Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

carnival got my goat

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by Helen233, Jun 24, 2004.

1. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

Sodey,

When I was part of a "RIGHT SIZING" by the 500 fortune company I had worked for, for 11 years, it took almost a year and a half to find a job. Reason, I was 'over qualified' or due to the nature of the specific skills used by that company was unable to transfer those skills. In fact, I knew how to type about 30 words per minute, and when I walked into one of those "temporary companies for a typing job, I was made to wait until I left. It was NOT funny when an older female walked in and was immediately helped to get a job because she could type 17 words per minute.

I was finally hired by a manager of a new Sav-a-Center as stock clerk and I could hear the other workers referring to me as 'the old man clerk' (i was only 43).

Oh and then there was the interview that went fantastic until I made the mistake of showing my resume- wish i had taped that conversation for age discrimination.

While things have changed and I have a teaching job, I feel for those who are laid off.
    ESPECIALLY MALE OVER FOURTY BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO MINORITY STATUS.

coffeecups

Post Edited (06-30-04 21:31)

2. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

Sorry Sodey, didn't mean to jump on you,

but you just happenned to hit a nerve of mine that took over 4 years to get heal. The experience put an entirely new look at the term "RAGE". For a few years, until the stock clerk, security guard and finally teaching, I really thought that I would never find a GOOD job again. I really am lucky that I was able to get back in education.

3. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Hard one to figure sodey.. The first thing out of there mouths should be something in english. This actually frightened me. I heard a report on our local news station that apparently within a matter of decades, english will no longer be the dominant language rigtht here in the US.

I believe too that this is an inevitable eventuality. God I miss the days driving around in my Dad's 69 Torino, listening to country music, gas was 80 cents. LIfe sure was a lot cleaner and simpler. And we even got some who speaks english in customer service

4. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

Alot of these calls go overseas.You may be talking to someone in india.Cheaper labor.

5. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Yea but what good is it if we can't understand what the heck their saying? It's almost cheaper in frustration just to junk it and get a new product. Break open the box, plug it in and i"m on my way.

6. Sodey

Sodey Guest

There are a lot of things I could say but I'll just hold it in.

I interview 4 to 5 people every week. I'm amazed at the lack of talent and ambition.

That doesn't mean you coffeecups.

In fact I'm always looking for 40 something males with huge responsibilities and financial obligations (family, mortgage, etc...) because they have to make a certain amount or they can't live as they have grown accustomed to living.

But, I am always looking for 20's not 80's

20% of the people do 80% of the production

Characteristics of a 20:
    1. They read books consistantly
    2. They know a lot of people and refer business to them
    3.They have personal goals written down

7. cruisegary

cruisegary Guest

I am laughing hard over the "somebody took my goat" comment.

I am crying even harder on the state of this country when it comes to hiring good people. People that want to do what they tell you in the interview. We interview, we screen, we hire. A few weeks later they don't want to work, or want to skip a few days, etc. etc.

As to getting something fixed at Carnival, wherever. Hang in there. Eventually you get somebody with a brain.

8. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

:lol well, it's sure nice to end on an up note

9. coffeecups

coffeecups Guest

Sodey, thanks, I do understand.

Now for all, the quality of education in the US is also going down. A lot has not to do so much with mutliculturing the kids in school, but in lowering the standards. I work in a school system where a student can have an F average and pass because of 'quality points'.

Have any of you read the newspaper lately and NOT found a grammatical or punctuation error at least once? I mean big mistakes that change the meaning of the sentence? I'm not an ace in English or was in college, but today I feel like it.

I do also agree that there is a possibility that some of those carnival reps may be in India or somewhere NOT in the US.

Well anyway, I'm still ready to forget this stuff and cruise again. Any one has a winning lottery ticket I can have?

coffeecups

10. turkeyman

turkeyman Guest

I don't have the winning lottery ticket, but there's a palm reader down on Poydras that might give you some numbers.