Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Balcony vs oceanview vs Interior

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by crankbait09, Jan 21, 2011.

1. crankbait09

crankbait09 Member

Besides the obvious reasons to choose one room over the other.

could anyone breakdown the balcony vs oceanview option? I know the balcony has a walk out patio which you can sit outside at the privac yof your own room. the oceanview is a window to the outside.

is the oceanview window adjustable or is it a solid window which is hard to access? i know your not in your room a whole lot but if your trying to save a few pennies and be able to do excursions,,,,is it worth the cut back?

i have never been on a cruise before so were still deciding whats best.

2. bob

bob Chief Engineer Staff Member

It is totally accessible if you packed a sledge hammer in your luggage, of course then you will have an ocean breeze for the rest of your cruise..............
    Ocean view cabins are just that, you get to look out the window, the days of open portholes (windows) are long gone.
    As far as balcony vs ocean view, depends on how much time you spend in the cabin, as first time cruisers you will probably not spend a lot, you will want to be experiencing the ship, on the other hand if you can get a balcony for the price you were expecting to pay for an outside (yes, it can happen, that's why you use a TA) then go for it, but just don't go so low in category that you get an actual porthole, you will be disappointed. We always book a balcony cabin of some nature, reason is Sheryl like to spend the time sitting in the sea air with a glass of champagne listening to her Ipod and I love to wander the ship, after 20 years of cruising, complacency sets in so we do what fits us best. My best guess is that you will want to feel the experience of the cruise so cabin is not so important, at least not yet, just make sure there is enough room for the three of you to be comfortable. On the other hand your son will soon acquire friends and will probably only return to the cabin to sleep and ask for more money for video games. Buy him a soda card or he will have a bar bill higher than yours.............

3. crankbait09

crankbait09 Member

thank you for the info. thats exactly what we were thinking as well. we wouldnt be in our cabin at all except for sleep. so it definitley makes sense.

we are going to be talking to a TA this weekend so we'll ask about those details as well.

i notice a lot of the rooms have two beds and a sofa. they all dont say whether that sofa turns in to a bed. but were also going to look in to that so my daughter has some place to sleep without having to book another room......which we will not do anyways. she' will be with us.

4. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Be sure to tell your TA that you're taking your daughter and need a triple occupancy cabin. Not all cabins can accommodate a third passenger.

Best wishes.

5. crankbait09

crankbait09 Member

are these cabins rare or are they there, we just have to specify?

6. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Triple and quad cabins are not rare. Most ships have plenty, but you do have to ask.

OK. My take on cabins ... I'd say to go for an inside. Especially for your first cruise. That way, if you are one of "the cursed" (i.e. - those who just can't sail ... motion sickness, allergy to fresh air or salt water, etc), you will minimize your expense. On the other hand, if you are blessed (a natural-born cruiser) then you have nowhere to go but up!

Seriously, you're only in your cabin to change clothes, sleep, shower, shave and "make whoopie". If you want a view, you have spectacular views from all over the ship, while you're out and about, taking part in all those activities. Remember that the only time you'll really be in the cabin will be at night. You know what you can see, at sea, at night? NOTHING. There ain't no street lights out there.

If you want "fresh air", i.e. - a balcony, then be aware that, unless you spring for a suite, your balcony will be barely big enough to accommodate two people sitting. Figure on the width of the cabin (12'-15') and maybe 4' wide. You're not going to be laying out there sunbathing as A] you'll have a chair or two, not a lounger, and B] there will be a roof (thenext deck's balcony) blocking direct sun. Comparetively, the upper two decks of the ship will have (literally) acres of open space for fresh air, great views and sunbathing; accompanied by deck crew available to bring you that next 'Frozen Thingie'.

