Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

<B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by John, May 11, 2002.

1. John

John Guest

Hello,
    Would everyone like more topic driven message boards? This might include a message board for Carnival, RCI, Princess, Disney Cruises, HAL and a few other focused topics. This has been discussed before but, I wanted to see what many thought.

Many users like our present setup but, I also have noticed users going to other message boards on the net to use thier topic driven sections. I'm thinking we may be able to offer these focused topics and also maintain what we have already established as a community.

Please keep in mind the topics would be LIMITED to a few new ones that appear to be popular. These would be speciality topics that other users and some here may find appealing. (IE Hal , Disney, etc)

If this were to be done, it would be on a test basis. As with anything no one likes change, so please consider this with an open mind. I'll look forward to your reply.

2. Dawn

Dawn Guest

Re: <B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

This [current set up] is kind of nice....seeing different topics without having to go anywhere specific.

But if I could change anything, it would be to move ALL the off topics to their own special place. Sometimes I notice OT's 3/4 of an entire page. When I see that, I just log off this site and do the other stuff I need to do on the net.

So, a separate place for OT's would be my suggestion. I haven't read an OT for nearly 2 years. Just MHO. That is not what I come here for. I know this is a "family" type BB, but it still is for cruising. So, I'm not saying that don't have a home here, just would like to see them separated out from the folks asking the cruising questions.

Dawn

3. cruzqueen

cruzqueen Guest

Re: Do you want more topic message boards?

John,

I appreciate that you are responsive to our wishes/needs for fellowship and information.

The topic driven boards do have some benefits, and I do frequent one of them. I'd like to just stay home at C@ - and it would be great to see them here! I'd like our community board continue and add topic boards for the major cruise lines and I'd also like to see topic boards for ports ie Caribbean (Western, Eastern, Southern), Mediterranean, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii, etc.

4. rogerpl

rogerpl Guest

Re: Do you want more topic message boards?

I would be afraid there would be less activity on this board. People just checking their next cruise line and not participating on the main board. I check other sites just for any news on my upcoming cruise on Galaxy and come back here. Just a thought.

5. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

I believe we all enjoy the present format and the comfortable atmosphere of friendliness that prevails here.

Having said that, growth is good. The addition of a few well chosen, topic-driven boards would be a big plus on Cruise @addicts, IMHO. Perhaps a board for each of the major cruise lines and a general ports-of-call board to start? It would also be useful for active threads to "float" to the top so they are easier to find (just personal preference). I would keep the three current boards and add the others.

Hope this helps.

6. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

Another thought... with the addition of some topic-driven boards, perhaps Cruise @ddicts would attract even more users to our family. I don't think that growth would diminish the activity on the current Community board--most of us will still make it our first web click of the day :)

7. PEB

PEB Guest

I enjoy the board the way it is however specific topic sections are nice if you do not have the time to do a search for a specific question or topic. Either way I will still be here.

8. Re: <B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

I am tired of all the OT's on this message board, I come here to learn and find information about cruises, not to find out birthdays.If you meet someone and want to talk get their e-mail address and talk that way, and keep this board open for cruises. This is my opinion John. Thanks Johnna

9. Frank

Frank Guest

I too prefer some additional topic driven sections. More than once I have to go to another board like CruiseMates to get specific information on a cruise line. Maybe limit them to just the major cruise lines that 95% of posters use. BTW... I too do not like all the OT posts. Remember I was politely flamed a few months ago when I suggested it. Maybe you just need to also add some sort of OT area where people can show pictures of their pets, and just basically chat.

10. rogerpl

rogerpl Guest

OT messages have always been a source discussion on a lot of cruise boards for the 4 or 5 years I've been monitoring them. This site makes no bones about what it is- a community of cruise addicts who get involved in the lives of people few have met with the common link being a love of cruising. It is not likely to change and few want it to.
    This board will always answer your questions and the rest of the time just shot the breeze (preferably ocean breezes).

