Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

An idea on how to hang your flag from your balcony W/O putting holes into it.

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Toto, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Toto

Toto Guest

I have looked at this flag now for over 24 hours trying to figure a way that it can be secured to the balcony without putting any holes in it or making it too heavy with extra grommets to fly at home later on. The only idea that I can come up with is to fold over a couple of inches on the right side of it (opposite side of the grommets) then sew a straight seam with heavy nylon thread with the sewing machine. This way a rope can be put through the casings on both sides and attached to the balcony railings. It is the only thing I can come up with so that the flag will hang straight and not sideways from the ships.
    Anyone else out there have any ideas they would like to share?

2. Ali

Ali Guest

I just got mine off the sewing machine after putting a tab on it to hold it in place on a banner pole. I basted the two inches over on the right side, inserted some rope in both casings and tied it to my patio fence. Now, at first it was doing well. Then the wind started blowing and without wind holes in it, it is gonna take a beating in the wind.

Back to the drawing board.

3. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

I haven't gotten mine yet (UPS guy is getting himself in more and more trouble as each day goes by) but would duct tape work Toto? Secure it to the balcony with rope on the side with the grommets and then use duct tape on the other 2 corners? I've been thinking about this potential problem, too.

4. Ali

Ali Guest

I wouldn't trust the duct tape especially with the wind blowing. Also, the tape would leave that sticky residue on the flag. I'm sitting in front of the sewing machine trying to figure this out now :lol :lol Stay tuned!!

5. Bibb

Bibb Guest

In the paint department at stores like Home Depot, they sell nondestructive clamps for Tarps. They have holes for ropes and they clamp the material with vise-like teeth and don't hurt the material.

6. Toto

Toto Guest

That might do the trick there Bibb, we are going to have to come up with some ideas here pretty fast as we have cruisers waiting for the flags to be taken with them within the next 7 days. :( I sure don't want to see any of these end up in the deep blue sea.

7. JimM

JimM Guest

Your ideas sound great. Now if I only had my flag to do it to.
    Yes another day gone by and still no flag. It is frustrating to
    read your comments on the flag and I still don't have it. Any
    suggestions as to why other people have received there flag,
    some a week ago, and I haven't?

8. Ali

Ali Guest

Jim I just received mine today. According to the shipping receipt it was shipped on August 9th. Another @ddict who lives a few blocks from me received hers yesterday. They go through the same UPS center for delivery.....hopefully you will get yours tomorrow.

9. 2TallMike

2TallMike Guest

Jim, me too, no flag. I think they must hate us................It's a conspiracy. :grin

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Where's the UPS man who posts here? Is it Jim? Jim..........you been taking everyone's flags home? LOL

11. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

s7s, I think you might be on to something there! Good idea. I decided today that my UPS guy must be deathly ill, not able to work, and UPS has no substitute driver. This is the ONLY acceptable excuse. If that's not it, the man will be hospitalized tomorrow due to the broken bones and internal injuries he receives if he drives by my house and doesn't stop with my flag :grin

12. Cdnguy

Cdnguy Guest

Why not sew a couple of velcro strips to the flag, one on each end and maybe another one in the middle and then loop both strips around the railing? If you dont want to permanently sew on the stips simply attach them on the flag with a safety pin. That should work. If you don't want to use velcro sew or pin a couple of ribbons at the tie-on spots.

13. Einstein

Einstein Guest

Re: An idea on how to hang your flag from your balcony W/O putting holes into it

Garter Belts are the way to Go. :grin

14. Toto

Toto Guest

Re: An idea on how to hang your flag from your balcony W/O putting holes into it

My concern is attempting to secure it with the winds that sometimes blow so violently. After that cruise on the Millie last year, I saw what the winds did to our American flags that were on our balcony.
    Gerry, that idea might just work but those ribbons or ties would have to be sewn in really well, I don't think that safety pins would do the trick without ripping our little flags. But I am looking through my sewing stuff tomorrow to see if there isn't somethng that might work for ties.

15. Boston's J

Boston's J Guest

OK the flag needs plenty of give and stretch. Perhaps instead of securing it side and side how about top and bottom. Using perhaps a bungee cord type material and loops instead of a straight seam, the flag would have more give.

Judy

16. gambler

gambler Guest

E has the right ideal....LOL

17. Toto

Toto Guest

Judy you try it that way, and I will sew on the ties, if one of them flys off the balcony into the water, then we will take movies of it's owner jumping in to retreive it. :)

18. Kiwi

Kiwi Guest

Stop Press,
    The answer is, give me the flag when we're on the Star Princess.
    I'll hang it up in my room and give Pudgey my Cruise @ddicts shirt to wear for the 19 nights and he can stand on the balcony for everyone to see.
    What do you think of that brilliant idea?
    Do I come up with some clangers or what? You do know what a clanger is don't you?

19. John

John Guest

I liked Bibbs idea of the tarp clamps with ties, seems to make good sense and may work. I know the wind is a big obstacle that I've seen first hand with a lesser flag on the RSMC trip. The wind is no joke and will rip anything that is not secured very well.

If your going to use it for balconies only I suggest going to a good sign shop and getting some professional grade grommets that match the ones that come with the flag.

20. Boston's J

Boston's J Guest

TOTO you know if one went overboard and the owner tried to retrieve it, that the rest of us would be laughing so hard that there is no way pictures or movies could be taken. :lol :lol :lol