• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Carribean Cruise-which itinerary?

KD21

Family cruise in Aug. with children 7 and 10. This will be our first cruise. We are sailing Royal. Itinerary choices: Western Carribean-Cozumel; Ochos Rios, Jamaica; Grand Cayman and Labadee (RC private island ) or Eastern Carribean- St. Thomas, St. Maarten, CocoCay Bahamas. Which would be best with/for the kids?

Mbandy

I like the Western Caribbean the best but either would be fine, especially for first timers. Royal Caribbean is a great choice.

KD21

Mbandy:
Thanks for the reply. We currently have the Eastern booked but were considering changing to Western-possibly more excursions for the kids. Can you be more specific as to why you prefer Western?

KD21

Well, our only vacations have been to Florida-Disney, Epcot, Sea World, water parks. We aren't beach goers as we spend our summers by our pool. The kids enjoy rides, swimming, looking for shells, animals, music.

Mbandy

Mbandy:
Thanks for the reply. We currently have the Eastern booked but were considering changing to Western-possibly more excursions for the kids. Can you be more specific as to why you prefer Western?

In my experience, the water in whe Western Caribbean is usually crystal clear and makes for better snorkeling. The Yucatan Peninsula is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world also making for great snorkeling.

I would choose the Eastern. I've been to Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman on the western part and St. Thomas & St. Maarten on the eastern part.

Grand Cayman would be a great place for the kids (we snorkled with the stingrays). It was very laid back and I would love to return there again one day. However, I would never in a million years recommend Ocho Rios.

We went for our honeymoon. I didn't care where else we went as long as we went to Jamaica as i'd always wanted to go there. Turns out, I hated it and couldn't wait to leave. The drivers drive like maniacs, the ppl hocking their wares would not leave you alone and having to visit a shopping centre inside a guarded security fence did not really give me that safe place to visit vibe lolol. Oh and the repeated warnings by ship personnel to not accept any "packages" from anyone etc.

We *did* enjoy going to Dunn's River Falls, so that was nice. I'm not sure how old they have to be to climb the falls though but it was very enjoyable during that portion of our visit.

I really hope my experience was the exception and that Ocho Rios isn't as bad as i thought. It was 13 years ago too. Who knows, things might have changed. All i can do is give my personal experience and hope maybe others can imput theirs as well.

As far as the other itinerary, I can't comment much as we only did some shopping at the pier in St. Thomas and we spent the day on the beach drinking Big Black Bananas and swimming in the ocean right near the pier in St. Maarten. Both were enjoyable though.

Mbandy

I really hope my experience was the exception and that Ocho Rios isn't as bad as i thought. It was 13 years ago too. Who knows, things might have changed. All i can do is give my personal experience and hope maybe others can imput theirs as well.
No, nothing has changed. The experience you mention is pretty much the way of it. Wouldn't keep me from going back though.