• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Auto gratuities on Carnival and other cruise lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boat boy

MILWAUKEE CO MENTAL HEALTH COMPLEX OUT PATIENT
I have to say that this has been a very enjoyable thread to read !
I have no problem with the auto gratuity policy.
If an employee doesn't like the wages paid, they can quit.
If a passenger doesn't like the ships policies, they can cruise a different line.

If the cruise lines had to pay US minimum wage, the number of passengers would greatly diminish and many cruise lines would vanish along with the employees.

I've been told that cruise line jobs are "Coveted" by the foreign workers and there are many applicants for every job opening.

If so, why would a cruise line increase wages?

holfam

Sorry Calgon1 but you completely missed the point of my complaint and your argument makes no sense. I'm not insinuating I would tip 25% on the Carnival bill (although they would love that), and you know that!

With 2 small kids this is an additional $280, not $140. On top of what I already tipped to the people who really deserved it. $280 that goes to the cruise line to decide what to do with it. If 10% of that gets to staff I would be surprised. I am looking out for the staff not the cruise line (as you seam to be... do you work for them ?).

When was the last time you tipped the Walmart greeter, the front desk person at a hotel or the person that cleaned the room when you were out. Why are cruise ships different. Our steward made an impact and he deserved a tip, but it definitely would not be automatic.

Your little insult about only booking 'bargain basement' cruises and relating it back to the percentage I would tip a waiter to the cost of a cruise... You make no sense and insult everyone that has cruises a low cost line. Maybe you should have go back to sitting on your hands.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Coming off MY hands for a minute...

The more you write, the more it would appear you were never prepared properly for what your expenses might be and you never sat down before the cruise to do a general budget.

I would guess you are rather new to cruising?

Sorry Calgon1 but you completely missed the point of my complaint and your argument makes no sense. I'm not insinuating I would tip 25% on the Carnival bill (although they would love that), and you know that!

With 2 small kids this is an additional $280, not $140. On top of what I already tipped to the people who really deserved it. $280 that goes to the cruise line to decide what to do with it. If 10% of that gets to staff I would be surprised. I am looking out for the staff not the cruise line (as you seam to be... do you work for them ?).

When was the last time you tipped the Walmart greeter, the front desk person at a hotel or the person that cleaned the room when you were out. Why are cruise ships different. Our steward made an impact and he deserved a tip, but it definitely would not be automatic.

Your little insult about only booking 'bargain basement' cruises and relating it back to the percentage I would tip a waiter to the cost of a cruise... You make no sense and insult everyone that has cruises a low cost line. Maybe you should have go back to sitting on your hands.

Whimsy

I spent many years bartending and waiting tables. There is no way I would ever remove the auto tip unless the service was absolutely horrible. These people work hard to make sure you have a nice vacation. We also tip more to those who go above what I feel is customary service. I actually like that I don't have to print out a guide to know that the recommended amounts are XX for the waiter, XX for the assistant waiter, XX for the cabin steward, etc. All I need to do is give an envelope with extra to those who did a really fine job and leave the tips in place. I leave with a good karma feeling and find that everywhere I go there I am. People treat me the way I treat people. 99% of the time I am well treated. Hey, everyone can have an off day. I had them myself so I usually cut the servvers some slack.

I actually know a couple that brags about how they find this and that wrong to get tips removed, fees reduced, etc. How they live with themselves is beyond me. Why the cruise lines keep accepting them as passengers is beyond my comprehension as well. I would think that if the wheel keeps squeaking you would eventually replace it instead of just keeping it oiled.

My DD now serves in a large restaurant and keeps me rolling with stories about how the public tries to sham to get free meals, not tipping etc. Believe me, ALL these service industries know a legitimate complaint from someone who is just being a cheapskate.

Calgon1

Awaiting results of mental evaluation
OK –

“If 10% of that gets to staff I would be surprised. I am looking out for the staff not the cruise line (as you seam to be... do you work for them ?).â€
1) I’m glad you’re looking out for the staff. I only wish more people were. If you honestly feel that the management of the cruise lines is cheating the staff out of 90%, or more, of what is collected as tips, gratuities or service charges; then perhaps you should initiate legal action to seek a remedy. Otherwise, all you’re doing is talking the talk, but not walking the walk. And, as they say … talk is cheap.

2) No. I don’t work for a cruise line.

“When was the last time you tipped the Walmart greeter, the front desk person at a hotel or the person that cleaned the room when you were out.â€
1) You make a good point. To the best of my knowledge, I have never tipped a Wal-Mart greeter, other than a sincere, “Thank you.†I have tipped the housekeeping staff at hotels. They work hard and when they do a good job, I express my gratitude both verbally and financially.

2) On the other hand, when they screw up, I let management know. And, I am specific in identification of the individual and the complaint.

“Our steward made an impact and he deserved a tip, but it definitely would not be automatic.â€
1) Great. I’m glad you had a good steward. One’s steward and the waiter are the two staffers who usually make the greatest impact on the quality of one’s vacation.

2) The point you are appearing to miss is that, while the service charges are automatically added to your shipboard account, they are not locked in. Both cruise lines are very clear in their policies, both in the “contract somewhere†and in their FAQs.

a. Norwegian Cruise Lines – “Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

b. Carnival Cruise Lines – “Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.â€

“I already tipped to the people who really deserved it.â€
1) Then sir, why in the heck didn’t you dispute or request a reduction in the automatic charges?

2) Oh, that’s right … you plead ignorance.

“If I had known (or remembered) this, then I would not given my 2 waiters in the restaurant $60 each or the Spa Staff $40 each or left money in the room... never mind the rest.â€
1) Again, all cruise lines make it very clear (in their brochures, websites and the contracts) that gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

2) Every cruise oriented chat room, bulletin board, forum, etc. has repeatedly addressed the issue of tipping cruise staff. Indeed it is one of the three top topics/issues on the net.

3) If you failed to either research, or remember, is that the fault of the cruise lines?

4) I think not.

In closing,

“You make no sense and insult everyone that has cruises a low cost line.â€
1) No sir, I do not insult “everyoneâ€.

a. Many fine people cruise Norwegian and Carnival. Myself included.

b. Perhaps, if there is any insult, it is those who's experience is limited to the lower cost lines and then whine because they feel they paid too much.

2) Personally, I would prefer to return to the old policy of "No tipping allowed." Many of us still tipped anyway, and often more than we do now that it's "automatic".

bob

Community Manager
Staff member
This thread was Moderator closed by the forum Moderator, it has reached the point of going in circles with no real new valid input. We thank everybody for their input to this point and one can be assured that the topic will return, it always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.