• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best time of year for Northern Europe, Baltic, Russia cruise?

C

Corky

When is the Best time of year for Northern Europe, Baltic, Russia cruises? As in, the best weather, least rainiest, smoothest seas, etc. :)

We are looking at itineraries like the below:

Europe Cruises

Northern Europe - Baltic Cruises

Day Port Arrival Departure
1 London (Dover), England 5:00 PM

2 Paris/Normandy (Le Havre), France 7:00 AM 6:30 PM

3 Brussels/Bruges (Zeebrugge), Belgium 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

4 Amsterdam 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

5 At Sea

6 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

7 At Sea

8 Helsinki, Finland 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

9 St. Petersburg, Russia 7:00 AM 9:00 PM

10 Tallinn, Estonia 9:00 AM 3:00 PM

11 Stockholm, Sweden 7:00 AM

Emerald Isles & Russian Splendors

1 Stockholm, Sweden 5:00 PM

2 Helsinki, Finland 12:00 PM 5:00 PM

3 St. Petersburg, Russia 7:00 AM

4 St. Petersburg, Russia 6:00 PM

5 Tallinn, Estonia 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

6 At Sea

7 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

8 At Sea

9 Edinburgh (Rosyth), Scotland 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

10 At Sea

11 Barrow (Lake district),England 10:00 AM 9:15 PM

12 Dublin, Ireland 8:00 AM

13 Dublin, Ireland 5:00 AM 12:00 AM

Scandinavia & Russia w/Oslo Roundtrip Copenhagen 10 Days

1 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:00 PM

2 At Sea

3 Stockholm, Sweden 10:00 AM 5:00 PM

4 Helsinki, Finland 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

5 St. Petersburg, Russia 6:30 AM

6 St. Petersburg, Russia 6:00 PM

7 Tallinn, Estonia 7:00 AM 1:00 PM

8 Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

9 At Sea

10 Oslo, Norway 7:00 AM 2:00 PM

11 Copenhagen, Denmark 5:00 AM

Scandinavia & Russia w/Berlin Roundtrip Copenhagen 10 Days

1 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:00 PM

2 At Sea

3 Stockholm, Sweden 10:00 AM 5:00 PM

4 Helsinki, Finland 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

5 St. Petersburg, Russia 6:30 AM
6:00 PM
6 St. Petersburg, Russia

7 Tallinn, Estonia 7:00 AM 1:00 PM

8 Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

9 Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany 8:00 AM 10:00 PM

10 Helsingborg, Sweden 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

10 Copenhagen, Denmark 9:00 PM

11 Copenhagen, Denmark 5:00 AM 12:00 AM

Thnx!!

S

ShipMaven

Re: Best time of year for Northern Europe, Baltic, Russia cruise?

Late May, June, July, August.

C

Corky

Thnx, Shipmaven!! :thumb

C

Christoffer

Just like Shipmaven said.
But you never know with our weather. We have our good summers and we have our bad ones.
We have had few years ago two summers in row with perfect weather between May and September with almost no rain, just sun day after day which I like. Then we have had some really lousy summers almost throughout the whole summer so it is a little bit of gambling when talking of the weather.
If I could choose a cruise anytime during our summer months I would choose a cruise that take place between mid July and mid August.

C

Corky

Thnx Christoffer - that is perfect timing because that is when we want to come to that area. We are looking at itineraries, and are doing this in either 2010 or 2011...haven't decided yet. 2011 is our 30th wedding anniversary...so maybe then, but I am impatient and want to do it 2010!! :lol

C

Cyndi

Corky,
We went on the Scandinavia & Russia w/Oslo Roundtrip Copenhagen 10 Days cruise Aug 08 and we had wonderful weather. Loved every minute, and if you have any questions, just PM me. We were on the Crown Princess:thumb, it was fantastic!

N

nieciez

Sweet itineraries Corky :thumb

L

Lisa63

Great itineraries! How about one in 2010 and one in 2011? We're thinking similar itineraries for mid-July/mid-August 2011.

