Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

BEER AND A 20 YEAR OLD! ANYONE??????

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by VictoriaJ, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewNCrusin

NewNCrusin Guest

Just a note. It's not illegal for a PARENT to supply their child with alochol. At least not in the state of Texas. I just returned from a cruise with my parents and we would occasionally buy my younger brother (18) a strawberry daqueri when he was at a show with us. He couldn't buy them but when we bought them it was never questioned.

Enjoy - with our without drinks!

Also, on the Conquest the walkie-talkies didn't work very well all over the ship. Plus, you got to hear everyones conversations! :)

2. fi0na

fi0na Guest

CruisingDiva - America has the highest drinking age in the world. Does it make sense that you can vote for who is going to run your country, but not be able to raise a drink in cheer when they win?! That you are old enough to serve your country in war, but still not have a drink when you come home?

Sodey - You sound like an awesome father. :thumb

3. TomD

TomD Guest

I don't have to worry about this one as of yet. My 14-year-old son is now convinced he will never drink. That may change, but I think it's a good ideal for a soon-to-be 9th grader... on the football team, on the baseball team, and on the basketball team.

4. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Guest

Traditionally, the drinking, voting, and adult consent age in the U.S. was 21 (a few states has 18 year old drinking i.e. New York). In 1972 the national voting age was dropped to 18 and most states also dropped the drinking age to 18 as well. The result was a bonanza for the beer and liquor industries as well as coroners. The rate of alcohol related motor vehicle fatalities rose 35% over the next few years. This was during a period when cars themselves were getting safer (shoulder belts, crumple zones etc.).

The result was the raising of the drinking age. States raised it to 19 and eventually back to 21 by the end of the 1980's. Other adult privileges such as voting, consent, gambling, contracts and so forth remained 18.

Whether this is the best way to prevent youthful drunk driving and other problems is still a matter for debate. In any event, the 21 year old drinking age will remain for some time to come.

I think the parental approach mentioned is a good one. Underaged adults (a curious oxymoron) should learn responsible drinking from their parents and not their peers.

5. DanielR2004

DanielR2004 Guest

HEH! I heard that one before!!! High school will change EVERYTHING for him. At least it did for my son. He's now going to be a Sophomore.

-Daniel

6. Vicar

Vicar Guest

Sodey ,

I have to agree with you 100%.

My daughter is 17 and her mom and I have allowed her to have a beer or a glass of wine on occasion , like the holidays or a family party. Its always when one of us is with her and there is no way she will be driving. That little privilage also comes with a long lecture on responcibility and the consequences of stupid actions.

When you make something taboo and ominous to a teen , you make them all the more interested. As a result going out and getting drunk is not that big a deal for my daughter. If she does have a can of beer or a glass of wine , mst of the time she doesn't even finish it, its just the idea of having a beer with her dad that makes her feel special not the actual drinking of it.

They aren't going to be 4 years old forever and answers like "because I am the Daddy and I say so" and "the stork brings the baby" just aren't going to fly.

I would rather my daughter hear the truth about the important issues in life from me and her mother than have her believe the half assed misinformation she will hear from her friends .

Just MHO , but so far it has worked for us and it sounds like it works for you and your family.

God Bless

7. Sodey

Sodey Guest

It sounds like you've enjoyed some quality time with your kids too.

The only problem I have is that because 2 are in college, 3 have summer jobs and all have sports and or very busy schedules, it's hard to take a family vacation that they all will willingly clear their calanders for. A week up north or at a beach doesn't excite them anymore. That's why we cruise! They all can't wait to go. They talk about the last one and this upcoming one all the time. I enjoy the excitement.

Also, After reading your note (at the very end) I somehow knew we had a mutual connection.

8. ScottieB64

ScottieB64 Guest

I thought I would just clarify the issue on parents giving alcohol to their children. This is for the state of North Carolina. I don't know about other states. I am a law enforcement officer and I do drink occasionally. I don't have kids but I wouldn't give them alcohol if they were of legal age. North Carolina General Statute 18B-302(c)(2) states: Sale to or purchase by underage persons, adier and abettor--By person over lawful age--Any person who is over the lawful age to purchase and aids or abets another in violation of this statute shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Also not only will the parent be charged, the child will be charged with Possession of Malt Beverage/Unfortified Wine under 21. This will include up to 120 days in jail, $500 fine, and at least 25 hours of community service.

Bear in mind that this is in the State of North Carolina. I don't know what the law is in other states but I would assume that it would be pretty much the same since the drinking age for all of the USA is 21. I don't know what laws govern the activity on a cruise ship as far as drinking goes.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

9. Sodey

Sodey Guest

No D.A. in the country is going to prosecute me if I give my child under 21 a drink if I am supervising them and there is no way that they will be driving. You can state all the laws of every state and city jurisdiction but it doesn't change the fact that I can and will provide on a limited supervisory basis alcohol to my own children. By the way, are churches exempt from this law? I've never seen a priest arrested for distributing alcohol to 13 year old kids.

