Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

As the crow flies......

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Cruise Cynic, May 3, 2001.

1. Cruise Cynic

Cruise Cynic Guest

We usually refer to "as the crow flies" to mean the straight-line distance between two geographic points.
    However. if a crow flies at sea, then the distance travelled varies according to altitude. A crow flying at sea level, aside from being a wet crow, would cover less distance than a crow flying at 5000 feet. This is due to the curvature of the earth's surface. Now, if we were to take into account wind resistance, gravitational stresses and fluctuations in temperature....... Are we always assuming a well-fed crow, or is there a lethargy factor? Plus a female crow would stop to ask for directions, male crows merely blunder on... Besides, what would be the likelyhood of an errant (read clumsy) crow actually impacting a ship's crow's nest? Irony or kismet? Do crows always fly directly from point to point, or do distractions, like a "really cute opposite-sex crow encounter" affect the scenario? Crows do have to reproduce, you know.... Also, If you were to put a crow into geo-syncronous orbit, would he require extensive psychotherapy afterward? Just what exactly would the newly-coined expression "as the crow orbits" mean? I'm merely curious.

Note: No crows were hurt in the formulation of this model.

2. Olga

Olga Guest

Gee, CC, are those words all yours? That is "food for thought" or "eating crow" or never mind...

3. glo-ree-bee

glo-ree-bee Guest

CC,

What a delightful piece on "as the crow flies"
    You DO have a way with words! Brought my first smile of the day.

4. andrea

andrea Guest

Cruise Cynic,

I am cracking up! Thanks for putting a great twist on my trivia question!! :)

andrea

5. cruzship

cruzship Guest

Do we have a little too much time on our hands?? :)

6. April

April Guest

Not to many crows flying in my neighborhood-- their all perched in my next door neighbors tall trees making lots of noise.
    Enjoyed your answer CC thanks
    April