• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Celebrity versus Royal Caribbean

J

jsh

We are considering Adventure of the Seas going to Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin and St. Thomas. We have recently been on the Celebrity Summit and Infinity and were very happy with the entire cruise experience. We are wondering if we will be as happy on Royal Caribbean? We chose this cruise for the itinerary but according quite a few opinions on these boards, Celebrity seems to be better for food and service. Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way we do not like noisy party ships. Thank you.

C

CruzTerri

jsh - I'm not touting one line over the other. In fact, I've not sailed Celebrity (yet), however, reviews are opinions. While one may not like say the food, another would. All depends on your tastes. Only you can answer that.

Hubby and I are not picky, we go with the flow. Not one individual thing makes or breaks a cruise for us. It's the overall experience. A longer cruise tends to have older people and may, I said may, tend to be more sedate. Also, if you cruise at a time when school is in session, you'll probably not have as many kids on board as you would during school breaks, etc.

I've heard people, while on board, complain about the entertainment one night. My thought was, well, no one made you stay and listen? They were free to remove themselves and do something else. Restaurants with large menus don't always get everything right. So if you order something you don't care for, ask for something else. Your waiter wants you to have something that you like, not stick you with something you don't.

We try to go without pre-judgments. Have fun, enjoy, relax, don't sweat it.

Whichever line you choose, have a great time!

M

Me@sea

I personally have not been on Celebrity yet either. Although wouldn't mind trying it. I think you need to try it out yourself before you take another ones word on the likes or dislikes of the ship. Everyone has there own opinion. I agree with Terri about making a vacation what it is... One thing can't ruin a vacation for us. So if you have read the reviews and still want to try it. I say go for it.. I am sure you won't reqret it.
Hope you have the time of your life>>>>

B

BSeaBob

Been on both lines and several ships each. You will not notice a lot of difference. But it always depends on your waiters and the rest of the staff you deal with during your complete cruise.

J

judy

Been on both.
Found Celebrity to be a little more upscale. The food was fantastic but we enjoyed the RCCL food too.
It all depends on the length of the cruise and the time of the year you sail as to the makeup of the passengers. Don't take a cruise during school breaks and you won't have the "wilder" crowds. Also the longer the cruise the better. We've taken 4 day cruises that were mayhem, and 11 day cruises were were wonderful.

M

maria

I have always cruised on Celebrity, and have extremely enjoyed our cruises, but for the first time we will be sailing on RCL Brilliance. I am also hoping we have made the right choice when I read some of the reviews. We have talk 4 of our friends into coming with us to the Med. This will be their first cruise. But true the cruise is what you yourself make of it. It amazes me that people can write a review about the same cruise and one will have a great time while the other will do nothing but complain. Whatever your choice have a great time.

L

LjeanBrown

I prefer Celebrity. We have cruised on RCI 8 times and Celebrity 4. For us Celebrity is a notch above in service and in everything overall. Yes it is just our humble opinion, but that is what you wanted to know. I am not saying don't cruise RCI, just that we like one more than the other. Would we sail RCI again, yes, maybe, I'm not sure and we are already booked for March on the Radiance. We are rethinking it at this time, we really are not sure we made the right choice for us. RCI has cut back on service in some area's, we were told it was because of 9/11. That did not sit well with us, which is why we are considering changing our cruise for March. We have cruised Celebrity twice since 9/11 and have not noticed any change in their service, it is still great.

Laurie :candle

2cruzenutz

JSH...we were on AOS in Feb. doing the itin you're considering, and had a wonderfull cruise. We'll be on her again in 8 weeks. We've not sailed Celebrity, so can't make a comparison. Our first cruise was on RCI, and we got the @ddiction with them. So far they have not given us a reason to change. The service has always been very good, and the food is good to very good. Didn't see any drop-off in service after 9-11.

Bottom line is that for most folks, a cruise is what you make it. We go with an attitude that we WILL have fun, and avoid folks that are negative. Smooth sailing!!

B

Bunny

My son and his new bride sailed two weeks before us on a Celebrity ship to Alaska and on sea days they were bored silly, and this is a couple on their honeymoon. They saw our video of our cruise to Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas (RCI) and were jealous. My sister and her husband who had previously sailed with HAL came with us and were VERY impressed. My son ( we live on LI and have every sort of food from bad to gourmet) said the food was just okay on his ship. Again it is personal preferences.

Radiance is a very elegant ship and anyone who goes on her will not be disappointed, but there are some who live to complain and those are the ones you hear of most often. It is too bad, I had the best trip of my entire life!

A

Alexa

I sailed on the AOS in December. The ship, the food and the crew were excellent. It was our 17th cruise with all different lines, and this was by far the greatest of them all. I have never sailed on Celebrity, so I can not compare it to them. We also go with the flow, and make the best of everything. Out of our table of 10 people, everyone had a different opinion of the days events, shows and activities. To each his own, and go and enjoy. A cruise can be what you make of it.

L

LjeanBrown

jsh, as you can see no two people are exactly alike, and opinions differ. As you stated in your post, you have cruised Celebrity before and liked it. Others prefer RCI. There is no right answer or wrong one either. We are just giving our opinions, in the end it is your choice. No matter what cruise you choose I am sure you will have a great time. After all it is a Cruise :thumb good luck with your planning and enjoy your trip :wave

D

dave

We did that itenerary in Feb on Radiance--everything was perfect. We just got back from Alaska on Radiance and was not nearly as happy. We have been on 5 RCCL's and have been completely happy with 4/5. RCCL is just a bit younger of a crowd than Celebrity and not quite as stuffy. I would recommend them to anyone that is looking to have fun and be treated well at a mid price range.

C

Christian

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean is the same company. Royal Caribbean buy Celebrity Cruise Line<><><><><><><><><><><><>

L

LjeanBrown

Christian, yes they are both owned by RCI, but they are run as 2 lines. They each have their own past passenger programs and other things onboard are not run the same.
Just like Carnival owns HAL as well as other cruise lines and they are all run as their own line.

K

Kathy N

Having sailed and enjoyed both cruise lines I would say if the dining experience is paramount to you then Celebrity would get my vote. I have enjoyed my RCL cruises tremendously but their food was not memorable.

C

castlemoor

Sailed Zenith, Horizon and Millenium on Celebrity, and Nordic Empress on RCCL. The food on Celebrity is better than RCCL, RCCL is about equal to Carnival, and all are superior to NCL. Celebrity is a little more refined, even lighter. After 2-3 days on RCCL, we felt "overfed". Alot of creamed stuff. Service on Celebrity is more professional, but RCCL's staff was more fun - the bar staff on deck dance and sing to the band. There are more late night partiers on RCCL.

Celebrity Zenith 8/98
Celebrity Horizon 8/99
Carnival Destiny 8/00
RCCL Nordic Empress 8/01
Celebrity Mille 1/02
SSNorway 5/02
Golden Princess 9/14/02
Carnival Legend 06/14/03

M

Mike W

After 25 cruises, 3 on Rccl, and 9 on Celebrity: Celebrity wins hands down on food, service, entertainment, and spa. However, RCCL has the glitz and nicer rooms.