• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Amsterdam Alaska 2011

GloBug

Senior Flea Coller Tester
We went to the Seattle Aquarium on one of our Alaska cruises. It's a very nice aquarium! It was there I saw my first Chihuly glass show, and I fell in love. Came back and went to a full Chihuly showing in the SF de Young Museum, and it was stunning. The Seattle Aquarium was very nicely laid out, if you get the chance try to see it.

GloBug

When we went to Homer, we ventured over to the spit where the shops are, and checked them all out. We then went back to the ship and took a bus to Homer town for a winery and brewery tour. Very interesting, seeing the different small shops that produce some good wines and beers. At one point, Pat went out the the bus to rest a bit, and one of the winery cats came out and kept her company, staying with her until people started coming back to the bus. Sweet kitty!

GloBug

Kodiak island is a very amazing place to sail into. Lovely, stunning scenery... but not much to see on the island, I agree. It's a very long walk into town. We saw an interesting Russian Orthodox church, and toured an old cabin, but there wasn't a whole lot to see in the cabin. There was a wildlife museum that was worth seeing once, but that was about all that the town had to offer. A craft show, but you honestly can only shop so much and then it gets old! (gees, I can't believe I actually said that!) I wonder if Kodiak will be able to step up and increase their offerings for cruise folks.

GloBug

LOVE Sitka. My very fav port to sail into. I would live in any of the homes on any of the little islands as you make your way into the port. Just stunning. We walked all the way to the Eagle rehab center, what an amazing place! On the way back we stopped at the restaurant at the top of your 4:22pm post, and had an ok lunch. The service was so lacking, that at one point Calgon got up to find the waitress and found her smoking and on her cell phone, if I remember right. The french fries were good though! Doesn't matter, Sitka is still a magical port.

GloBug

I loved that cruise last year so much that I had to go through your posting again. No Le Cirque when we were on in August 2010 but we did get the string quartet when boarding, so I'm happy. Great photos and great narrative. Thanks so much for helping me relive a great 14 days!