Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Best Beaches in Cozumel NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by mlzangel78, May 10, 2004.

1. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

Calling all cruise addicts.. i am looking at 3 different locations.. I have already been to chakunaab,, and dont want to go there again...

We are looking at

Playa Azul
    Mr Sanchos
    Playa Sol

beutiful beach,, with good snorkeling is what were most interested in... Could someone please help me :)

2. jenibq

jenibq Guest

We just went to Cozumel last week. (on the Conquest) We went to Palancar beach and Paradise beach. They aren't too far from the pier and all close to each other (along with San Francisco Beach and Mr. Sancho's) Both were free, not too busy (but at a slow time of year, I was told. 3 cruise ships in that day), had beach chairs/tables/umbrellas, showers and restrooms, and were very pretty. They had a bar and a place to get food. We had drinks at Palancar ($2.50 for a virgin pina colada, which was SO good (I think it was $4 for non-virgin)/$1.50 for Diet Pepsi) and they'll bring it right to you on the beach. They'll come around to ask you if you want a drink, but are friendly and not pushy at all. All in all perfect except we didn't find the best snorkeling there. The water was calm and clear, but there just wasn't a lot to see. A little coral, a few fish, some crabs. My husband saw a sting ray briefly. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Probably not quite as friendly as the ones in Grand Caymon. I've heard lots of good things about Mr. Sancho's but we didn't make it there. Hope that helps.

3. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

Thanks, we keep hearing about Paradise Beach,, we are also looking at Royal Palms for grand cayman...

Any input would be great...

Anyone know how much cab fare is to Paradise Beach in cozumel?

And to the 7mile beach area in GC...

Per couple not per person... thanks guys,,, cant wait to go

4. diverdiver

diverdiver Guest

The public beach (on 7-mile beach) is right across from the old Holiday Inn (can't remember who owns it now, but every taxi driver knows where it is. It is a set $4.00 per person each way...plus tip....whether you take a taxi or a van. It's a beautiful beach, with facilities, a snack bar with great cheeseburgers, and showers. You have to pay $10.00 to rent a beach chair (and get a very small bottled water with it), but there is no admission fee. I go there every time I'm in GC. You have to time your return very carefully, though, as the traffic is awful in the afternoon on cruise ship days.

I like Chankanaab, but haven't been to Paradise Beach. I also like Playa Sol. I think the taxi was around $14.00 for the 4 of us each way, and you can pay a set price for the open bar. We booked that one through Carnival, though, and it included the open bar and admission, but not the taxi ride. It's about a 15-minute ride from the pier. Very nice beach and facilities.

5. Kim1319

Kim1319 Guest

is there any Parasailing in Cozumel? I looked through some of the excursions on Carnivals website and didn't really see anything? I've been to Cozumel before but we did the Atlantis Submarine tour last time.

6. jenibq

jenibq Guest

Just a little tip about Grand Cayman. Some people at our dinner table took a van-type taxi to 7-mile beach and said the drivers wait until the whole thing is full before they go. They were on first thing and had to wait 15 minutes for it to fill up before they left. It was the same price as a regular taxi, so if you only have 2-4 people, you might want to take a regular taxi over the van. They said the beach was great, but I don't remember exactly where they went. I'm sure it's all good.

I believe most of the above mentioned beaches in Cozumel were approximately $12-16 total each way. We rented a car because we felt like it gave us more freedom than a taxi. We figured a taxi would cost $24-$32 by the time we paid to go both ways and we got the car for $32. However, we had to pay $6 each way for a cab to get to the "cheapest" rental car place so that added $12 and it was a totally beat-up, dirty vw bug. In retrospect, we should have just rented from Alamo, which was right by the pier and had much cleaner cars, AND saved half an hour each way just getting to the other place and back. I think Alamo is $45 for the day.

It is definitely worth it to rent a car if you want to go anywhere else than the beach. The main part of town is the opposite direction from the above-mentioned beaches and is WAY too far to walk. If you plan on trying to get to town, I would definitely rent a car, as taxis will cost you more overall. (Unless money is not a big deal. Taxis are probably easier if you don't mind paying.) Plus, if you drive on past the above-mentioned beaches for about 10-15 minutes, you come around to the other side of the island where it is much more rocky. You can't swim there, but the beaches are kind of cool to see with the waves crashing in. The downside is that there is quite a bit of trash washed up on them. There is a lot of nice shopping at the pier, though, so if you only want to go to the beach and do a little shopping, a taxi would be fine and more simple.

7. Palancar was $17 one way from the pier

we did this trip in march. We rented from HERTZ a 5 passenger air conditioned 4 door (it was new) for $50 total. We drove to all the beach locations but settled on palancar. The food was excellent, very inexpensive and the drinks were fruity, excellent. We stayed for about 2-3 hours and then we continued to the La Sur Lighthouse (think that was the name). Beautiful views from the top!!!

There is so much to see in cozumel, not all busy, busy, but renting a car was better than a cab for me (traveling in a party of 6 with 4 being children).

Good Luck! christine

8. fi0na

fi0na Guest

What about parking? Is it free everywhere?

9. did not have to pay to park anywhere in cozumel when I went. I parked at the pier, it was free, when I came back from the beaches to shower and then we hit downtown, parked at the supermarket (where the more inexpensive souveniers are HINT HINT) and then walked along the main ave (across from the water) and hit the stores to browse.

the hertz office let me return the car by 9pm and then they drove us back to the pier.

Christine

10. diverdiver

diverdiver Guest

Absolutely corrrect about the vans in Grand Cayman making you wait until the whole thing is filled up! I always take a car-taxi to get to that beach, but for the ride back, I've only seen the vans....and YES! They make you wait forever until the van fills up before they'll leave, and then the traffic back to the tender pier is always terrible. Plan your return time with plenty of time to spare!

11. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

Yes diverdiver, I now remember that about the van-taxis. The first time we went to Cayman, we took a small cab and were the first ones at 7 mile beach. The last time we went we had those (fricking) van-taxis. We were hot and thristy and wanted to go, but Yes, we had to wait for it to fill up. Thanks for reminding me. Something to remember to DEFINITELY avoid this trip. (ps a really stupid question -have they converted all the cabs to vans? Hope not!!)

Thanks again
    coffeecups

12. the changing table AKA Christine:

did you fit 6 people in the rental car? Did they give you any problems about that? I ask because our family of 5 will be back to Cozumel this summer but we're bringing DD13's best buddie, so there will now be 6 of us. Costs for that many get high with taxis or with ship excursions, so renting a car may be our best bet. Just wanted to make sure we could get one for the 6 of us. thanks!!!!

13. ali38

ali38 Guest

My dh and I went to passion island in cozumel back in nov. we had a wonderful time. the beach was a beauty. we drank caronas and marguritas. we were there for only 3 hours, but it was worth it. read my review .

14. hi, we had NO problems with 6 in a rental. be aware that I did take a big chance NOT using a car seat though. I had a 15, 8, 3 and 1 yr old in the car with my mom and I (so four in the back).

We picked the rental because with our stuff and us, did not want to take chances with taxis and waiting on others because I know WE ARE A HANDFUL!!!

The hertz guy saw us all get in, no problems. Just reserve a 4 door! Good Luck!

christine

15. jester95008

jester95008 Guest

So the Monarch of the seas has destinations over on that end too huh... ? ;)

16. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

The Monarch cruise is out of California, LA I believe.... atleast thats what the Travel Agent told me :) weve decided that next year we'll try new things out on the other end of the country :)