11. John

John Guest

Hello,
    I wanted to explain about the OT posts. As many of you know the OT posts are a major part of our community and since this is our 'Community Message Board' these OFF TOPIC are an important and acceptable part of it. This is why we have added our 'Know Before You Go' forum which is a 'NO FRILLS' all ON TOPIC and a focused question and answer section. User who do not like OT posts are the exact type of user that I feel would really enjoy the new focused message boards for some of the major cruise lines and other focused topics like ports of call.

CruiseDiva, thank you for the great suggestions I think you have hit the nail on the head for what would possibly work here.

I think many of our community members who know what were all about and enjoy our community message board will keep on returning while other users seek out TOPIC only message boards due to time restraints and needs.

Thank you all for the current feedback and please keep the replies coming. This is a great discussion.

12. CC

CC Guest

John, I think staying with this general format is good with one exception, separate the OT off onto it's own heading. To get to a specific discussion about a cruiseline the search feature could be used. For those of us who are unsure of our next cruise, you would dilute the strength of this board by making too many categories. Also, too many comments and questions seem to end up in the wrong category anyway.

CC

13. Toto

Toto Guest

Thank you John, I was just going to jump in here.
    The "Know Before You Go" Board is a great place for cruisers who just want specifics that are cruise related and nothing else. Correct me if I am wrong here John, but I think that was put into effect for those that really didn't want to join the 'family atmosphere' that we have here but only wanted the facts related to their cruises, and to answer others questions. It bypasses the OT's and personal items that we have on the Community Board and therefore the reader does not have to get persoanlly involved with the 'family' if they aren't inclined to. Although we enjoy and WELCOME all new 'family' members here.
    As for the other related boards. I think that would be wonderful. It would be an easy way for posters to access just their cruise line and get specific answers they are interested in for that particular cruise line. I also feel that it would bring more cruisers and posters to this site. And as Linda stated, a site for just information on ports of call would also be a plus! Just my opinion here. :)

14. LjeanBrown

LjeanBrown Guest

I agree with Toto :wave

Laurie :wave

15. Cricket

Cricket Guest

One of the main reasons why your website is such a hit, is because of the very way you have allowed our "family" to give important information about cruising and, also to be more personal than other boards. The suggestion about having another section just for ports of call and possibly different sections for major cruise lines, would certainly be a plus, but it would not benefit the members of this board to change it drastically like some have suggested. Some of these people who have suggested to change the board drastically , apparently are not interested in the "family" part of this board, but that is the very core of its popularity. Why change a good thing? If you did that, it would just be another "board". I can't think of ANY other board as wonderful as this one, and IMHO, it would be an awful mistake to change the board in a major way.

16. TexasSue

TexasSue Guest

I agree with Toto and Laurie - don't change the community board. Even tho I don't post much I read the board at least morning and night and would be lost without it. I love keeping up with all the family here.

17. suec

suec Guest

I also agree with Toto. Being a newbie to posting(only a couple of times),I feel this board
    is unique. The "OT" posts are what make this site fun, interesting and a real community..IMO.

18. ginny

ginny Guest

I really appreciate the way this website is set up now, separating the know before you go from the community board. My method of research involves many different ways of finding the information I'm looking for including this board, know before you go, reviews, and to be quite honest the ports of call section on cruise critic. I never post over there but do use that section when researching ports along with the websites of those cities/countries that i'm looking for information on. It would be nice to have a ports of call section here but I would still probably continue to do all of the above anyway as the more I can find out, the happier I am when it is time to make those final decisions on where to go and what to do when I'm travelling. It's really nice that you involve us in your decision making I appreciate that, THANKS!

19. Kathy  Atkins

Kathy Atkins Guest

Ditto with Toto on this one! Was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to word my response without controversy, but Toto did it for me! Thank's John and Toto! :thumb

20. Re: <B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

I like the format of this board. Everything is right in front of you and I have the choice to read or not to read a paticular topic. (O/T). Also I don't have to go from cruise line to cruise line to look for information on different topics other than certain ships and who is sailing when...a roll call. They way the this board is set up, I have just 2 places to check ,here and Know before you go for info. The one nice thing about the communtiy board as it is just that...a community. IMO that is what makes this place special over the other cruise web sights. The search feature is not that difficult to use.