• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Are carry-ons enough?...Or am I crazy?

S

Skip&Sauce2K3

All the posts I have read about luggage and packing have always mentioned people bringing bags they need to check in. We (four of us) are going on our first cruise and don't really see the neccessity of check-in bags. We have gone on land-based vacations many times (including week-long vacations) and have been able to fit everything in carry-ons. Can we do the same, or does cruising require extra things to pack that we are not yet aware of? Are there things that should be brought on a cruise that one wouldn't normally bring to a hotel? Do we really need to pack eveything in check-ins or can we do as we always do and fit it all in carry-ons?

Thanks in advance

~Skip

L

Lady Jag

Yes, you're crazy. :grin

For a family of 4, we can usually "get by" with 2 36" suitcases, 2 30" suitcases, and a over-the-shoulder carry-on. Sometimes, we also bring our laptop in it's own laptop case. If you're very shrewd with packing, you might be able to get away with 3 suitcases. We've gotten our own personal packing list down to a science thanks to great websites like CruiseDiva's: <http://www.cruisediva.com>

Yes, you have to pack a lot more than a reg. land vacation. We'll change our clothes 3-4 times a day on a cruise:

morning shore excursion wear,
beach/pool wear,
afternoon around the ship wear (we try to recycle the morning's wear here if possible), and dinner wear.

One thing we NEVER cruise without - our 2 over-the-door hanging shoe organizers. The bathrooms are small on cruise ships and we use the pockets of the organizers to hold our own shampoo, blow dryer, suntan lotion, sunglasses, nylons, flashlight, etc. - all those little things that are normally lying around on the countertops.

S

sailingrose

I agree with Lady Jag about the over the door shoe holders and the clothes. For a long weekend my husband and I can cruise with 2 carry on bags. The 4 of us can't do it on less then 5 bags for a weeks cruise. Don't forget the garment bags for your formals if you plan on attending the formal nights. We usually wear at least 2 outfits per day and of course bathing suits. We always carry at least 2 bathing suits with us.

CruiseDiva's packing list is excellent. She's thought of everything and it's a great list. If you have more questions please ask away, we'll all be happy to help.

P

Petert

Hi Skip...

One of the great things about cruise vacations is that you only unpack/pack once while you enjoy various ports of call and social situations. You can get by with a minimum wardrobe, but you might enjoy dressing differently for occasions when additional clothing is so little hassle. We traveled around Europe from place to place, by train, and were always looking for ways to minimize our luggage since it was such a pain lugging it around and unpacking every couple days. Now we travel mostly by cruise ship, and have hit a happy medium between carrying enough changes of clothing and usually very minimal handling of suit cases.

Peter

S

Sara Lee

I brought tooo much the first cruise and then not enough the second .

I made it by but I would say bring more .. get a big suitcase that expands and a hanging clothes bag and a carry on bag .

depending on what you like to where .. I dont always wear what i bring but you may not be like some of us

BUT IF YOU do have a problem with EATING CHOCOLATE then you will need to bring a couple of things that will fit a day or two into your cruise or you will be terribly uncomfortable .
Those are my recomendations ..

M

magnumcoog

I wish carry ons were enough, seems like when we cruise it looks like that scene from Titanic. Three car loads of stuff, if I need to rent a car, it is not based on how many people it will sit, but how many suitcases I can fit in it.

Post Edited (07-22-03 13:44)

S

Skip&Sauce2K3

I doubt we'll be needing the formal wear. We see it as being our relaxing vacation and would perfer not to dress up. We just want to "chill," lol. Unless I am reading wrong, which I might be, it seems that a good portion of the clothes you suggest bringing are for the dinner. Probably eating dinner in our room via room service or the Windjammer (is that right?), I am guessing that we'd be saving a lot of luggage space. Hopefully without the dinner wear we will be able to use carry-ons...we despise the check-in lines and the luggage carousel ;). I guess we'll have to wait and see. If the carry-ons don't work, then we will know to check in our bags for next time.

Post Edited (07-21-03 20:51)

L

Lady Jag

Yes, you're right, Skip. If you 'skip' the formal dinners, you'll save a lot of room in the suitcases.

But, you will probably have to check your carry-on suitcases at the port. The airport, no, the port, yes.

Most cruise lines are getting pretty picky about the luggage going through their security scanners. You can't just roll your luggage right onto the ship (at least this is the way most ports are operating now). Once it's handed over to the stevedores at the port, you won't see your luggage for hours until it's delivered to your room. You can TRY to roll it onboard yourself, but it may not work. Just wanted to warn you in case that's what you were asking. :)

L

ljeanbrown

Lady Jag, if it is a true carry on bag they allow them to be taken right on the ship.