On one of our earlier cruises, we were booked into a table for 10 (we like larger groups for dinner). On of the other couples was booked into a penthouse suite and the husband made sure everyone was aware of their "status". At one point I asked "Vinnie" how much the penthouse cost them. He gave the price of only $4,200 each, bragging about hao he had gotten a nice discount. I couldn't help but allow that we had paid $400 each for our inside and were enjoying the same wonderful food, marvelous shows and exotic ports of cal as they were. But that for what they had paid, we would be able to take ten cruises!

So, why spend more ?

Bottom line? Start low and move up until you find your comfort and service level.

The next question is ... Where on the ship? Figure that the ship will roll (side-to-side), pitch ('nodding' up and down) and yaw (swing left and right). The bigger thae are the less the movement, but it will be there on every ship. The "pivot point" (location with the least movement) is generally the center of the ship (fore-aft and port-starboard) andf as low as possible. That's why most ships have their medical treatment area there.

So (again), start low and and move up until you find your comfort level. Avoid the very front, rear and top of the ship. Movement in these areas is magnified.

Disclaimer: The above is just my opinion. There are many who insist on that penthouse or deluxe or aft-suite; and there's nothing wrong with that. To each their own ... SunFlower Star (my better-half) insists on a minimum of an outside, but that's because she is claustrophobic and having outside light helps offset that.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

7. suse

suse New Member

We've had them all and at this point, I have to say, the price can definitely drive the decision. I won't do an inside again, but outside cabins can be a very good deal. Most of the time, we've had balconies, but on our upcoming cruise, we do not.
    It's all good. I am totally thrilled to be cruising again!:clap:

8. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

We had a balcony, outside and inside cabin. I love the balcony door open at night therefore it is my first choice. But hey I will take an inside if it gets me on a cruise that is what counts

9. crankbait09

crankbait09 Member

wow, you definitley open my eyes to what is best. i know we'd spend most of our time on the boat playing rather than in our cabin. so that makes a whole heck of a lot of sense to spend less money, be on the cruise and have fun which on the flip side frees up money for an excursion :)!!

the cruise is definitley a higher priority than the sleeping area. as long as there are showers in every room :)

10. Funnel

Funnel Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor

I love to wake up in the morning, open the balcony door and go out for some (hopefully) fresh air while looking at the scenery and listening to the sound of the ocean or the port of the day. So I'll spend a couple of minutes there in the morning and sometimes a couple during the day and in the evening. If it's worth the money? I'm not sure, but it gives a bit of freedom.
    Also, especially on bigger ships with many passangers, it can be nice to be able to have some relaxing time on your own balcony.

As many have said; an interior cabin can be a good choise for your first cruise as everything is new and you will not spend much time at all in your cabin. Same for shorter cruises -not much time spent in the cabin.

On some ships there is another alternative; an interior with window, facing an indoor promenade. You can find them on RCI Voyager (Eagle)-, Freedom- and Oasis class. There are some on Cunards' QM2 also (facing the atrium) and I think there are some on Norwegian Epic (facing a corridor - great view...).

/Erik

11. bob

As mentioned asking for a triple will assure you of getting a convertible sofa as apposed to them bringing in a roll-a-way every night. And make sure to advise them of how you want the bed made up. Except for some suites all beds come as twin, which is what you are probably seeing the pictures of, but at your request the bed can be made up as a queen or king depending on the size of the twins. If it slips your mind not a big deal, you can always tell your cabin steward once you are on board and he will set it up, but it is a good thing to do it up front as there still are a few ships out there that have cabins where the beds can not be put together, rare but they are there.

12. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

Pretty good advice and I can't add much. I could comment on the "Woopie" bit in a 170 sg foot cabin with your daughter along so you might want a ship that has a good Childs program....but I won't

We have cruised and still cruise inside, outside and with balconies. Depends on where the cruise is going and the costs.

