Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Carnival not docking in Grand Cayman.

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by rhen33, Sep 17, 2004.

1. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

Carnival is not docking in Grand Cayman due to recent storms. They may replace with another port.They are working on rebuilding and hope to be docking by Oct.Any questions contact carnival @888-carnival.

2. serene56

serene56 Guest

With the extensive damages I wonder if it will be opened in a few weeks. (I have read on that web page that the place where we tendered...(church street) was all gone. So they even have to rebuild the dock where passengers are let off.
    I do believe since Cayman gets money from tourist dollars this is a port that wont be setting empty for a long period.

3. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

serene, This is one of my stops in Oct.Hope it`s up by then. I will check before we leave.

4. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Hey girl!!

Well robin...I hate to be the bearer of bad news here BUT---------------------> It'll be about 6 mos before the entire island has juice again. :(

It's been devistated

5. herb

herb Guest

Grand Cayman is one of those ports you're lucky to stop at even when the sun is shining!!

The islands are surrounded by very shallow reefs and that's why so often when it is windy or just "not the greatest" weather the ships cannot go near the island.

6. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Tis nice they are protecting the reefs though. :thumb

7. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

8. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

9. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

10. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

11. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

12. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Sorry for the repeat posts. sometimes these puters do redicuous things. I got a white screen and a communications failure and now I see it posted once for everytime I hit post.

13. herb

herb Guest

Ken, you must really love those reefs :lol

14. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

Ken, we need to call you Pete and your other brother Repete.

15. loopy

loopy Guest

Per Carnival at 12:30p Central time on 9/17/04 that there are already ships going into Grand Cayman now and they expect it to return all ships with Carnival within the next few weeks.

I was also thanked for coming straight to the horses mouth...hehe.

16. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

Good to know thanks loopy. I talked to them this am.

17. serene56

serene56 Guest

Hmm, thats strange-
    How do ships go there if the dock is missing? And what is there to do there if things are destroyed?

_____
    This is direct off a page from Grand Cayman/

Grand Cayman was heavily hit by Hurricane Ivan, our Island's damage was extensive. Power lines are 75% damaged, phone lines about the same, 50 to 60% of all buildings have been damaged, 30% of buildings have been totally destroyed, out office looks like a bomb went off inside, most vessels are damaged (2 can be found in front of our office, and no, we are not on the water) few cars survived, luckily no deaths have been reported.

It has only been 4 days, but to the many people whom have stayed behind it feels as 20 years have passed. Your cruise liner will not be visiting Grand Cayman any time soon (more on that later) the Port is closed, all inbound flights (tourism) have been cancelled, evacuation flights are currently operated by Embassies & Cayman Airways, only Cargo flights are allowed to enter Grand Cayman.

Our Cayman Staff is o.k., Jarred and Sherry are shell shocked. Jarred is dreaming of cold beer, Sherry is offering free excursions for all in trade for a shower . Our Cayman Office, which is also our Billing Office will be down for sometime being another reasons for this Post. We are currently working with our bank in order to be able to issue the refunds as soon as possible.

_____

Now I am wondering if you say the ships are going there---are they just docked outside with no people going in there??

18. rhen33

rhen33 Guest

Serene, I just spoke to carnival and they are not going to cayman.

19. serene56

serene56 Guest

Loopy also spoke to Carnival and was told they are there now-

Am I missing something? Now Im soooo confused.

20. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

:lol

And that's just one :lol

I guess this makes up for all the times I'd wish I'd dock in Grand Cayman! :lol :grin