Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Carnival screwing us on original deal

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by BahamaMama, Apr 15, 2004.

1. BahamaMama

BahamaMama Guest

Has anyone else had any trouble booking directly with Carnival? We called Carnival to book our cruise with one of their "Personal Vacation Planners", and what the gentleman quoted us on the phone and what they billed us were two different things. We were charged more than $400.00 than we originally agreed upon. When we called to go over this with him we were told that he would make the adjustments. When we realized that no adjustments were made, and called him again we were told that he was let go and the new "Personal Vacation Planner" knew nothing of our original deal and said it was our word against his. He said he needed to go over everything with his supervisor and he would call with the results in a couple of days. Well, needless to say we haven't heard back yet. Whenever you call them you end up having to leave a message, or if you are lucky enough to get through (hardly ever happens) they say they have to run it past their supervisor and they will get back to you. For such a big, supposedly reputable company, this is no way to be doing business. Just wanted to know if anyone else had any problems with their bills. Like added on charges etc.

2. mbres60

mbres60 Guest

I used them for my last cruise and had no problem. If you used a pvp and not a regular reservation rep then I would call the main number for pvp's and ask to speak with a supervisor. If you had just called 888 carnival then you used a reservationist and I would call that number and ask to speak w/a supervisor. Don't leave a message with your new agent. Hope this helps! Please update us and let us know what happened.

3. maw

maw Guest

This is one of the reasons so many use TA. They can go to bat and watch these types of things. One thing many forget the price quoted often does not include the port charges and taxes.which are usually abt the amount you mentioned.

4. HI, WELL THIS IS MY 1ST REAL CRUISE THIS MONTH- I WENT ON A CRUISE TO NOWHERE LIKE 12 YEARS AGO....BUT I BOOKED THROUGH CARNIVAL - PVP... AND HE HAS BEEN AWESOME! HE EVEN LET ME SWITCH OUR 1 OV ROOM FOR 2 LARGER INTERIOR ROOMS NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND A LITTLE SHIPBOARD CREDIT. DECIDED IT WOULD BE NICE WITH THE KIDS TO HAVE 2 ROOMS- ONE FOR LUGGAGE...AND THE ADDED BONUS OF HAVING 2 SHOWERS IN INVALUABLE..... I GOT HIM ALL BY ACCIDENT WHEN INQUIRING ABOUT A CRUISE WITH A GROUP OF FRIENDS FOR THE SUMMER- HE EMAILED ME LATER THAT DAY WITH A 5 DAY/4 NIGHT CRUISE $189 PP/ DISCOUNT FOR 3RD, 4TH AND 5TH....
    I CALLED AND EXPECTED TO BE HUGELY UPSOLD AND OVERCHARGED...WAS VERY SKEPTICAL. HE WAS TRUE TO HIS WORD ON THE BILLING/ DOCS/ ETC AND HAS ANSWERED HIS PHONE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE MILLION TIMES I HAVE CALLED...1ST TIME CRUISER- RESPONDED TO EMAILS...ETC. WE ARE JUST DOING THE SHORT BAJA THING TO SEE HOW THE KIDS DO BEFORE WE GO THROUGH THE EXPENSES AND EXPERIMENT OF FLYING TO FLORIDA AND GOING TO THE CARRIBEAN LIKE WE REALLY WANT. I DIDN'T EXPECT MUCH FOR THE $, $1100. FOR 2 ROOMS, 5 GUESTS.... HAVEN'T GONE YET - BUT PVP HAS BEEN GREAT.
    I WOULD CALL AND GET SOMEONE ELSE TO HELP YOU. DO YOU HAVE ANY EMAILS WITH THE QUOTE?

5. I SHOULD THAT ADD THAT WHEN I SAID THAT I DIDN'T EXPECT MUCH- I MEAN WELL, WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR RIGHT....AND THAT MY HUSBAND AND I ARE NOT AT ALL "HIGH MAINTENANCE" PEOPLE...WE STAY AT 5 STAR RESORTS AND THEN WE STAY AT THE AVERAGE RUN OF THE MILL PLACES TOO...AND WE HAVE FUN....WE CAN EAT LOBSTER AND SHIP CHAMPAGNE...OR EAT AT CARROWS FOR BREAKFAST AND ENJOY THAT TOO....JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD EXPLAIN...AS ONE THING I KNOW IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN ANY TRVAL OR OTHER EXPERIENCE IS ATTITUDE....WE WE WILL HAVE FUN!

6. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

First,,,,, please do not use capitals on your posting.....thank you.

Second:
    We have been on one cruise, but have two more waiting, in the next 8 months...never used a TA, always through the cruise line. Two with Carnival and one with HAL. I've been following the threads on this website and a couple of others and those that use TA's seem to have as much trouble as those that go directly through the cruise line.

We have had no problem getting price reductions on two of the cruises where the price has dropped. We didn't hear anything excuses from the peson on the 1-800 number, and we did not use a PVP.

Just my experiences dealing with cruise lines the past year.

Jim

7. cruisingator

cruisingator Guest

I have booked though Carnival several times and each time my PVP has faxed the invoice to me while we were still on the phone so that I could look everything over to insure that I agreed with the charges. I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor first thing and explain to them once again what happened.

8. Sodey

Sodey Guest

This is why I record EVERY conversation I have on the phone. It is very easy to do if you have the right software. My office phone system also has this cabability where I can e-mail the conversation to Carnival (or whoever) or just play it back to them while on the phone. This has saved me tens of thousands of dollars over the years as I negotiate prices with reps all the time.