B

Boat boy

We did the Baltic Cruise July 14th-22nd and the weather was great. Keep in mind that the sun almost never sets when you are that far north in the baltic. We saw many of the people sunbathing during this time of year. We had no rain and very calm seas.

C

Corky

Cindy - I will PM you once we get it banged out. It will be awhile though as we are just in the planning stages and need to spend more time picking the Best one! :thumb Thanks so much for your offer.

Thnx, Nieciez!

Lisa63 - let's stay in touch for the 2011 time frame, maybe we'll end up on the same ship. I think for 2010 my DH wants to go Land Based somewhere, like Costa Rica... but, we've just this weekend decided we are going to Europe for a cruise...so we have to pow-wow some more about it.

L

Lisa63

Will do, Corky. We've become Europe-addicts, in a way. We did a 12-night cruise on Celebrity Century to Norway in July 2007, plus several days in Amsterdam, and that got us hooked. Our next two bookings are for Europe -- British Isles in July 2009 and Western Mediterranean in April 2010. We are seriously thinking about a Baltic itinerary for 2011... we'd go sooner if it weren't for the cost of airfare for three. Planning for these cruises is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. There are so many places to visit.

C

Corky

Lisa - we hope to fly into Amsterdam first and spend a few days there and then head up to Copenhagen and catch the ship. Hopefully it all works out for us. I know what you mean about becoming a Euope-addict, and I know we will as well. :D

B

Boat boy

You need to pick a cruise that gives you the maximum time in St Petersburg. One day is simply not do-able and even two days is a stretch. There is just way too much to see to not give it as much time as possible. Our cruise spent three days there. I can help you determine exactly what to see to maximize your port of call when you visit this unbelivable city.

C

Corky

Boat boy said:
You need to pick a cruise that gives you the maximum time in St Petersburg. One day is simply not do-able and even two days is a stretch. There is just way too much to see to not give it as much time as possible. Our cruise spent three days there. I can help you determine exactly what to see to maximize your port of call when you visit this unbelivable city.
Thank you Boat boy - we are looking at itineraries that have 2 days in St. Petersburg...I agree with you and we wouldn't pick one where we only had 1 day. Once we've picked our cruise, I will take you up on your offer for the help while visiting there. Thnx for the offer!! :)

One that we are really interested in also has Berlin & Poland in it. And they all have Helsinki...can't go and not possibly see our friends Tero & Christoffer!

Thnx again!

B

Boat boy

Must sees while in St. Petersburg: (In order of Importance)
Hermitage (you could spend a whole day there)
Catherine's Palace (not too far away is a great restaurant called,: "Dacha Terem".
Peterof Grand Palace (most unbelievable fountains all gravity fed from surrounding hill/mountains)
Church of the Savior of Spilled Blood
St. Isaac's Cathedral
St Peter and Paul Fortress and Cathedral (Tomb of "Peter the Great")
Yusupov Palace (Rasputin Murdered there)

Any other questions, let me know.

Boat Boy

C

Corky

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I've copied and pasted into my Itinerary folder. :)

Some questions:

How do you get into the main city? Are taxi's readily available?

Also, to get into all of the museums and palaces...can one buy a Pass or something of the sort or do you just pay an entry fee upon arrival at each place.

Where do you get Russian money at or will my American $$'s work?

Thanks again for your assistance!

B

Boat boy

I would hire a tour guide that would help me with all those questions. I know that you pay more in entry fees if you are going to be taking pictures. They will pick you up at the dock and take you to the sites and walk with you and explain all of what you are seeing. This is how we did it but I was not in charge of hiring the guide. What I've done in the past, is posted my cruise on Cruise-addicts, Cruisereviews, etc... and found people going on my cruise and then we agreed to hire the guide and split the costs. We also have made some good friends this way. Since you can get lost at the Hermitage, I would ask the guide to take you to the most impressive 40 displays and talk about them. Something really neat is that at the Hermitage, there are student artists with easels set up and they are painting free hand the master's pieces and most look better than the real painting ! A lot of talent there.

C

Corky

Thank you...I've made notes of what you said. I really do appreciate your help. :)