Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

<B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by John, May 11, 2002.

1. Natalia

Natalia Guest

Re: <B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

Ok, I haven't read all the posts above, so if I am only repeating whats been said, apologies. I love this board, I do not visit any others regularly. Reason being, most are too complicated to maneuver. I like the community bulletin board, but agree that it might help to have a seperate place for OT posts. I like the Know Before You Go area too, but when I was new here I didnt realize exactly what these topic titles meant. Maybe renaming them to something like "Cruise Q&A Here" and "Community BB and OT" with a brief explaination under each title. (Strictly cruise related Questions & Answers, and Our community Bulletin Board including Off Topics). I guess some other topics might be ok, such as for indvidual cruise lines, etc... My only suggestion would be to please dont make it too complicated. I think we all like it simple lol. But it would offer those who are just logged in for a brief moment to gain a specific answer to something a qicker path.

2. Hooked

Hooked Guest

To put it simply I agree with Scott and Jeff. I think you guys got a good thing goimg here..

3. hstrybuf

hstrybuf Guest

Add another vote for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

And again, if you don't like the OT, don't read it!!!!!!

Debbie

4. KimA

KimA Guest

I'm still not certain what the problem is.........messages marked with and OT can either be opened or ignored....seems pretty simple to me......or am I just not getting the point?
    As far as other topic driven message boards, it would be nice to see a few of the major lines, yet keeping the board mainly as it is. ( by the way, I, in fact have learned much about cruising from this forum, despite what some say are disruptions by the OT's)

5. Sgrane

Sgrane Guest

Can I vote again!?

Ditto Jeff, Hooked, Barb, Hstrybuf and all the other "ignore the OT" / "Not broke don't fix it" posters!

6. annette

annette Guest

Place my vote for leaving the community board as is. I have learned a great deal about cruising and other travel related subjects ( sunblocks, sea critters to be aware of, drink recipes, weather forecasts, beautiful pictures from places I hope to visit some day). By mixing them all together we have a buffet of topics ( we love buffets!!) and depending on how much time I have I can pick and choose how much I want to read and post. That being said, I think the changing of the order of topic boards would be helpful to new visitors. I love Gayle V's idea of a reverse search...if that is possible. Or how about an OT filter??

Thanks for asking for our imput. That is EXACTLY what makes this board different.

7. Sgrane

Sgrane Guest

John! A filter is a great idea...how about the same board...as it is...open as a default the way it always does...but with with navigation button below, you could see OT posts, or On topic posts...or posts by a particular poster...etc. Might entail some serious work including a button of OT or On topic...but it would give the general user options without changing the current format. If you like it as is...ignore the filtering buttons.

8. John

John Guest

Hello,
    Thank you for the kind input. Please remember that I never intended to change the format or anything about the 'Community Message Board'. Off Topic posts are an important part of our community. My original question was how everyone felt about adding some more focused topic discussions. It seems that some would like to see it and many others worry it might dilute our present forums. Its very possibly this could occur. I agree that the SEARCH feature is easy to use and offers a wealth of information. The benefit of the focused forums would be that we could keep an active topic on the forefront.

This is all a good debate thank you for helping me think 'aloud' of sorts and your input. Please be assurd were not trying to change for the sake of change or break something thats not broken. Were very happy what we have here, we LOVE the OT posts that our community generates and were proud to have you all call this community home. :)

Have a great day!

9. Re: <B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

We like you just the way you are!!

10. ilovecruises

ilovecruises Guest

I love this board JUST THE WAY IT IS!

The reason I love this board is because it is NOT like the others.

It's easy to go through, questions are answered IMMEDIATELY, and I TRUST the people giving their opinions.

This is a GREAT family board! What more can I say?

Julie

aka Cruiseless in California, but Maui bound 8/8/02.
    (I'm not even cruising this year and I still come here every single day!)

11. Sunshine

Sunshine Guest

I really like the current format. I personally find it very cumbersome to have to go to specific focused topic boards. I have learned so much about cruising because this community has a general format. This lets me be in touch with what's happening with all the cruise lines. If the format were set up so that each major cruiseline had its own board, I would have to check all of them to keep as informed as I am now, and personally I am not inclined to do that. Otherwise I would just have to choose 1 or 2 focussed boards to read (eg RCI and Princess for example) but then I would no longer be in touch with what is happening with the other lines . So personally I do not see that as a step forward from the current format.

However........whatever you decide to do I am sure you will have the support of the community here. It is great that you welcome input from people . If you decide to try something different on a test basis I think we would be open about trying it and seeing how it goes. :)
    Robin

12. Re: <B>Do you want more topic driven message boards?</B>

We like it like it is.
    Thanks John

13. Jorge

Jorge Guest

I have to agree with Scott, whatever it is he said!

14. paulfredo

paulfredo Guest

Cruise@ddicts is my homepage. I like it here. However, as a consultant, I recognize there's a certain amount of danger to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. Change is a part of life, like it or not... so I advise clients to mange the process of change rather than letting it run amock.

I go here first, then I admit, I go to cruisecritics and searh the cruisline specific boards, starting with the line I'm on next, then the others successively. There's a lot more activity on cruisecritic (and again, I don't like it better, but it serves a different purpose). John, if you are setting a goal of increasing readership, it would make sense to find ways to get more people involved though specific topic boards... You've already reassured the regulars (who by the way DOMINTATE the general message board, but may be confusing to newbies who don't take the time to get involved). I recognize a lot of fellow @ddicts over there too!

