Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Caribbean Cruise

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Anett, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Anett

Anett New Member

Can anyone tell me what's the weather like in the Caribbean at Christmas time? We are travelling from Australia, the flight alone costs a fortune, so we want to make sure everything about our cruise is perfect. We really would prefer warm temperatures. The question is should we go east or west and what are the temperatures like? I am grateful for any suggestion.

2. connie seabee

connie seabee Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Hello Anett

As for the weather in Dec, this is the first time that we will be cruising that time of year. I did a little research and it is usually in the low 80's, but one never knows for sure. Perhaps someone will come along who been in the Caribbean and will let us know.

We have done Western, and Eastern several times, also we have done a Southern Carribean cruise. All of the ports have something to offer. Do you enjoy beaches and snorkeling? St Thomas has many beaurtiful beaches. Snorkeling. We did a day sail to St John while there. We also took a ferry over to St John's Trunk Bay. We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park. A cab ride to town for some shopping is fun. Sting Ray encounter is fun in Grand Cayman. Jamaica, we love the white river water tubing. We also have done the Island tour.

We've been to on the Eastern cruises more than the Western, but both are nice.

Check out the ports of call, and see what interests you most. Good luck!

3. X281710

X281710 New Member

I live in Puerto Rico. The weather is great at Christmas time. No higher than 85 usually and no lower than 72. It gets a little colder as January approaches and the breeze may make you feel temperatures about 5 degrees lower, but overall I would recommend a light sweater and a big stuffier one and you should be good. Beaches are enjoyable year round. Bring sunscreen ;-)

4. againin13

againin13 New Member

Last year (2013) December 15, out of Miami on the Pearl, we went to great stirrup K, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel Mexico. You could not have asked for better weather, it was absolutely perfect. When we went to great stirrup K later in the afternoon we did have Highwinds and it was rough tendering back to the ship and they canceled the parasailing, around 4 o'clock in the afternoon we had about 15 minutes of rain. It was an absolute perfect cruise time. But as it is anywhere ,the weather is unpredictable. We've been very lucky. I've only three times, so far, October 10 and weather was perfect, November 15 also perfect, then December 15 again perfect. You will have an absolutely wonderful time.

5. BruinSteve

BruinSteve Well-Known Member

We, generally, go every year around Christmas/New Years since my wife works for a school district and gets a three week "Winter Break" at that time...

The weather is typically excellent that time of the year--warm, but not too hot and muggy...and past the hurricane season...

Prices over the holidays, of course, can get a bit higher...

As to which itinerary, consider what it is YOU like to see and do...
    There are many ports and many different itineraries...

If you enjoy snorkling, scuba, water sports and beaches, the Eastern routes can be your answer...
    If you'd rather see things with historical and archaeological significance, the Western routes have more of interest--in the way of some fantastic Mayan ruins...

Also, different islands have different character--mostly depending on which colonial power owned or still owns them...Some are French, some Spanish, some Dutch, some British and some American...In my humble opinion, it's never good to be too repetitive in ports...

Also, look at the number of port days vs. sea days...

We love cruising on Royal Caribbean's larger, newer ships--but most of those make only three port stops, none too exciting...the allure of the Allure, for example, is the ship, not the itinerary...But the ship is sensational...

But, OTOH, if you want to see a lot of the Caribbean, my advice is to take a cruise that goes out of San Juan rather than out of Florida...Since they don't waste a lot of time getting to and fro, they tend to have more ports...We've been on 7 night cruises out of San Juan that make a port stop on all but one day...Plus, you can extend the cruise a day or two staying in San Juan and enjoying a little of Puerto Rico...

Good luck...

6. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

The temperature in the Caribbean tends to be in the 80s year round. The lower 80s in the winter time and the upper 80s in the summer time. Just remember, here in the northern hemisphere, Christmas time is winter time.