Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

BELIZE KEY WEST PROGRESSO

Discussion in 'Caribbean Ports' started by shannon ball, Sep 17, 2002.

1. shannon ball

shannon ball Guest

Hi I'm new to the group. My wife and I are cruising on the Carnival Pride on SEPT 28 (our second cruise...we're getting addicted fast) Could someone give us info on what to do in ports of Key West, Belize and Progresso. We're not exactly history buffs so would like to do something other than ruins-town tours. Are there beaches or snorkeling sites we could visit without taking tours in key west/progresso?

In Belize I'm interested in shark ray alley Cathy wants to do the cave tubing...has anyone done these?

THANKS for your help

2. Rick & Kathy

Rick & Kathy Guest

We just came back from our cruise on Celbrity Galaxy that went to two ports on your current itinerary. Key West is very laid back, good for shopping and exploring. In January we were there and spent the day at Zachary Taylor beach, It about 2 miles from the docks, but can be reached quickly by taxi. This month we booked an excursion eco-kayak tour. This was the first excursion to sell out for key west. we had a great time and some good exercise. Followed that up with a trip to Margaritaville, the original. Also good place to eat and have a drink is Sloppy Joe's, great seafood. As for Belize, we did SharkRay Alley and it was a blast, you take a 1 hour powerboat trip up to a reef just off the coast of San Pedro, spend about a hour and a half there then proceed to lunch. And then they let you roam the island and do a little shopping, about an hour. Everyone in Belize is incredibly friendly. We knew people who did the cave tubing and they loved it, the only thing they heard people complain about was a hike of about 1/2 hour. We talked with other people who tendered in and hired a taxi for the day. they got a great tour of the city, with the cab even waiting for them as the ventured into a local bar to try the belizian beer. The only thing to keep in mind weather you stay on ship or go ashore, you are below the Tropic of Cancer and the sun hits you hard. Lotion up well and enjoy the heat. If the sun gets to be to much head for shade, because the air temp isn't bad, just the sun. Don't let anything you hear about belize deter you from enjoying this wonderful country. My father-in-law visits Belize yearly and has had nothing but praise for the country and her friendly people. After visiting now I understand his love for the country. My wife and I are looking forward to going back.