Now, I'm not talking about supplying my kids with a 6-pack or bottle of wiskey! I'm talking about pouring them a small glass of wine for dinner or allowing them to have a beer on a hot summer day after we just worked in the hot sun. Or, letting them taste a margarita or pina colada on a jamaican beach while on vacation.

It's time people use their brains and stop trying to legislate every cotton pickin thing.

Cheers!

10. Vicar

Vicar Guest

I am the same way Sodey

Please do not think I go out and buy my daughter liquor or get her boozed up.

I can count the actual times this has happened on one hand.

If we are at a family party or wedding where either her mother or I are with her (we are divorced) and there is champagne or beer or Margaritas or whatever and she wants one. We do not make a big deal out of it. Like I said in the previous post , I don't think she has ever even finished a whole drink. Its the feeling like one of the crowd that makes her feel special.

I would never let her have enough to get drunk on, I would never let her do this with a group of her friends around , and this is in no way an everyday occurence.

My daughter knows she can talk to me or her mother about anything and she never has to be afraid. She knows we will listen and not just blow up.

That age is so rough, they look like women of the world , but they are still little girls, if they don't have a parent or guardian who loves them and will guide them in the right direction, and be there for them. there are plenty of scumbags out there who will , and i don't want to think what they would advise them to do.

The hell with this "It takes a village" BS. No one will love and care about YOUR children as much as YOU will. No offense to teachers and clergy and guidence counselors and coaches and whatever. But its YOU they must look too. Next year they may not have the same teacher or counselor or coach , but they will always have you

11. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Guest

Victoria, to answer your original question. There were a lot of underaged drinkers on board but they were not getting their drinks directly from the ship. They were getting them from their parents or others on board. The ship is very strict about it. The info is on the sign-and-sail card. When we were in Cozumel a few days ago, a 20 year old male in our group bought a couple of bottles of liquor at the duty-free shop on the pier.
    When he checked into the ship (they run your S&S card through a scanner) they told him he could not bring the liqour on board because he was under 21. His mom happened to have just come back off the ship to look for him. She said the booze was hers, so they allowed it to be taken on board. Mom kept the booze, because she was very angry that the young man had bought it. He never got it back.
    My point is, the cruise line, does follow this policy. I don't know what they would do if they observed a parent blatently giving alcohol to a minor.

12. MrsPete

MrsPete Guest

Sorry, but I can't buy into the "teach them to drink responsibly" theory.

First, there's the health problem: Their bodies aren't ready to handle alcohol. 2 beers to an adult liver and 2 beers to an 18-year old liver are not the same thing. If my father had not been allowed to drink in his teen years, I believe he would have lived longer. He may have become an alcoholic anyway, but I don't think his liver would have shut down before his 40th birthday.

Then there's the permission problem: Kids who are allowed to drink at home almost always DO drink other places too -- they see it as "mom and dad are okay with this", so I'll go ahead and do it. Recently I went on a trip with a large group of friends, some of whom allowed their teens to drink ONLY IN THE ROOM WITH THEM; those teens didn't follow their parents rule -- they drank everywhere. Once a privledge is granted, it's hard to take it back. On the positive side, I think most kids HAVE finally understood the "don't drink and drive" thing; it doesn't stop them from drinking, but they do plan their rides, which is a step in the right direction.

Then there's the legal problem: It is illegal for kids to drink under age 21. Whether you agree with this personally or not, it is the law. If you allow your kids to break this law, you're basically telling them that it's okay to break other "unimportant" laws too.

Perhaps more importantly, I don't believe they're automatically going to drink. I didn't drink during my teen years -- not at all, and I wasn't alone. I've discussed this with my brothers, and they say the same thing. They just didn't. Part of this may be due to the example we had in our father, but I think it has more to do with the fact that our mother and our stepfather made their expectations clear: drinking is for 21 years old and older. Of course, they didn't drink on a regular basis -- they didn't see alcohol as a necessity for a good time, so they set that example before us. I know quite a few teens today, and MANY of them tell me that they and their friends DON'T drink. So the "everyone's doing it" theory is just bull.

Here's what I think the real problem is: Americans have developed the idea that one MUST drink to have a good time; the more you drink, the more fun you have. It's an unhealthy attitude. If Americans were good at having one drink with dinner, it wouldn't be so bad -- but our society tells us to have one before dinner, two with dinner, and a couple more in the evening -- otherwise, it's not a party!

You don't have to agree with me, but please consider my reasoning. I believe it's valid.

13. VictoriaJ

VictoriaJ Guest

Everyone is entilted to an opinion....I do disagree however...I don't have to drink to have a good time and I don't believe all Americans feel that way. In fact, I don't know many people that drink before , during and after dinner...Apparently you have not had good experiences with alcahol but like most things, if you are responsible, and most people are....it should not be an issue......Also your theory about teens seeing parents drink must be a personal issue you have dealt with because I have two VERY responsible kids who have seen me have wine with dinner or a beer on a hot summer day and they are not influinced by that.......

