Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Anyone with any experience sleeping next to someone with a CPAP machine?

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by GloBug, Apr 28, 2011.

1. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

I've been telling DH for years that he had sleep apnea, but he just laughed at me. Finally a few weeks ago I told him if he didn't tell his doctor, I would! :madd: He did, they sent him home with a testing machine, and the results came in today... very severe case of sleep apnea!

So in a few weeks he gets a CPAP machine (no, that's not an R Calgon). What's it like to sleep next to someone using one of those?

2. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

MUCH quieter then sleeping next to one who doesn't but needs to! The machine it’s self is very quiet and the person wearing it no longer snores or if they do it is very soft….I wish Leatherneck would go back to wearing his…but he won’t wear it anymore. His case was mild.

3. sage

sage Well-Known Member

To me it is like a white noise. I now wake up if I don't hear the C Pap machine on. It really made my quality of life better.

4. GloBug

So maybe I can sleep with out ear plugs for the first time in 26 years? Yahoo! I'll also look forward to sleeping without waking up so much... I used to lay there and pull out theh plugs and listen to his breathing.. then poke him to start breathing again when he would stop. Now I won't worry about that. (smile)

5. Gayle V

Gayle V Cruiser's Compass Editor

The CPAP machines we use at work are noisy, but they are really old. Lots of patients will bring their own from home. Those machines are very quiet. If you can sleep through snoring, you can easily sleep through a new CPAP.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

A friend of our has one

7. GloBug

Doing the CPAP happy dance!
    [​IMG]

8. Bread

Bread Well-Known Member

As said above, the minor white noise of the machine is much better than the snoring!!

9. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Maybe I'll get a couple of them. One for Cody and one for SunFlower ...

10. GloBug

Oooh, I'm gonna first tell Cody you said that! I'll tell Pat second, cause she'll just outright kill ya!

11. Gramma Ann

Gramma Ann Well-Known Member

Oscar got his first in 1993. Many up grades after that. The white noise is very comforting, especially knowing he is breathing well. You will soon get used to it, and will only notice if it stops.

12. JacquieP

JacquieP Well-Known Member

.....and I don't blame her a bit! I just wish Leon would wear his, but I think it never fit properly, so it just sits there.

13. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

It's wonderful !

14. GloBug

Oh Jacquie, that would really upset me! I told Gordon he would have to take it next year on the Sapphire.. and again, he just laughed... sigh...

15. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

And when going on cruises, be sure to tell your TA's about the CPAP so that the cruise line is aware, distilled water can be ordered, and - if you wish - an extension cord can be furnished.

16. Tobyn

Tobyn Well-Known Member

I have found it works well on the cruise . . .especially with the cruise line providing a gallon of water. More than enough. On princess ships, my CPAP fits real nice in the night stand just below the lamp. Depending on cabin configuration and CPAP cord length, you may not need an extension cord . . . .

17. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

Any extension cord(s) needed on Celebrity are an issue when boarding if you take your own. They don't like that. I think it's mostly cords that people take for other reasons and overload with electronics to charge that they are worried about but they are not allowing them onboard without you getting called down to the baggage sheriff.
    So make sure your TA advise the Cruise line as she mentions. We still take our own in carry on.

18. Geekette

Geekette Well-Known Member

It's much quieter when DH uses his. He always uses at home but, does not want to take it on cruises or other vacations. Fortunately i am one of those people that can sleep through almost anything.

19. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Well-Known Member

When he picks his machine, tell him to ask for a light weight one for travel. I did that and recieved one small and light weight - the size of a tissue box. When I found out I needed one (did the study), a friend gave me theirs as they couldn't make it a week. I use that one on a regular basis and it has a mild "white noise" sound. The small one has practically no sound.

20. Lurline63

Lurline63 Well-Known Member

The CPAP is wonderful! Occasionally, I might hear some squeaking if his mask isn't on properly, so I tap him on the shoulder, he adjusts the mask, and we both get some sleep. For those whose spouses/partners need the CPAP but aren't using it, have them go in to make sure the mask fits properly. Also, I believe the mask has to be replaced every so often.

Like a couple of others here, DH also has a separate CPAP for travel. It's smaller and lighter. While it won't count as a carry-on when flying, he is often questioned by TSA, so be prepared for that.

Enjoy your restful slumber, Glo!