Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Can you change person cruising?

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by chrismarois, May 5, 2010.

1. chrismarois

chrismarois Active Member

Hello. I am hoping to get a quick answer to this question. I have booked a cruise for a Group of 6 people on Royal Caribbean that will leave on May 15th, 2010 (~15 days) One of the people that was going just started dating a new guy who is not going, and now she is not wanting to go. I know its to late for a refund, but can I find someone else that can go and change the reservation to them? If yes is there a fee? Any information you can provide about this situation would be great. I dont want to leave $1000 up in the air if possible. Thank you so much.

Chris Marois

2. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

*Generally*...

the person who wants to back out is in penalty period and must pay the penalty. No insurance (if insurance was taken) covers changing boyfriends. There usually is a fee to change a name on a booking, and the new person will have to pay the current rate, IF a change is allowed. This can't wait until the last minute because of Security. If the one person backs out, not only will she pay the penalty amount, but the person remaining solo in the cabin will be charged the single rate. I know - it's double dipping.

My suggestion is to have your travel agent call Royal Caribbean to see what can be done, and if you don't have a TA, then YOU need to call Royal Caribbean.

Good luck.

3. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

Great info Maryann,, thanks for posting

4. MisterD21

MisterD21 If you take me serious, it's your problem

Sadly, you are late in the refund/postpone dates. I'm not sure anything can be done at this late venture. Like ShipMaven said.. if there is going to be an empty cabin or single occupant, they will have to pay single rate.. unless she sails alone, and he simply fails to make the cruise(which would still result in the single rate fare). If neither sails the room is un occupied and RCI might issue an onboard credit perhaps. But i think the sail date is too close for even that.

Good luck ... maybe RCI will come through for you...

5. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

And ... A couple months from now, she'll have changed boyfriends and still not have cruised.

6. Billoats

Billoats Well-Known Member

So true Calgon !! Poor decision on her part.

7. nieciez

nieciez Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

She should cruise anyway as this was a trip planned before the relationship. The boyfriend will be there when she gets back AND if he has a problem with it then shame on him and he wasn't worth her time to begin with.:doubledown:

8. chrismarois

I agree 100%. Who gives up a 9 day caribbean vacation because someone you have known for only a few weeks doesnt want you to go? This has put a huge stain on me as the planner of the trip for 6. I have called and talked to Royal and they told me that I could switch the persons name with no fee. Because I booked through a TA I have to contact them to do the name change. The girl that decided not to go can not get any refund, so we gave the trip to another friend who now feels like she hit the lottery!! I can not imagine being asked to go on a 9 day cruise for free in 14 days. HAHAHA At least someone made out in this situation!! I will post back when I speak with the TA and describe the process and any fees associated with the change from my TA. Thank you all for the advice.

9. nieciez

Hope it all works out for you.....did you have to make "air" arrangements for the new girl or are you driving?

10. chrismarois

I live in Norfolk and I am leaving out of Norfolk :) That was the only easy part of this whole trip so far. I am literally 5 mins from the cruise port. Thank you so much nieciez.

11. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

I don't know if your description might be confusing. This close to sailing if the person backs out then there is no refund, but there is also no additional fee for the other person in the cabin.

That said, you may be able to make the change, but there will be a change fee. When I did this, sailing on Carnival, not Royal Caribbean, the fee was $50.

As to weather the person backing out should reimburse the person who paid for the cruise, that is up those individuals, the cruise line will not get involved in that.

All of that said, this still assumes a lot. It assumes there are only two people in each cabin and it assumes the person backing out did not pay for the cruise.

12. Calgon1

Passport ?

13. Mbandy

Mbandy Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb for all cruise lines is that one person must remain in a booking at all times. That is to say you can't call one day and change one name and call back tomorrow to change the other. That would be considered a cancellation.

Carnival charges $50 to change a name after final payment. I think that's way too high because it is an easy task. Takes only a few seconds. They don't charge to change a name if it is misspelled. Royal Caribbean and most other lines do not charge to change a name.

14. nieciez

Not required Calgon since this cruise begins and ends in Norfolk....though we seasoned cruisers know it is better to have one just in case.

15. chrismarois

Wow. So this was a piece of cake. I called and talked to another travel agent at the agency I booked through. (My TA had been fired) I told them I need to change a name on the cruise, and they told me no problem. It took about 6 minutes on the phone. There was no fee to do this name change. I was told that she didn't need a passport because the cruise leaves so soon, and to just have her bring a birth certificate and a photo ID.

So basically the girl that backed out of the cruise paid in full for the lucky new girl. Why cant I have free cruises offered to me??!! Haha

Thank you so much for you help everyone. I am fairly new to this board and it is clear there are some very nice helpful people here.

Chris Marois

16. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

You think Carnival charges too much? You should see how much the government charges for a name change. And believe me, it takes a lot more than a few seconds for the government to process a name change.

17. chrismarois

This comment doesn't make sense...The government charges more because as you said it takes them a long time. The other poster was saying that the name change only takes 2 seconds to do, why does Carnival feel the need to charge $50 for this quick and easy task.

Having just done this for free with Royal I would agree that $50 is to much for a simple name change.

18. Calgon1

Because they can ...

19. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Well-Known Member

chrismarois

Next time you have a "Free" cruise - just post - I am sure one of us would be happy to go! lol

Enjoy and glad it all worked out for you!

20. chrismarois

In my opinion needless fees these days are a quick clue that you should avoid that company. If most cruise lines off this service for free, and you know that Carnival will charge you it should be a clear sign that their corporate strategy is to nickel and dime you. I now know that Carnival charges for a simple name change and will therefor no longer consider them when reserving cruises. Simple solution right? :)