13. tutak

tutak Getting EVEN closer to suspension

On our first cruise, we booked an outside cabin. We spent most of our time outside the cabin. I then realized that for the cost of the window that we never looked out, I could buy a new Pella window for our home. We then always booked inside cabins. One day, we saw a good price on a balcony and booked it. We became spoiled and now always book balconies. We usually cruise on Princess and get balconies on Caribe deck. These balconies have the depth of two normal balconies. Half of the balcony is covered and half is open. You can either sit in the sun or in the shade. We usually have 2 or 3 other couples over for cocktails on the balcony. Our cruises have changed as we now spend most of our time on the balcony. We can relax and don't have to battle with chair hogs. We leave the balcony when something in the ships program attracts us like breakfast, lunch, dinner, wet tee shirt contest, etc.

14. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

In general the cabins can be put into four classes, inside, ocean view, balcony and suite.

For the most part insides, ocean views and balconies have the same amenities and are the same size (except that a balcony cabin also has an additional private area just outside the rear door). Suite are larger and have better amenities. However, not all suites have balconies.

Insides are the least expensive. People generally use them for sleeping, washing and changing clothes. There is no natural light (and in fact get pitch black when you turn out the lights). If you want to see what it is like outside, you have to leave the cabin.

Ocean view cabins usually have large picture windows (though some have portholes). The windows don't open. However, you can see outside, so you have some idea of what it is like outside.

Balconies are ocean views with some private space. This private space is great for entering and exiting the ports, sitting and watching the world go by, sunning yourself, joining the balcony club (equivalent to the mile high club on an airplane), sitting with your morning cup of coffee or watching the sunset. Of course it allow easy access to finding out what the weather is like outside.

Suites are bigger cabins, usually with balconies and better amenities (special privileges, nicer decor, bigger bathrooms with tub/shower combo or better - the other cabins usually just have a shower).

Sometimes you will find small variations to the above classes, such as inside cabins with windows overlooking an inside promenade and balcony cabins that don't really have an outside balcony, but rather have French doors that open (so you do get fresh air).

Here is a fairly typical inside cabin looking in from the door (NCL Jade) ...
    [​IMG]
    That thing on the left wall above the bed is a fold out third bed.

Looking out from the back of the cabin ...
    [​IMG]

Here is a fairly typical ocean view cabin looking in from the door (Carnival Paradise) ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fairly typical balcony cabin looking in from the door (Mariner of the Seas) ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The balcony ...
    [​IMG]

15. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

Here are some suites ...

A Superior Verandah Suite on the HAL Oosterdam (about 378 sq ft) ...
    [​IMG]

A Deluxe Verandah Suite (500 - 712 sq. ft.) ...
    [​IMG]

These suites can include hot tubs on the balcony (Royal Suite - Voyager of the Seas) ...
    [​IMG]

Very nice bathrooms (Royal Suite - Voyager of the Seas)...
    [​IMG]

And truly huge balconies (NCL Star) ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, both of the above pictures are the balconies for one cabin (which runs in excess of $25,000 per week).

16. crankbait09

crankbait09 Member

very cool, thanks for the pictures. definitley beats the pictures that the travel sites we've seen provide.
    for as much time we'd be in the room, there is really no reason why we need to splurge on the more expensive rooms. an interior room seems perfect!!!

17. bob

Ya them RCI suite bathrooms are cool, I fill the bidet with ice and use it to keep the beer cold............

18. Lurline63

Lurline63 Well-Known Member

This is an excellent point. We booked an oceanview cabin for an upcoming cruise as shore excursions in the areas we are going are pricey. Over the years, we've been in every type of cabin... interior, oceanview, balcony, and suite. In fact, our last two cruises were in suites, one of which was nearly 600 square feet with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room and dining room. Still, if it's a trade-off between cabin size and shore excursions in areas I'll likely never get to again, the shore excursions win every time.

Enjoy your planning!

19. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Cruizer - I once again compliment you on the magnificent photos you share with us. They are extremely informative as well as beautiful.

:thankyou: for the service you render us.

20. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Yeah. Whut she said .... You do good wurk (for a Lost Angel ...) !