14. NewNCrusin

NewNCrusin Guest

Bottom line is that if you want to buy your child a drink on the Conquest (can't speak for other ships) you can. My brother is 18 and liked "fruity" drinks and both my mom and I bought him a drink or too. No one got drunk or even wanted to. It was just to enjoy a "fruity" drink. He also ordered plenty without the alochol.

My parents were open about letting me drink with them and I can assure you I am a very responsible 25 year old female. It can happen. Just allowing your child to drink isn't the root-- you have to be open about everything that it involves.

Just my opinion.

15. VictoriaJ

VictoriaJ Guest

I agree NewNcrusin....the more I think about it, the more it bugs me that someone had to say "Americans" need to drink to have fun..Apperantly they don't have a clue!

16. Hey guys! We're just back from the Triumph and there were several groups of teens on their HS grad trips with older adults, like their parents. We watched them buy their teens alcohol for the entire 7 days straight. It didn't bother me at all because we had a ball watching them make asses of themselves. We also reminded one another that more likely than not, we acted just like that at 18. My friend made a great point though, if they were acting this way in front of their parents, just imagine how they acted when their parents weren't around????

17. JerseyJim

JerseyJim Guest

Those kids without their parents, the mind boggles!

Jim

Post Edited (06-29-04 02:18)

18. randy

randy Guest

"Hey, if my kids are going to learn to (drink, smoke, have sex, use drugs, gamble, rob convenience stores, cheat on income taxes, etc.) responsibly while they are under legal age, I want them to be able to do so in front of us, (in our home, at Aunt Maude's wedding, at the restaurant, on the cruise, at the beach, at the game, etc.) instead of with their (irresponsible?) friends. We aren't going to be hypocrites (or set the example, teach them the value of abstaining, maturing, developing a respect for social norms or public law, etc.)." And if we aren't there to help them with this important rite of passage, I hope that the bartenders on Carnival will look the other way and serve them anyhow--in a nurturing and loving way, of course.
    Tongue firmly planted in cheek, lest the literal-minded light the flame-throwers!

19. ScottieB64

ScottieB64 Guest

It really blows my mind, as a law enforcement officer, that parents are doing this. Yeah on one had you as a parent would rather them do it in your presence than out on their own with friends, but still one thing remains....21 is the legal drinking age in the US and it is the law. Like another post said that once you give them that freedom, even if it is in your presence, they will feel like they can do it even when you aren't around. I can't begin to count the number of underage people i have charged and arrested with underage possession of alcohol. The law is the law. Their are no gray areas. What really puts all this in perspective was about a month ago when I was called to investigate an accident involving a drunk driver. When i got there, I found out the driver was 17 years old, had 4 more underage kids in the car, and hit a family of 4 coming home from church. Killed everyone of the family of 4 and also the driver and 2 others in that car. Worst accident I had ever seen. A 17 year old driver doesn't have much experience driving and add alcohol into the picture, that just don't mix. I want all of you parents who think it is OK to let your kids drink underage thinks about this when you do it next time. Your kids will not always be under your supervision and as much as we hope that they will not get behind the wheel of a car, we all know alcohol sometimes makes people act before they think. Just think about that.

Oh and to Sodey, some DA's will prosecute you. I have seen it happen because I was the charging officer.

20. Sodey

Sodey Guest

The fact that the driver was 17 is immaterial. Drunk drivers kill many people on the highway every day. Many of the drivers are over 21 so you can find all the examples you want with underage drivers but the fact still remains that education is the key to reducing this problem.

If I take a 17 year old and sit them down at a driving simulator and give them alcohol periodically and measure their driving and judgement ability as they consume more and more alcohol so they understand exactly how much it takes to affect their driving skills and judgment process, then I have now demonstrated in real terms how dangerous over-consumption of alcohol can be.

Now, you are going to say I can't do this educational excercise because the subjects aren't 21. You would rather risk them finding out on their own (possibly when it's too late) because "The Law is The Law".

The whole country is losing all perspective because of all the no-tolerence rules.
    A kid brings a plastic knife to school and gets suspended for a week.

As a police officer you can't tell me that you pull people over for going 58 in a 55 mph zone. Why not? The Law is the Law! Who are you to judge when to follow the law and when not to? People need to start thinking and quit relying on the government to legislate everything so we have no decisions to make.

If the drinking age is lowered to 18 are you going to follow that law? Why?
    What about if all alcohol is illegal for everyone and we bring back prohibition. You just going to arrest people because the law is the law? If you are nothing more than a robot and aren't allowed to use any judgement on your own, why do we need you. I say get rid of all police and just implant everyone at birth and track them and all chemistry and vital signs 24 hours a day and arrest them whenever they are somewhere they shouldn't be or we detect a chemical substance in their body. (We now have this technology ).

By the way, there are many bad cops out there as well. They take bribes, they solicit women to have sex to get out of a speeding ticket, they doctor accident reports to protect friends or city officials. Happens every day. Should I believe everything a cop tells me because he represents the law? I don't think so. I'll listen and then make my own decision based on common sense, not blind faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.