9. 50girl

50girl Guest

I also went direct with Carnival and had some problems. The first problem was I used my debit card for my deposit. They were supposed to take $400 for the deposit, but instead took $800. Had I used my credit card, this wouldn't have been such a big deal but since the money came out of my checking account, it was. It took four weeks of phone calls to get my $400 back into my account. I had to call twice a week. The Carnival rep that I would usually talk to, kept saying she would call me back but never did. The second problem I had was that I requested a guaranteed OV room. There was never any discussion about an inside room - I'm not interested in an inside room as I'm slightly claustrophobic. When I got my first bill, it showed I had an inside room. When I called the rep back, they said they could give me the ov room but the rate had gone up $20 since I first called and that would be the rate they would give me. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told they didn't allow that. At this point I was seriously thinking about scrapping the whole trip as I wasn't feeling very good about Carnival. I decided to go anyway, and we leave in 10 days. I'm just really hoping the people on the ship are more professional than the people I dealt with on the phone.

10. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

Bahamama,

Thanks for sharing this info!

This is why I am so loyal to my Travel Agent! It really does not cost more to have one and you don't have to worry about a thing. I strongly suggest you find a travel agent and have your reservation transferred to them so that they can look into this for you. They'll do it because Carnival will pay them commission! Otherwise you'll have to spend endless hours on the phone, and time is money!

And JimLinaf, Maybe that person is not able to see well! I too used to get irritated with people who wrote all caps all the time, but somepeople can't see the little letters and use caps. Chill!

Good luck Bahamama!

11. BahamaMama

BahamaMama Guest

Wow, 50girl, seems like we are having the same expierience! Spoke to our PVP yesterday (we had to call him) and guess what, still doesn't have an answer for us. These people have got to be kidding. We feel like we are dealing with car salesmen who have to keep running everything past their managers and they go around in circles with figures to confuse you till you say ok. Well it's not ok. We are out money (not port charges, taxes or tips) because all of the sudden they don't seem to want to honor the promotional deal that the first PVP gave us. What a way to do business. You fire someone and all the customers he was working on get screwed because he is not there to set the record straight. He even put us on hold to have his supervisor ok our deal. Now the new PVP wants the supervisors name to verify all this. Well we don't know the supervisors name. Shouldn't Carnival know who the first, now fired, PVP's supervisor was???? Cruised on Royal Caribbean 3 years ago and had no problems what so ever. This has been such a bad expierience. It seems nobody at Carnival knows what anyone else is doing. We are shoked at how this is being handled. And to top it off, the online bill has an added $100.00 on it under Admin. fees. Go figure!

12. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

What's an online bill?

Again, please consider getting a TA. They are able to take over any Carnival booking and they'll fight for you...

13. Cole617

Cole617 Guest

I booked directly with Carnival last time and could not have been happier. I tried someone new this time....see how it goes...so far so good. I think we got a great deal....Miracle Balcony Gty $1,060 pp.....sound good?

14. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

That's a fantastic deal Cole67!

Let us know how it went.

15. glamatomic

glamatomic Guest

Carnival has screwed me over SO much with my bookings also. Finally I think it is all sorted out though, but yeah their customer service is hopeless. I work as a customer service rep for a major corporation myself, so I guess I have high expectations of service because of my background... but even so, they don't seem to keep promises very well, and they make SO many mistakes with the bookings. Tsk. Hopeless much. All the same though, I can't wait to go on the cruise later this year, once I'm finally on the boat I'll be HAPPY!!!

16. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

Unless I'm mistaken your screen size can be adjusted for sight impaired people.

So chill

Jim

17. imlulu

imlulu Guest

Why don't you just switch your booking to a TA or if within penalty period cancel it?

18. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

We booked directly through Carnival this time for the first time. My TA retired just before we were ready to book this. We are on the Conquest May 2nd. There are 10 of us (5 couples), and our PVP has been great. He is always helpful when I call him. One call just a while back, he told me that the price had dropped and he automatically gave all of us credit. Last call he told us we had been upgraded 2 categories, and probably will be upgraded again before we sail.
    I even talked to another PVP yesterday because I had a couple of questions and our regular guy was out for the day. She was very helpful, and answered everything even though she didn't book us. I have no complaints with them.

I think maybe you just got a PVP who was too preoccupied or something. Maybe they were new and didn't want to admit they had goofed. I hope you get it all straightened out soon. Don't give up!!

19. lizerbug

lizerbug Guest

I had no problem at all. The girl that helped me was awesome! Her name was Lisa and she gave me a number and her extention so that I could call her anytime for any reason. Give her a call and I'll bet she will be able to help you. 1-800-438-6744 extention 33105. Good luck.

20. CruisingDiva

CruisingDiva Guest

My husband is a Major in the army and this year the cruiselines have given all active duty and retired military members incredible deals on cruises. We have booked an 8 day cruise on the Carnival Legend in November for $620 per person 8A balcony gty, port charges and taxes included and $299 for our 12 year old daughter. We thought this was an awesome deal.

I say this to say, a really good friend of mine (also a military spouse) called Carnival direct to book a cruise for this September. She got a PVP she thought was excellent. She told me what they had discussed and that she booked her first cruise with him.

Well let me tell you, this guy took my friend for a serious ride. Playing on her ignorance of cruising, he conned her into getting TWO rooms instead of one. One room for her and her husband and a second room for her two children. These were inside cabins mind you. Well first of all, her children are two girls, ages 8 years old and 15 months old. Secondly, he charged her $3200, supposably this included her military discount. Third, he asked for a $1000 deposit and he charged her credit card $1500. I asked her why did she have to pay $1000 deposit and not $750. She said the PVP told her each person had to pay $250 down. I told her I didn't think her 15 month old had to pay anything at all.

My friend was very upset about the money, but when I told her ALL of the mistakes made, she flew off the deep end. She quickly cancelled with Carnival and the PVP and called my travel agent. The TA gave her an awesome deal and she is very happy with the outcome.

Post Edited (04-18-04 04:39)