Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Are carry-ons enough?...Or am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by Skip&Sauce2K3, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Mary - Don't forget the kitchen sink! :grin We always overpack. It's tradition! :grin Seriously, I'm finding that the more cruises I go on, the more sized down my packing list gets.

I guess the only thing we can all do is be prepared to unpack & check a bigger carry-on (around 20") when going through the port check-in. If it doesn't happen, great, if it does, we're prepared. :)

2. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

Linda :lol :lol like that idea :thumb

Laurie :wave

3. Good point ginny, our cruise will be a 7-day Southern Caribbean Cruise aboard the Adventure of the Seas leaving out of San Juan in late August. If crowds seem to be a variable in determining what bags may be carried on, I doubt we'll have to deal with that as we are arriving a day early and plan on getting to the port by 11:00, or 12:00 the latest. (Our bags are regulated as carry-ons per the standards of Continental Airlines, fit through airport checkpoints and easily fit into the overhead compartments. We will probably stick with the rectangular, wheel suitcase, a medium-sized duffle bag, and possibly, but unlikely, a third suitcase similar to the first one mentioned) - I think that covers the specifics...hope we don't get stalked, lol. Anything else?

About the dining room, we are not avoiding the dining room because we want to save suitcase space or because we are slobs who refuse to dress appropriately, we just feel that the atmosphere of the dining room we have heard about is not to our preference. We dress well and appropriately when we need to, but are much more comfortable in informal clothes. We will probably look into going there on one of the informal nights and if we like it we will probably add casual wear to our packing list for future cruises.

Another "drawback," as we see it, is the seemingly lack of privacy at the tables. While many of you enjoy having tablemates, we would prefer to have a table for four all to ourselves. That is just us though, we prefer a more intimate family setting for dinner over a feast with fellow cruisers as well as the simpler things rather than the seemingly "extravagency" (using that term loosely) of the dining room. (Sorry about my defensiveness with that disclaimer there, I guess it is a thing I picked up off of my days at Cruise Critic...if you said anything anti-dining room/formal nights they would denounce you as a peasant/red neck/hobo/trailer trash :roll.

Hmmm...I hope I didn't turn this into a heated dining room/formal night debate...please don't perculate a discussion like this in this thread. Thank you.

4. ljeanbrown

ljeanbrown Guest

You can get a table for 4 if you ask the head waiter really nice.

Laurie :wave

5. Kar06

Kar06 Guest

My problems packing are not with clothes, but with shoes! I have so many cool fancier shoes that I hardly ever get to wear anywhere, so I always want to bring all of them on the cruise with me!!! I am already trying to figure out what I'll do on the Serenade in November!!!

6. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Skip - If you arrive at 11:00 for the AOS to check-in, you'll be one of the first in line but they won't let you even get into the building until noon.

If you arrive at noon, you'll be about 300 (or more) people back in line. And you don't think it'll be crowded? Boy, oh boy. I've never seen such a crowded, miserable time waiting to check in at a pier before.

At least RCI is trying to make it a little more bearable by having the infamous "white chairs" inside the building, but once you sit in those chairs, you're only there for a few minutes. It's the wait outside the building that is miserable!

If I were you, I'd do what Ali has mastered - get there in the late afternoon. Ali - is it 4pm that's best? I'm always anxious to be one of the first onboard but in the case of the AOS, no way, never again. I'll wait and go when the line isn't miles long!

7. Ali

Ali Guest

OMG, that line is horrible. This last time Kort and I arrived around 1:30pm and when the taxi pulled up in front I was not surprised. The line was horrendous. Luckily someone I knew from the ship was on their way outside and saw us. They pulled us to the side and through a back way in to the "white chairs." I started out being in the second row of chairs and it still took 40 minutes of sitting there to make our way into the reps. I have no idea what the problem was but it was taking forever. The line for the Priority Check-in was backed up too but it was still faster than what the others were having to endure. People outside were waiting almost 90 minutes to just get inside to the white chairs.

I came back outside around 4pm to get some pop for the cabin from the liquor store in the terminal and the line was nil. There were a lot of people checking in but there was no line at all.

I normally fly in a day prior and will stay at the hotel later but that time I flew in on Sunday that was the only reason for getting there early. As Bobbie said, I normally won't check in until late in the afternoon.

They are building another pier next to the Pan American one. I was told it was going to house the Serenade and the Jewel. They are also going to use it for embarkation days on the Adventure. Maybe twice the amount of space to load the passengers on the Adventure will keep everyone out of that hot sun.

Also on the Sunday that was the turn around day for the back to back the new passengers didn't start coming onboard until almost 1pm..if that's any help in your decision.

8. Lady Jag - Hmmm...I guess it will be crowded at 12. Although, I wouldn't know. This will be our first cruise. So I guess the question now is 11-ish or 4-ish? Our hotel will probably kick us out...er...ask us to check out before 11. If we decide on 4-ish, what would we do until then?

In advance, thanks.

9. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Skip - You're right. It's either 11 AM or 4 PM. It's all up to you as to what you want to do.

If you don't mind standing in oppressive, humid heat and watching people take cuts in front of you for an hour, go at 11 AM. If there is one Puerto Rican in front of you, you had better count on 20 more joining them just before the door opens. (sorry!)

We've done the 11 AM before, I wouldn't do it again. Ali has more experience than anyone I know at this port and with this ship. Next time, I'll go when she does, at 4ish.

