of slacks. Our cruise necessitated 3 pieces of luggage, One to be taken to the boat, one to travel with us, and one carry-on. I had to share half of my boat and land bags with my wife.

The advice that I read often when clothes were discussed for Alaska in the summer is “layers.†That kind of says it all and worked well for us. I took a hike last week during our tour and had a light-weight jacket, a sweatshirt, and a tee-shirt to go with my jeans. The weather was in the ‘50s when we got off the bus in Juneau. Our hiking guide was kind enough to inform me that I wouldn’t need my jacket, so I left it on the bus. I peeled off the sweatshirt about 15 minutes into the hike and tied it around my waist. On the other hand, I had several occasions on the cruise ship where I needed to excuse myself and return to the cabin to get a jacket since the decks can be chilly while the boat is moving.

Again. layers and common sense is your best guide. Also, don’t worry about wearing blue with green or prints with plaids. Your friends know that you’re normally a sharp dresser and one else will really care. ;)