Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Are you allowed to sneak a travel iron on?

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by oceanmarina, Jun 4, 2004.

1. maria

maria Guest

Downey wrinkle releaser and a steamer are always packed in my suitcase.

2. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

It's a case of, Are the rules for everyone or just those that choose to follow them? If you don't like the rule, just break it. But be sure to moan and groan about others who break some other rule that you think should be enforced.

I seriously doubt that anyone who ever started a fire using an iron intented to do so. For those who think it is okay to do as they wish and ignore the rules...... (fill in the blank as you wish).

3. sweet sheep

sweet sheep Guest

They have these rules for a very good reason. If you have ever been on a ship when a fire broke out you would think very hard about it. Nobody has the right to endanger other people because they want to do their thing and who cares about anyone else. I don't care how careful you are-follow the rules and have a good time.

4. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

May you bring an iron on board? Maybe. May you use it in your stateroom? Probably not. See below for specifics from several cruise lines.

Royal Caribbean:
    <http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/onboardExtrasFaq.do;jsessionid=0000PR8dHVcDPu8nmIy4O3y883j:v2mocajr#0>
    We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

Holland America:
    <http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=stateroomFurnishings>
    For safety reasons, we respectfully request that you do not iron clothing in your stateroom.

Disney Cruise Line:
    <http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/disneycruiseline/faq/faqgroupingindex?id=BeforeYouLeaveFAQGrping#BeforeYouLeaveWhatShouldIPackFAQ>
    For safety reasons, irons or steamers may be used in the laundry room only.

Carnival:
    <http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx>
    Due to "Safety Precautions", the following items are not permitted onboard:
    Irons
    Heating Pads
    Candles

5. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Is their a laundry/iron room on the Monarch? Should I bring my brand spankin' new travel steam iron for use in it? or do they have irons already?

If they don't have one, I'll return it (sigh) and try to find a clothes steamer around here. And pack my clothes in zip lock baggies... or let the ship services take care of it.

6. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

If you think irons are dangerous, try curling irons. They're ten times more common on ships and A LOT more dangerous. Then there's flat irons, (translation for men: kinda like a curling iron but it makes a woman's hair straight), and hot curlers, etc. The list goes on and on. Irons aren't the only risky electrical appliance, so don't bash those that bring irons!

7. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

p.s. - Globug - The Monarch of the Seas doesn't have any laundry facilities at all and no irons either - same as all RCI ships unfortunately. :(

8. GloBug

GloBug Guest

DARN! Well, I guess I'll be returning the travel iron today... one more thing I WON'T have to worry about! LOL!

9. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Comments pertain to people who think the rules are not applicable to them if they are not in agreement with them.

The people who ignore rules and do as they please despite any risk to others.

10. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Glo, the Downy Wrinkle Release works great!

Lady Jag, I agree with you on curling irons and flat irons. I was actually late for work the other day as I waited until my flat iron cooled down before leaving the house... even though it was turned off and unplugged. Didn't want to take any chances. I think the difference, though, is that pax use curling irons, etc. at the desk or in the bathroom, while a lot of ironing is done on the beds. =dunno

By the way, when scanning sites this morning, I found nothing on Princess' or NCL's sites pertaining to irons. (I forgot to check Celebrity.) I also know that ironing boards are available in the staterooms on Norwegian Majesty (they fold up into a desk drawer -- pretty neat).

11. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Lisa63, I do have a couple of cans of the spray wrinkle releaser, and I use it at home all the time. Yup, Ill pack it! I can't believe I didn't think to bring it earlier!

12. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

I've taken my iron on every cruise I've been on also and they've never said a thing. I usually carry it on, though....not because I thought it would be confiscated (I didn't even know they weren't allowed until just a few months ago when I read it on this site) but becase I usually take my clothes for dinner the first night in my carry on also and they get wrinkled!

We take a clothes steamer for delicates too! Oh, and we bring Downy Wrinkle Releaser just to be safe....I despise wrinkled clothing! :)

13. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

:lol Sounds familiar, Lizardstew! I hear ya! :lol