Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

AT&T Cell Phone Coverage at Sea

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by ShipMaven, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Princess Cruises has now been added to AT&T Wireless' list of cruise lines:

Acciona Trasmediterranea Cruises
    Aida Cruises
    Azamara Cruises
    Brittany Ferries
    Carnival Cruise Line
    Caronte & Tourist Cruises
    Celebration Cruise Line
    Celebrity Cruise Line
    Color Line Cruises
    Crystal Cruises
    CTN Tunisia Ferries
    Cunard Line Cruises
    DFDS A/S Cruises
    DFDS LISCO Cruises
    Disney Cruise Line
    ENTMV Algerie Ferries
    Fjordline Cruises
    Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines
    Grimaldi Lines Cruises
    Hanza Cruises
    HKS - Bremen Cruises
    Holland America Cruise Line
    Hurtigruten Group Cruises
    Institute for Shipboard Education
    Irish Ferries
    Japan Grace Cruise Line
    LD Lines Ferries
    Louis Cruise Line
    Mano Maritime Cruises
    Norfolkline Cruises
    Norwegian Cruise Line
    Ocean Villiage Cruises
    Oceania Cruises
    P&O Cruises
    P&O Cruises Australia
    P&O Ferries
    Paul Gauguin Cruises
    Phoenix Reisen Cruises
    Polferries
    Princess Cruises
    Pullmantur Cruises
    Quail Cruises
    Regent Seven Seas Cruises
    Royal Caribbean International
    Silversea Cruises
    Smyril Line Cruises
    Stena Line Cruises
    TTT Lines Cruises
    TUI Cruise Line
    TUI UK Cruises
    Visemar Di Navigazione
    Voyages of Discovery
    Windstar Cruises
    Yachts of Seabourn

2. Charles

Charles Captain Weather

Does that mean that while I'm in the middle of the Caribbean, or the Atlantic, and not near land, I can make calls on my ATT cell phone? (through the ships' satellite)

c

3. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the up date

4. ShipMaven

Yes it does. I've used my AT&T cell phone transatlantic, transpacific to (and in) HongKong, Caribbean, Panama Canal, European cruises - and I telephoned Judi one year during the Atlantic City meet when I was off of Nuuk Greenland on Crystal Symphony.

5. Mbandy

Mbandy Well-Known Member

I checked on this before going on my recent cruise.:scratch:

The ATT rep I spoke with said as long as "ATT" displayed in the main phone menu, it would be the same as calling from home. I saw this in San Juan and St Thomas. If "ATT" was not displayed or another carrier was displayed (tower on the ship) then roaming charges will apply.

6. ShipMaven

That's correct, Michael. But you still have cell phone usage. Up until very recently, there was no cell phone usage (by whatever means) at sea aboard Princess. You had to be close to shore to pick up any signal.

7. sage

sage Well-Known Member

Thanks Mary Ann. I love being able to call home to check on my furbabies when I'm away. Now it looks like almost every cruise line will be there for my AT&T phone.

8. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Ok - so if I understand this correctly:

I have my AT&T phone. I'm at sea on the Grand P. I turn the phone on, the screen reads AT&T...I call my son :smile: who is on my AT&T plan, so it is basically a Mobile to Mobile AT&T call, and no other charges apply?

I've used my phone on St. Thomas and St. John USVI many a time, and it does read AT&T. So I was going to call once we ported on STT, but if I can call while on the ship and say hi, well, that is a good thing.

9. ShipMaven

You're welcome, Bev.

I have my AT&T phone. I'm at sea on the Grand P. I turn the phone on, the screen reads AT&T...I call my son :smile: who is on my AT&T plan, so it is basically a Mobile to Mobile AT&T call, and no other charges apply?

No - that is not correct.

Will I be billed for roaming charges while I am on a cruise?

Question:
    Will I be billed for roaming charges while I am on a cruise? Am I billed for roaming when on a cruise and my phone says AT&T? What are the roaming charges while on a cruise? Can I make calls from my AT&T wireless phone while on a cruise? What are Maritime Roaming Service Charges? Answer:
    Wireless Maritime Services, an AT&T joint venture, provides GSM voice and GPRS data roaming services on select cruise ships. AT&T wireless services customers can use their AT&T wireless phone (with compatible frequency) to access this roaming network while on board a cruise ship that provides this service. For a list of participating cruise ships, select the Cruise Ships link on our Wireless Travel Guide tool.

This capability is automatically available to all AT&T wireless services customers. You do not need an International roaming feature on your account to roam from a cruise ship; however, International roaming rates do apply.

When using the cruise ship network, the International roaming voice rate is $2.49 per minute. Data usage is billed at the standard pay-per-use rate (approximately $20.00 per MB).

Keep in mind that:
    • The cruise ship network is turned on once the ship is at sea. Generally, the cruise ship network is shut down when the ship is within twelve miles of land. The network is turned back on once the network is no longer near the coordinates of a port.
    • While roaming on the cruise ship, your device will display one of the following: "AT&T," "901-18," "Cellular at Sea," or "NOR-18."
    • None of the discounted International roaming voice plans apply while on a cruise ship.
    • The only discounted International data plan that applies on cruise ships is the Business Data Global Unlimited plan.
    • Domestic voice rates apply while aboard a cruise ship only when it is docked or tendered at a U.S. port.
    • Voice usage while aboard a cruise ship when it is docked or tendered at a foreign port is billed at the International roaming rate for that country.
    Here's the link... Answer Center | AT&T

10. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Thanks, Shipmaven. I went into my Plan and saw that I have Expanded International Roaming with no ROAMING charge to me, but the calls are charged at a per use rate. Between that, and what you've posted...Son is not getting a call until we reach STT. :biggrin:

11. reggae

reggae Well-Known Member

If you have the iPhone...

1. Make sure to turn off the Data Roaming feature while on the cruise.

2. Call ATT and add International to your plan (less than $10), then you can send and receive texts for 50 cents each. (cheapest way to go)

12. Alan

Alan Active Member

It's bad enough to sit at home in resturants,movies,ballgames,and other functions and listen to people talk louder and louder to anyone who'll listen. Now we'll get to hear it at sea on our cruises. I know a few think this is a good thing, but if you want to talk on your phone stay in you rooms. Ha!

13. ShipMaven

Patty - exactly. Great info.

Alan - let me assure you that some of us have good manners and don't need a reminder. Some of us who are actively in business continue to take care of our Clients even though we're away from our office. I do agree that there are a few who obnoxiously forget they're disturbing others if they're not mindful when using cell phones.

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

hear hear M...

some of us HAVE to be on call...24/7....but with manners in mind

15. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing the number of people who talk on their cell phones out in public and use their At Home talking voice? Like I really care to hear their conversations! Bad, bad manners! :hammer: