Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

BBB gives Princess an "F" Rating!

Discussion in 'Princess Cruises' started by Mike & Charlotte, Sep 14, 2006.

1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! I was checking something else out, and for the heck of it looked up Princess on the Better Business Bureau site, www.bbb.com My eyes just popped out of my head! I don't want to be accused of misstating anything so I'm just going to cut and paste this report from their site:

"Princess Cruises
    24844 Avenue Rockefeller
    Santa Clarita, CA 91355
    Phone: (661) 284-4411
    Company Rating: F
    Rating Explanation:
    The rating the Better Business Bureau assigns a business is determined by our composite score of such factors as its type of business, length of time in business, compliance ...

Under the description of a Rating F, "F We strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices."

"Complaint Experience
    Our complaint history for this company shows the company gave proper consideration to some complaints presented by the Bureau.

Although in some cases the company failed to respond to complaints.
    Some complainants allege general dissatisfaction with services, and accomodations, such as, room service, food quality, cabin size, or location. Other travelers complain of delays in departure or arrival times. he company generally responds to copmlaints by providing explanations of their policies. In cases where cancellation and refunds are an issue, the company explains that insurance can be purchased to ensure refunds should a cancellation become necessary. Other service related complaints are addressed by offering discounts on future cruises, apologies or explanations for delays in departure or arrival times. Several complainants who were unable to complete their cruise were not satisfied with the company's response, explaining the "no refund policy." The company refused to make any monetary adjustments in most cases, and customers generally felt their policies were unfair."

Charlotte

2. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

=shrug... Oh well..that's their printing and OK..in 12 years of sailing with them our overall rating is FIVE star.. in fact the have gone out of their way to make things excellente.. and =twocents I go by "my experiences with cruise lines".so be it..Joanne..

3. Beryl

Beryl Guest

My experience has always been very positive as well! Mind you, I've never had quite the experience that Mike and Charlotte did and I do feel that Princess did not address their problem (and it had been reported in the past too!) and really needs to do so. Charlotte do let us know how the lawsuit turns out. I'm in your corner on this one.

4. DesrtDrmr

DesrtDrmr Guest

Under the description of a Rating F, "F We strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices."

I think when they are describing the reasons they give companies an F, they say "for reasons SUCH AS", they are NOT saying that Princess did all those things. What it seems to say is that Princess did not respond as the complainant wished for such things as complaints about locations of accommodations, room service and other things which I consider rather reaching for something to complain about. Those things should have been addressed on the ship, and not after the cruise was over............they could not have been fixed at that point, and I really don't think that someone should have a free cruise for having a mixed up order on room service, or not liking the location of their cabin. I'm sure there were also complaints about leaving a port late, or missing a port, etc, just as there are on these message boards. That article also stated that Princess responded to the BBB with the explanations of their policies, which seems proper to me.

We have always enjoyed our Princess Cruises, had wonderful service, and gone with the flow if there have been itinerary changes. The biggest annoyance we have ever had on a cruise was the actions of some other passengers!! :)
    I'm sure that people have their own reasons for complaints, but we have had none.

5. cruiserjanet

cruiserjanet Guest

I take what the BBB says with a grain of salt especially when they give Royal Caribbean a higher rating. I am curious about the lawsuit though. There are a lot of details that I would like to know so I can understand where Princess is coming from.

6. Just go to the list of threads and look for Mike & Charlotte; details are there. It's a small claims court division of Superior Court action. The Contract of Passage says that all suits must be filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, and I just happen to live within about 30 miles of their headquarters and the nearest such superior court to them.

Charlotte

7. cruiserjanet

cruiserjanet Guest

Thanks. I work in Downtown Los Angeles. I'll have one of our paralegals pull it up for me.

8. luvs2knit

luvs2knit Guest

I don't know about the "F" princess got or their policies for customer care/satisfaction since I've never cruised with them but I can comment on RCCL since we have cruised with them a lot. We had a cruise that was a transition cruise(an old crew training a new crew) but of course you aren't told this. The new crew was going into the crews gym at 3 in the morning & partying. This gym is suppose to close at 11 Pm because it is under balcony suites. My husband asked them to be quiet the first night that we were trying to sleep but it continued off & on all night, the next night he did something he shouldn't have done he went down there & asked them to be quiet that we had paid for a very expensive cabin & we were trying to sleep...it continued so he went to the pursers desk & security went down there & told them to leave because that area closes at 11pm so as not to disturb guests. He went back up & told my husband they were gone & my husband said call my wife & ask her...he did ...as soon as security left they went back to partying...so security had to come back & from what I understand a bunch of these new employees were put off at the next stop...then when we got home from the cruise we got a letter from the president of RCCL with apologies & vouchers for 75% off each (my hubby & me) for another 12 cruise...now I call that taking care of your customers.

9. It sure beats the offer of $50 onboard credit on the next cruise, which is what Princess offered us. I want the difference between the balcony category I paid for and the price they charged for an oceanview cabin for that cruise on a holiday weekend. I think that's fair; if you can't use the balcony, then you have the equivalent of an ocean view cabin.

Charlotte

10. luvs2knit

luvs2knit Guest

I think what you are asking for is extrememly fair, I remember when you first posted the problem & all the corespondence. Good luck.

11. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

I too remember your dilemma Charlotte, and I also agree you should get treated fairly.. I just don't know that the BBB has enough grounds to make it that Princess deserves an *F*.. =shrug...Good luck...Happy Cruising!!..:daisy..Joanne

12. kruznut

kruznut Guest

After cruising with Princess many times, I'm more inclined to judge them from my own personal experiences rather than what the BBB has to say. I will take what they have to say with a grain of salt too. I have enjoyed every one of my cruises on Princess. Has everything been perfect ? no, but then not much is life is either. Just my humble =twocents worth.

13. Just a reminder that the BBB report has nothing to do with whether or not you liked you cruise, but how they handle complaints. The BBB does not rate cruises; it rates the method and timeliness with which a company addresses complaints. This is only talking about how they step forward when a problem occurs.

Charlotte

14. Einstein

Einstein Guest

Cheaper Cabins for US. :dance

15. Does anyone have the actual link to the website showing this?

All I see is an A rating when I serach the BBB.

16. Beryl

Beryl Guest

Yes, the rating has changed since this thread was first started!

17. Bob K.

Bob K. Guest

BBB gives Princess an "A" Rating!

I checked the BBB site for the Princess rating. You can find the specific webpage for the rating at <http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=38000445>

The rating for Princess appears to be A.

Charlotte, How did you find it to be F? Can you give the link to the specific webpage that you viewed that indicated F? Thanks.

18. Bob K.

Bob K. Guest

Re: BBB gives Princess an "A" Rating!

Whoops. I should have read Beryl's message before I posted. Apparently it was a misprint on the BBB site when Charlotte and Beryl read it and the misprint has been corrected.

19. plainjane

plainjane Guest

[quote Cruise cutie]=shrug... Oh well..that's their printing and OK..in 12 years of sailing with them our overall rating is FIVE star.. in fact the have gone out of their way to make things excellente.. and =twocents I go by "my experiences with cruise lines".so be it..Joanne..[/quote]

I agree!!!!!!!!!!! Makes you wonder if someone from one of the other competion lines bribed someone.