Laurie :wave

L

Lady Jag

Laurie - Are you sure at all ports with all cruise lines? The last couple cruises we've taken (Carnival - LA & AOS - SJU) they wouldn't let people take roll along carry-on bags on the ship. They had to go with the rest of the luggage. Maybe it was just the first few passengers or maybe by the late afternoon, people were 'sailing' by the stevedores. Or, maybe it's changed since August. :? :?

Either way, just wanted to warn Skip ahead of time - just in case they want to take his carry-ons. :)

G

golffore2001

Don't sacrifice some of the great dining room food for a couple of suitcases. I always enjoy the lobster tail and filet mignon which are served on the formal nights. One suit and a couple of shirts and ties will do you.

L

ljeanbrown

Lady Jag, no I have not sailed out of all the ports or all the cruise lines. But in FLL , Tampa, Port Canaviral and San Juan. And on Celebrity, RCCL and Princess, they were allowed. They tell you to put your valuables in your carry on and to keep it with you. I would never give them my valuables to check in.Maybe we should do a post and see if anyone else has had this happen so we could know ahead of time. This is not a pleasant thought, I hope they are not starting a new trend.

S

Sara Lee

If you really dont want to dress up but enjoy the meals , just go on the informal nights
and a nice shirt and pants will do and a nice pantsuit or dress or matching outfit will be fine .. ACCESSORIZE to make up the difference ..

but at least try to make one dining room meal .. you will love it .. The first night is usuallly the best dinner and they dont expect you to dress up for that because they figure your luggage isnt delievered yet

AND IF YOU CARRY ON BAGS IT WONT BE HA HA HA HA

THAT IS COOL ..

L

Lady Jag

Laurie - Guess I'm not explaining myself very well. (it's not the first time :grin ) What I'm talking about having to be checked in with the stevedores (dudes at the pier) is the roll-along type suitcases that you might carry on a plane.

They don't expect us to check in our smaller carry-ons that might go over the shoulder or be held by the hand. That's where I put my jewelry too and there's no way I'm checking that after having a camera stolen. But, the bigger bags that look like suitcases we've seen having to be checked in. ?????

It's just something to be aware of so that Skip (or anyone else) doesn't put all their valuables in their carry-on rolling-type suitcases and then has to dig it all out at the pier.

Did that make sense? :dizzy :grin :dizzy

S

sailingrose

In Miami last month they turned away anyone with a suitcase on wheels that was bigger then about 20 inches. It was explained to one of those people that all the carry on luggage was holding up the scanner lines and making boarding a mess. Better think pretty small as I think this will be the wave of the future.

A

Ali

My laptop case is actually a rolling carry-on. I have never had a problem taking it onboard with me. As SailingRose said though they are limiting the size of the bags that can be put through the scanners. There was a couple a few weeks ago on the Adventure that wanted to roll their duffle bag on wheels with them and security told them no. They would not let them load it on the scanners so it had to be taken back outside. Security gave them an RCI shopping bag to pull their valubles and medication out of it as the couple said it had to go with them as it contained those articles. Well from the size of it you knew it wasn't carry-on luggage on the plane. It would have taken up half of an overhead bin. They just wanted the bag with them. Security stood firm and the couple pulled some things out of it and it was tagged and taken outside.

I'm with Bobbie...there is no way I could pack for my daughter and myself in 2 carry-ons. Her junk without the clothes takes up that much room. Her shoes take up an entire carry-on. :lol

L

ljeanbrown

Lady Jag,
It's ok I knew what you meant :lol we take a regular carry on with wheels about 20 inches or so with us , both on the plane and on the ship. That is why I'm a bit worried if they are not letting them on. They are per airline regulations for a carry on size, but they are the kind with wheels that you are talking about.So far we have had no problem or have not seen a problem.But if you have then I am wondering about our next cruise in Sept. On our May cruise this year on the Grand we did not have a problem, that is our most recent cruise, but we have been on 4 in the last year and so far so good.But I would hate for it to become one in the future. We both have back problems and with what we need to put in a carry on it would be to heavy for us to carry in an over the shoulder type bag.

G

ginny

Skip, you don't say how long the cruise is you are planning. If it's a short cruise, like 3-4 days we have done the carryon like you are asking and have been fine. We each have our own and pack mix and match type outfits that give us different looks without bringing a lot of clothes. Dress on the shorter cruises is more casual and one pair of dark pants or skirt can take you into the dining room with a nice silk shirt for formal night without all the bulk of dress clothes. There were many people dressed in a similar way and we didn't feel at all out of place. Have fun!

M

mabinbklyn

I & my two teens always travel with carry-ons (the small wheeled type) and always carry them on board--at least, that's been my experience so far on a fair number of cruises. and I always dine in the dining room

It takes some planning and creative packing, and I don't mind wearing the same dress twice. I accessorize differently & only bring 1 pair of formal shoes. And if necessary, I'll send a few things to be laundered or dry-cleaned. So it can be done if that's what you want.

As I tell me kids, you don't have to bring everything you own on vacation!

Mary