This is my first choice... but I assume that there are certain "business" concerns that we should all help John in supporting POSITVE changes that enhance this BB for experience for all and attracts an ever-increasing participation, still maintaining the quality he has promoted, and attracted us here.

15. Shadow

Shadow Guest

John;
    Sounds like most people like it the way it is.

Here is my perspective on the issue. I have visited this web site for about two years now. At first I couldn't wait to log on and check out what was happening but as time went by I noticed that a lot of the people that post here have become very close friends and keep track of what each other are doing in their personal lives. I think this is great but I personally do not have the time to get so involved and tend to skip the OT posts.

Now, I only find myself visiting this site maybe once a week or once a month to see if anything is new. I have found that I get more current information faster on one of the other cruise sites and log into that site on a daily basis and more than once.

This board is great to get certain types of information (like how to do a gif) but, I feel like I'm intruding into a domain that I do not belong. If I have a question in regards to a cruise I go ask on the other site. Do not get me wrong, I have never had a bad experience here and everyone seem very nice and helpful but, "They Are A Family".

I feel that if you had a vinue that I could go to that is specific to cruiselines I would visit more often. BTW, I like the "Cruise Tracker" that you recently added.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm just giving you my perspective on the issue.

16. Cyndi

Cyndi Guest

John,
    I am pretty new to this board or any other one for that matter, I don't think I ever posted more then one or two messages in all my years (6) on the internet. When my daughter talked about going on a board when she was expecting,,, I thought OH NO THAT IS DANGEROUS! She had to educate me. My point here is... I came to this site to find out if we wanted to take a cruise. This was in February of this year, I wasn't even sure we wanted to, in all the years we have been around we have not. So I came here to find information and just for the heck of it clicked on "The Boards" for days I read every post, yes every post, it took me some time, but it finely dawned on me what OT meant,,, :) but by this time I realized that this was a bunch of real nice people, and when my husband and I talked about it we said if this is the kind of people that goes on cruises,,, Lets Do It!
    Do you see,, if the OT's weren’t there then I wouldn't have been able to feel that maybe you were my potential new friends,,, and we might have just gone back to Europe again where we go to all the time, and we would never be going on our first cruise. And this cruise planning has become such a point of happiness for us, that would have been a real shame.
    And when I post a question some one always answers me,,, and they don't know me yet, that is such a wonderful feeling, I feel as I have a whole extended family growing here, and I thank each and everyone of you for welcoming me to it.
    This was a long roundabout way of saying PLEASE John don't change it too much if you must change it,,, there may be some one else like me out there.
    Cyndi

17. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

Paulfredo has clearly identified how I perceive the addition of topic-specific boards... "I assume that there are certain 'business' concerns that we should all help John in supporting POSITIVE changes that enhance this BB for experience for all and attracts an ever-increasing participation, still maintaining the quality he has promoted, and attracted us here."

John has gone to a great deal of trouble and expense to maintain this site so that the C@ community can thrive. Like paulfredo, I also participate in that "other" board for specific topics. C@ needs some topic-specific boards in order to grow and compete if that is the goal.

I don't see additional topic boards as diluting this one, I look upon their possible addition as an enhancement.

18. cruzqueen

cruzqueen Guest

Paulfredo and CruiseDiva - well said and I agree wholeheartedly. John only wants to broaden our choices here and provide something for everyone.

19. Einstein

Einstein Guest

One vote here for leaving it the way it is. IMO too much segregation would cause a disorganization of this community / family. To monitor 5 or 6 areas to answer questions would IMO be cumbersome and therefore limit the amount of responses that posters get . For instance the Know Before You Go section was added to this site to answer cruise specific questions and while I do visit that area on occasion it is limited. I think the same can probably be said for many posters that call the Community area home. Since that section has been added I also often see the same questions posed on the Community area that have been posted at the Know Before Before You Go Area. The main reason IMO is that the majority of posters at Cruise @ddicts frequent the Community area because its the Heart of this site and therefore more answers are generated to questions in this area. Any of the sites that I have been to that have topics segmented into separate categories have lost their community atmosphere. From my observation a poster will get many more opinions to a post at a quicker rate here at Cruise @ddicts with the present setup than at other sites where segmented topics are present. Whatever decision is made will not affect my being a poster here at Cruise @ddicts but IMO it might affect the family atmosphere that makes this site so VERY SPECIAL. Just my 2 cents worth.

20. surfergirl

surfergirl Guest

John,
    Einstein is sooooo correct.
    It is in MHO a real pain to check all the sites on different boards. When we are looking for info regarding different cruise lines, we check reviews.
    OTs if people don't like them, don't read them. This has been gone over a zillion times.
    As for the attitude that you have to be an "insider", that is sooooooo stupid. Yes, there are posters that post often ( like several times a day ) and have offered great advise. More power to them and what a great service they provide.
    Your site is so unique because it has not been fragmented. PLEASE! keep it!
    When Cruisediva-for instance-posted her recent trip, it was nice to know that if anyone was interested, they could go to her site to read it.
    As Einstein has stated many many times, "different strokes for different folks."

:candle :VA :C@