If you have to check out at 11 AM, go have a leisurely lunch and then take a taxi (or walk) the short distance to El Morro for a tour. Or, have one of those tour companies pick you up at your hotel and take you up to El Yunque (sp?) for a tour. They could return you right to the pier. ?????

Good luck with whichever way you choose! You'll have a great cruise and the lines at the beginning will be forgotten. :)

10. Ali

Ali Guest

Bobbie you are such a hoot! There is no way in hell I would go before 4, especially staying the day prior in San Juan. As far as staying at the hotel later than the check out time, ask the front desk upon arrival. They have always accomodated me in that way. I usually don't leave the room until 3pm and by the time I get out of the hotel and in a cab, it's almost 4 when arriving at the port.

11. Yea, I think we'll probably ask for a later check out and go at 4. Hopefully they will accomadate our needs and let us check out at 3-ish.

12. Sara Lee

Sara Lee Guest

Skip and Sauce

If you want a table by yourself , all you have to do the first night is ACT OBNOXIOUS
    and remember the Blues Brothers movie , where they went into that fancy resturant
    and

starting talking loud about the other customers.... HA HA HA HA

and then of course your other table mates will go to the waiter , and ask for another table and you WILL BE ALONE
    and then most tables are not more than 6 people and you can ask for a small table

We are not crazy about always eating with others also , but we found that on one cruise , the table mates didnt like the other two and they asked for another table and we were not crazy about them either

but each night , there they were .. The man was really mean to his wife and abusive and said things to her that were down right things I would have LEFT THE MAN
    but it was weird ... experiences is all I can call it ..

Every night me and my husband would go . I CANT BELIEVE HE SAID THAT TO HER
    and I SAID YOU WOULD NEVER SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO ME

He would say things lIKE excuse my wife , she is sorta wierd and the wife would look at him like .. WHAT ???
    and then they would talk about HOW MUCH THEY DID FOR EACH OTHER like SURPRIZE EACH OTHER WITH GIFTS for wedding anniversarys etc
    adn the ROCK on her hand ..

WEll you know maybe that is why she stayed.. Id rather be in a motel 6 alone than with someone like that

anyway , whatever you decide to do HAVE FUN

13. p.g.

p.g. Guest

I think how much luggage a person needs is a very individual thing. I did Europe(land based) for 3 weeks with only a rolling carry on( and a BIG purse) I brought a nice dress( dinner in Paris) and some dressy sandals plus a few summer skirts and shirts. I brought one swimsuit, walking shoes( wore them) and some shorts and t's. I got by very nicely and didn't have laundry facilities( except the bathroom sink) I have cruised with the same amount and still looked decent for formal night( this is harder for a man who must bring a suit) The need to change 3 or 4 times a day is a personal thing, since I don't mind wearing the same outfit twice in one day ( as in before the pool and after the pool) I think you could just bring carry on. It really depends on how much stuff you like to lug to the airport, and we are very lazy(lol) so the less the better for us.

14. P.G. - That's what we were thinking although everyone talks about taking so much stuff, we don't see the need to. We too are okay with wearing the same thing twice in one day. We will go with our normal packing ways.

Everyone - Thank you for the great (and plentiful) responses. You've been a great help. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to post them on Cruise Addicts.

15. One more thing...

We have decided to settle on airline standard carry-ons. Someone above mentioned the possibility that the ship may make us check those in. What can I expect to happen if they do request we check in our "carry-ons"? I have read people who mention "colored tape" and "check in" in the same posts. How do those things pertain to each other?

16. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

That was me, Skip. If they insist that you check in your carry-ons at embarkation, then hopefully, you won't need anything in them for a few hours until they arrive in your cabin.

Use colored tape on the suitcases so that you can find them easily when picking up your suitcases at the end of your cruise. You set your suitcases out in the hall before midnight on the last night. Early the next morning, they are inspected by Customs and put all together in a large area (think Sea of Luggage and you'll understand). There are literally thousands of bags. If you use the colored, neon tape somewhere on your bags, you'll find them in minutes. If not, it'll take quite a long time.

Hope that clears things up for you! :)

17. Oh, that sounds "fun". Will they have the bags in specific sections at least? Perhaps, grouped off by deck? Are there any specific places I should put the tape for easier recognition, like the handle or side?

In advance, thanks!

18. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

If I remember correctly, it's grouped by deck. Put the tape on the top & side of the handle or wherever you think it'd work the best. They usually stand the bags upright.

It's not too bad if you "get the lead out". It usually only takes the 4 of us a few minutes. We all split up and have a system. They (DH & 2 sons) find the bags and bring them to me. I'm usually in an out-of-the-way spot keeping all of them together and telling them which ones are missing. Within minutes, we're done and out the door while others are still drifting around looking lost. Kinda like those people that can't remember where they've parked their car at the mall..... :grin :grin

19. DJP

DJP Guest

Yes, the many suitcases are about dinner clothes. However, I agree that you shouldn't miss the dining room cuisine because of clothes....the buffet gets pretty boring after a week just having it for breakfast and lunch, so I wouldn't want to do it for dinner, too. Friends of ours absolutely did not want to dress up for dinner and for the formal nights, they just came right to the table and sat down....dockers and all. Lobster tastes the same if you are wearing dockers or a tuxedo:)

20. Jasmine

Jasmine Guest

I have asked for a table for 3 through my travel agent and have gotten my request the 4 times I have asked.